Posted Image

Artist: Funky Dragon

Title: Modern Emotions EP

Label: Iono Music

Date: February, 2012

1. Day of Insomnia

2. Modern Emotions

3. Sundown Answers

Because Iono has an outstanding track record with me, I feel that whatever they release is worth checking out. This is Serbian Igor Zuzulovic with a short 3 track digital EP. He has released 2 previous albums The Algol and Massive, but I have never heard them. Now Iono is known for their layers of melody and deep atmosphere creation, but this is different.

First of all it's not subtle. Day of Insomnia is a post apocalyptic ripper of a track that also shows it's funky percussive side. This is a high speed chase in a tank that doesn't try to avoid cars...it crushes them. The beat is a pumping closed fist punch instead of the smooth transitions usually found from their artists. Second, while there are melodies, they take a back seat to the effects and storming nature of the beat. Modern Emotions is another track that is thick with dark atmosphere and bigger than Shaq beats. Like looking into the grand canyon, but instead of rock it's the remains of a ravaged city. The break really drives that point home for me. The final track begins with a staggered feel, but then after the cinematic break returns to 4/4 time. Same powerful dark vibe with maybe a little more melody.

One of the reasons I love this music is that you can dig as deep as you want to go to find things that you may have missed. There are loads of effects to sort through...layers upon layers of sound. Different than most Iono releases, it is a fresh change of pace that can be enjoyed if you're a fan of electronic music. Igor didn't knock on the door here...he blew it off it's hinges.

Psyshop

Beatport

Mdk