Artist: Wiz of Oz

Title: Emerald City Acid Party EP

Label: Acid Chemical Plant Records

Date: October, 2011

1. Fuck that mainstream shit and start banging your head

2. Acid Snowflakes

3. Alice in Technoland

"To the living...let now the dead...come alive."

So I came across this in the Label section and since it was from Acid Chemical I felt I should give it a look. Then I saw the name. Oswald Pfeiffer. None other than PharaOm, aka Baron Samdi and now...Wiz of Oz. Makes sense doesn't it? Filipe has 43 aliases and if you're gonna release something under his label might as well do it under a different name. While I was less than impressed with the Baron's effort the stuff from PharaOm always left me with a smile.

This is supposedly acid trance and if you pressed me I couldn't tell you what the f*ck that means. Got some goa sounds and it seems more raw than the ultra melodic goa we hear these days. The first track is the best with a slow saunter that has some major attitude. The bubbling 303 is a hallmark of this sound and you get over 7 minutes of it. Really entrancing with a break that you can almost feel curl around you. Couple that with the greatest track title ever and it's really win win.

I also love the title of the second track as you can just picture it. It starts out with that 303 growl that snaps at you like a dog while a small percussive element knocks in the background. Not bad, but could've used a little more bubbling, a little more meat on the bone.

The final track is the fastest and also the shortest. It seems like this was a sketchpad with a few ideas, but unfinished.

First off this is free so check it out, there is nothing to lose. 2nd, if this is the definition of acid trance, then I like it. As I mentioned it is less layered and intricate than goa, but still has some of those elements. More groove oriented. The first track was tops for me as it had it all. The rest...I could take them or leave them. Good stuff Oswald, I would be interested in hearing more stuff like the first track from you.

http://acprecords.ba...y-acid-party-ep

Mdk

I just heard this for the first time last night but it's really good IMO. It really has that oldschool vibe to it and the recording has that "warmth" to it, unlike many new tracks which seem to have a lot of hard edges to the sound. It would be interesting to know what they used for producing/recording. The 3rd track is a bit of a mess though I have to agree on that. It's not bad per say, it's just not very cohesive. I can't complain too much about free music though. :)

• 3 months later...