Modular Synthesizers

Panoptes

Why the microbute? Mostly just for price or is there more to it that will give it more advantages in the long run?

The MicroBrute has VCA functions which make it ideal for controlling modular, plus for less than the cost of say a Novation Impulse 49 you get a great little fully analogue monosynth that can be used for controller purposes as well.

Yeah modular is expensive but if you find a good shop they should be able to do you a great Doepfer system for the cheap. Fr example though I'm cutting costs by going the low cost 9u Doperfer cas which here is S450-500AUD alone. that leaves me around $3700 for modules which sounds like a lot but really it'll be a good system only. When I add a full The harvestmen system then it'll be a great system.

Wehn I then add a maybe a 500 series system when I'm famous and rocking Ibiza like Sven Vath (sarcasm BTW, sarcasm) it'll be awesome.

Although if it means more gear I'll happily make commercial EDM :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot guys, now I am so interested in this stuff but I know that I won't be able to get all of these toys for a while. Argh, it's torturing but it's awesome to see what folks can do with all of this stuff.

Yeah it's so tempting to extend credit limit with bank and buy it all at once!

I just bought a Moog Sub Phatty, MicroBrute (Preorder) & M-Audio Profire 2626.

Next on the list in Feb next years is a pair of Adam a5x monitore. Then I have to choose between Prophet 12 or modular.

I looked up some stuff on the Sub Phatty earlier this week, man does it sound good. I've been looking info and watching vids on several synths and there are just so much out there. The world of music is just amazing.

Just heading out to pick up my Sub Phatty now. I'll let you know what I think and post a pic later. It's my first synth since 2000. Back then I needed money so I sold my roland collection to pay for a 3 year trip overseas (303, 909, 808 & a few keyboard synths). I miss them now but would never pay the amount they go for!!

That's pretty cool, I'm definitely putting that on my list of things to check out. Have you tested it out? If you have, how is it?

Edit: So I checked out some videos, man it's pretty good. There are some differences, but otherwise it's very similar to each other.

Yes I have one, and I love it. It's close enough for me, and you can fine-tune it to your liking (at least you can if you build it yourself, as I did). There's a whole subforum at Adafruit dedicated to the x0xb0x, and people there have presented all sorts of mods in their endless quest to make it as exactly like a 303 as they can.

If you'll forgive the spammy nature of this, you can check out one of my songs where I used it for the bass and two acid layers:

https://soundcloud.com/veracohr/labyrinth-now-with-more-acid

Yes I have one, and I love it. It's close enough for me, and you can fine-tune it to your liking (at least you can if you build it yourself, as I did). There's a whole subforum at Adafruit dedicated to the x0xb0x, and people there have presented all sorts of mods in their endless quest to make it as exactly like a 303 as they can.

If you'll forgive the spammy nature of this, you can check out one of my songs where I used it for the bass and two acid layers:

https://soundcloud.com/veracohr/labyrinth-now-with-more-acid

I don't mind you posting your song at all. I really enjoyed that song. Great job on it.

All I can say is Friday afternoon's are much better spent with a Moog :P

I'm guessing you are playing around with it. I can't wait to get my paycheck and then get a synth.

Looks good & sounds great!

My realization was that for what I needed to spend on modular I can get a couple of nice synths, audio input device, mixing desk, monitors & some acoustical gear for my new studio space to get the sound nice.

My realization was that for what I needed to spend on modular I can get a couple of nice synths, audio input device, mixing desk, monitors & some acoustical gear for my new studio space to get the sound nice.

I know what you mean. I got my JP8000 used for $400 and it an amazing piece of equipment. Its one of my best buys.

Yeah they go for way too much second hanbd in Austrlia. It's madness. I'm trying to decide if I should go a Nord Lead 1 for $500 or a Novation Supernova rack for $800.

Actually I have sent the seller a request for noth for $1100 but no response since last night. Fingers crossed.

How long have you guys been involved with synthesizers? I'm only aware of one other person who is works with them, and he has been playing around with them for 5-7 years now.

On & off for the last 18 years. I sold off all my retro ones last year to help pay off my mortgage. Now I can buy some neo anologue ones. I don't miss the old ones, even though I had 2 303's, an 808 & 909. I got $12K for those alone.