6. Hollow Anne

BROKEN TOY

7. Headbanger Boogie

HEADROOM

8. Tarsonis

POLI VS BRIAN SENTIENT

9. Stay Classy (GMS rmx)

GMS VS ASTRIX

Spun Records? Better put on my full on hat.

Posted Image

Really? Hey choppers you look like you have a f*cking uterus on your head. I think something a little more in line with the history of Spun would be more appropriate.

Posted Image

Bingo. While they are probably not cheese heads, they have been known to rubber stamp carbon copy cut and paste full-on. But they make no bones about it, they are a full-on label. GMS? Poli? Astrix? I already have a pretty good idea where this is going, but I'm up for a listen.

Maybe.

The Serum- We can pick on GMS all day long (and he has deserved it), but this is a pretty good opener with a strong bass line and overall happy feel. I've stepped in deeper puddles, but as far as dance floors go I could see this working.

Space Star Ordering- "Space...what is it? The simple answer? We don't know!"

Even though he makes full on I've always felt that Chromatone's music was a cut above the norm. It was harder, edgier, grittier. No exception here as he fills all open areas with effects above a pumping rhythm. His bass lead at 2 minutes demands ass wiggling and I love the break beat in the middle. The end is a little anti climactic, but it's still worth your time.

Bend The Future (Logica Remix)- I believe this to be the Petrillo brothers giving a Sonic Species track from Neurology Vol. 3 the remix treatment. It wasn't bad, feeling fuller than the original. There was of course the almost required build up but if I heard it again 5 minutes later I wouldn't recognize it. Pre Iron Man Robert Downey your thoughts?

Posted Image

Exactly.

Freewheeler- Tristan Cooke has been holding it down for almost 2 decades so credibility he's got. The style is very Temple of One or Tales of Heads if you recall those compilations. Driving beat with echoing synths and a sample while repeated doesn't dominate the mix. It undulates with electricity lacking a central melody yet somehow remaining melodic.

The Great Outdoors- "Aww, look at that man, the GREAT OUTDOORS!"

Mad Maxx's Afterworld in 2008 was impressive to me as was Earthling's Hypernature also released in 2008. This track bubbles and skitters like something alive in the same style as the previous one. Full on well done if you ask me. See this face?

Posted Image

Are you sure this is from spun records?

Hollow Anne- Mr. Toy is hit or miss with me (usually miss), but every now and then he makes me sit up and take notice. See me? I'm lying down. It isn't terrible, but it's full-on to the bone without anything exciting to offer. I did like the break and would've loved it if whatever was going on there was better represented.

Headbanger Boogie- "I can't just smoke some regular weed and write cause regular weed don't really do nothing for your thoughts."

Sounds like someone has a wee bit of a weed problem. I used to smoke weed and would sometimes catch myself grinning like an idiot. Ever drive while high? A 5 mile road felt like 20. But that'll happen when you travel at 15 mph but feel like it's 60. This one grew on me. It built tension with a groovy as hell beat that had me dancing in my seat. Sure they beat the hell outta the sample, but I believe after decades of marijuana use that Method Man actually talks like that.

Does nothing for you thought, right buddy?

Tarsonis- Poli joins forces with the compiler with a decent track. I liked the break with the chant in there, kinda filled things out. There were sufficient changes during the whole thing so it was a good listen.

Stay Classy- Some would say that when you remix your own tracks you weren't that pleased with them in the first place. Or maybe he's a perfectionist that...Hmmm...I can't figure out how to finish that sentence. Shouldn't a remix not bore you? At this point he's just beating a horse that has been dead for over a decade. Somebody please call PETA or something?

Ron Burgundy. News Anchor. Loud Noises.

This was a pleasant surprise. It proves the maxim never judge a book by it's cover or author in this case. My apologies to Spun for doing just that. While not the greatest full-on ever this was way better than I thought it would be. Some of the tunes could've come from Blue Hour Sounds to be honest. This wasn't full-on from 2005 (thank God) and actually showed some depth while still being danceable.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saiko Sounds

Mdk

painfully bad, spun was always horribly commercial but with some releases still listenable, the last years have degraded their quality to an absolute zero, maybe just the last track vs astrix has some good vibes and a nice melody in it but sounds exactly the same as all the previous tracks

soulless factory full-on anyone?

We are destined to disagree here as you seem to have liked the last track which to me was barren like a 80 year old woman's womb. It's full-on and it's been run into the ground. Significantly by this label. However the tracks by Tristan and Mad Maxx seemed to stand out and didn't resemble the rest. I have heard much worse than this.

But there is no right or wrong, just opinion.

Mdk