Top Ten of 1995-98; 2000-02; 2005-11Title:____ By:_____ (V/A or DJMIX)

The last time I saw so many V/A albums was on late night TV. You know: Best of Soul...Decade of Duets...Best of the 80's, etc. With Goa/Psy, they are used as debuts. What happened to the 8-10 tracks by the same artists. I present all of you with this topic. Please list your Top Ten Goa/Psy Albums of these ten years: 95-98; 00-02; 05-11. For example:

Etnica – The Juggeling Alchemists Under The Black Light (Acceptable)

Etnica – Totemism - Etnica Remixed 1996-2006 (Not Acceptable)

¿Comprenez-vous?

EDIT: These are the my ten:

1995: Juno Reactor -- Beyond the Infinite

1996: Etnica ------------ Alien Protein

1997: Hallucinogen -- The Lone Deranger

1998: Celtic Cross --- Hicksville

2000: Asia 2001 --- Dreamland (horrible year)

2001: Electron Wave -- The Uncertainty Principle

2002: Charasmatix -- Soma Agents

2005: Shpongle ---- Nothing Lasts...but Nothing is Lost

2006: KoxBox --- U-Turn

2011: Ovnimoon -- Magnetic Portal

Why did you exclude some years? I guess I could try to post mine.

Because I wanted your best 10 years. Since there has been more than 10 years of this music, I wanted to make it challenging by random access of the past -- no linear.

Oh I forgot to do mine... this is gonna be difficult.

Thanks Penzoline -- I look forward to your top ten.

I find there is a paucity of good artist albums prior to 1996. V/As were the first step... they allowed new artists with only a few tunes available to get their sound out there and receive some feedback.

That depends. I think Israeli psy was pretty strong in 1995 (AP's Trust In Trance 2, Har-El: New Pagan World, Guy Sebbag & Gal Carmi: In Trance), and that year had more all-time classics from the British scene (Hallucinogen, Juno, TE, 2X TIP), as well as Koxbox and two Boris Blenn albums. And if you're a Psy-Harmonics fan, then the groundbreaking artist albums were all in 1993-94 (Third Eye, Mystic Force, Lumukanda, Shaolin Wooden Men, Zen Paradox).

Just to go on a tangent, I find it ironic that the biggest critical backlash to goa/psy happened around 1996... what was seen as sameness, overcommercialization and quantity over quality then is seen as a kind of golden age now. I'm more inclined to think of it as a golden age based on the weirder stuff that was being released (you had Etnica and AP, but you also had Solar Systems and Apollo 3-D) and I actually like a lot of the maligned 'formulaic' goa 12's made by super obscure underground artists... that music of 96-97 seemed more wild, colorful and psychedelic than most of the harder and darker psy of 1998 onwards.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I saw so many V/A albums was on late night TV. You know: Best of Soul...Decade of Duets...Best of the 80's, etc. With Goa/Psy, they are used as debuts. What happened to the 8-10 tracks by the same artists. I present all of you with this topic. Please list your Top Ten Goa/Psy Albums of these ten years: 95-98; 00-02; 05-11. For example:

Etnica – The Juggeling Alchemists Under The Black Light (Acceptable)

Etnica – Totemism - Etnica Remixed 1996-2006 (Not Acceptable)

¿Comprenez-vous?

That depends. I think Israeli psy was pretty strong in 1995 (AP's Trust In Trance 2, Har-El: New Pagan World, Guy Sebbag & Gal Carmi: In Trance), and that year had more all-time classics from the British scene (Hallucinogen, Juno, TE, 2X TIP), as well as Koxbox and two Boris Blenn albums. And if you're a Psy-Harmonics fan, then the groundbreaking artist albums were all in 1993-94 (Third Eye, Mystic Force, Lumukanda, Shaolin Wooden Men, Zen Paradox).

Just to go on a tangent, I find it ironic that the biggest critical backlash to goa/psy happened around 1996... what was seen as sameness, overcommercialization and quantity over quality then is seen as a kind of golden age now. I'm more inclined to think of it as a golden age based on the weirder stuff that was being released (you had Etnica and AP, but you also had Solar Systems and Apollo 3-D) and I actually like a lot of the maligned 'formulaic' goa 12's made by super obscure underground artists... that music of 96-97 seemed more wild, colorful and psychedelic than most of the harder and darker psy of 1998 onwards.

I was asking for specific albums, not a critique of the timeline. Thank You.

This Took Me 4 hours to put together. The beginning, I just put an album down because there are too many good ones. 2000-2002--slim pickens 2005-2011--don't know many so it was easier. 1999 had a lot of good releases, but I did not put it.

Okay, here goes: 1995: Juno Reactor -- Beyond the Infinite

1996: Etnica ------------ Alien Protein

1997: Hallucinogen -- The Lone Deranger

1998: Celtic Cross --- Hicksville

2000: Asia 2001 --- Dreamland (that was the most difficult year)

2001: Electron Wave -- The Uncertainty Principle

2002: Charasmatix -- Soma Agents

2005: Shpongle ----Nothing Lasts...but Nothing is Lost

2006: KoxBox --- U-Turn

2011: Ovnimoon -- Magnetic Portal

That was difficult. Whew! Challengers?