2. Camouflage

3. Viped 1

4. Reflex

5. Logic Evolution

6. Dimensio Desconeguda

7. Next World

8. Emotions

9. Science Fiction (feat. Green Beats)

This one slipped right by me, but I'm glad I finally caught it. Hypnoxock are Victor Solsona and Pedro Quijada and they have a very varied style. Their debut album was called Synthetic Resurrection back in 2009 and was a twilight stomper to say the least. Since then, they have released a few EP's (Acid Return Remixes and Tales of the Mind...review links below) and we have seen them tackle progressive trance as well as some downtempo all with good results. So what does this digital only release have in store? Let us find out shall we?

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61995-hypnoxock-acid-return-remixes-ep/page__hl__hypnoxock__fromsearch__1

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/60399-hypnoxock-tales-of-the-mind-ep/page__hl__hypnoxock__fromsearch__1

Magnetic Beats- I hear an acoustic guitar amid some bubbling electronica and it feels like a new day is dawning. This is a grab your coffee and bagel while you look out at the sea moment. The breakbeat slides in with some funky percussive work and I'm checking to make sure I didn't hit the wrong track. This doesn't sound like their old stuff, but it isn't bad at all. Just caught me off guard. Sounds in the break echo and I swear I can reach out and touch them. It almost sounds too commercial to be from a psytrance artist, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Camouflage- Switching styles they bring a more progressive groove on this one. Echoing effects sound good and the melody chimes in at close to four minutes. Very trancey to be sure in the Van Dyk fold. The floaty break is pretty tasty as they deliver something on the lighter side of trance. And damn if it isn't danceable. Been workin' on a few new moves lately.

Posted Image

Oh yeah, it's a ladykiller.

Viped 1- Love the dark opening, very cold and foreboding atmosphere. It has minimal touches but instead of detracting from the track these heighten the sense of isolation. As they like to do a 303 growls to life right into a break continuing the dark presence. The ending melody is very tasty indeed. This wasn't a stormer but a very feral atmospheric romp that showed its teeth. Bravo gentlemen.

The Reflex- The dark theme continues with progressive sensibilities. Effects rocket from the shadows putting one on edge. Another wide open space break as you view the planet from 6 miles up. They do more with less here as the bass line is simple, but the effect work is delicious. Only drawback? Why so f*cking short?

Logic Evolution- The cold electronics continue and like the rest this sounds very futuristic. More work without overloading the ear with effects that make the track. There is a difference between a track being nothing but effects and having those effects enhance the track. These guys are doing it right. It's a scaled down sound but it involves the listener and tells a great tale.

Dimensio' Desconeguda- Simple as simple gets. Not much happening in the beginning yet I'm still drawn in by the good effect work. I didn't care up until the 5 minute mark, but they slid a sinister little melody in there at the end. For my money though it didn't really go anywhere thus earning the coveted weakest track on the album.

Next World- Another rather long track with a minimalist approach. The break at 5 minutes was awesome, but it was the first time that I really noticed anything about the track. Before that it was rather boring, just like the last one. These have definitely erred on the lighter side of trance.

Emotions- "You have five seconds to terminate this tape."

Ahhh, back to where their bread was buttered. Great opening effects showing some mystical properties. The lead is a deep and dark techo inspired stalking springing forth from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. When the arpeggio gets here it fits right in with all the layers as the light tones echo off the ships hull.

Science Fiction- The outro represents a gurgling mass of computer hums and flashing LED's with no one to bear witness. Shimmering synths float within an empty ship. A melancholic flute laments events of the past or celebrates the power of the deity. Pretty good.

This was very interesting. Whereas Synthetic Resurrection was a sledgehammer, this is a filet knife. The former was all power and melody, this relies heavily on lush atmosphere. If I didn't know any better I would say it was from an entirely different project. Whether they have any interest in making twilight music or not, this duo have shown that they are fully capable of switching genres with great results. As I mentioned before the sound is low tech or scaled back with more enphasis on storytelling than making your ass wiggle. Most of the tracks were well done with twists to keep it fresh with only a few that wandered aimlessly about. Nice work.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/Downloads/tlb/tlb1dw003.html

http://www.beatspace.com/6200/Trance+Lab+Records/HYPNOXOCK/Logic+Evolution/detail.aspx

http://www.beatport.com/release/logic-evolution/364610

Mdk

• 2 years later...