Atoned Splendor
Made In China
GoaProductions

Tracklist:
1. Tribalize - Atoned Splendor & Sixears
2. Polysix - Atoned Splendor & Yi
3. Goblin Funk - Atoned Splendor & Acid Echoes

This one is kind of special.

Made In China is groovy, funky, devilishly rhythmic, 303-driven psytrance that sets UK producer Atoned Splendor (great name) up with three different Chinese-based producers (on China's GoaProductions label) for three phenomenal offerings.

Each track has the push and energy of full-on but rather than the typical foundation where the bass is the driving force, here everything is based around the 303 and all the manic rhythms and funk that Atoned and his three cohorts manage to wring from it. No preset computer programming, no software wizardry. Just actual performance and what a performance it is!

Sure, absolutely, seeing any China-based producers is a rare treat and celebrating this worthy label from that country is definitely a fine decision. Yet, getting too far into those details risks turning the EP into some novelty release, of which it does not deserve that distinction.

Instead, "Tribalize," "Polysix" and "Goblin Funk" deserve praise for high-mark quality. Any tag-team of producers on three different tracks should lend itself to a fair amount of diversity but not here. These three are very smooth together, as if they all came from the same producer's mind with no outside influence and the steady build of energy through the three tracks is very well done - starting with the very groovy "Tribalize" leading into the pitched-up "Polysix" where the energy explodes about halfway through and culminating in the growling, delightfully body-rocking "Goblin Funk."

The only pity is this is not a full-length album. I can only imagine the power of this one if were five or six tracks longer. As it is Made In China is three mighty, mighty tracks of great psytrance created by a helluva pairing from four different producers.

To be honest, I was not aware that much psytrance was coming out of China, much less that it was any good or that the scene there would even have their own record label. Well, now I know, and for each party involved, going forward, I am one-hundred percent all ears.

Goa Productions

• 4 weeks later...

I've been living in Shenzhen, China the last couple years. There actually is a growing scene here (I have been very pleasantly surprised, as it was not something I expected at all!). After doing many events at clubs/bars, for the past year we've done several successful outdoor underground parties here in the city in some unique locations, about once a month, as well as some beach parties! Atoned Splendor played here recently, as well as Acid Echoes.

Atoned Splendor also organized a festival in the scenic Yunnan Province earlier this month.

It's a young but very enthusiastic scene here, with a mixture of locals and expats.

Sorry; did not mean to take away from the review, but expect a lot more good things out of China in the near future :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like this EP, although it took awhile.

Atoned Splendor also made an earlier EP in 2013, 3rd Dimension. That EP was basically three different versions of one track. I liked the 1st and 2nd versions, but not the 3rd.

http://goaproductions.bandcamp.com/album/atoned-splendor-3rd-dimension