7. Ghetto Blaster Cowboy

8. On The Run

9. Fauna

10. Being Like A Stream

11. Unspoken

12. Make You Feel

13. Spiritus

14. Untitled

There is a moment in your life where you will realize that you are becoming your parents. Well, I skipped that and today felt like my grandfather God rest his soul. Not because as child I snuck up to his guest room that had the stash of Playboys while my family was downstairs. Even though I did that. Not because I am forgetting things or creaking like a rusty hinge when I get out of bed. That doesn't make me feel like him.

No, watching C-Span did that.

C f*cking Span. The most boring channel on the planet. If I wanted to watch old white men argue I would go to a family reunion. What am I doing? Politicians blaming each other for not coming up with a budget for the government. It's going to shut down and nobody wants the blame. I can't take the bickering and the fighting while each side tries to seem superior. I need a break, a retreat, a...refuge.

This is Maurizio Nalli from Canada. Hmmm...that doesn't sound Canadian. He released an album or two before this and I remember liking his style. This is put out by MSeven music which through my superior powers of deduction must be his label.

Observatory- Atmosphere breaching strings float towards the heavens reminding me a little of Blade Runner, but that is broken by a smooth and warm breakbeat. Cosmic sounds whirl about as I'm kept warm by my ships life support systems. Sure we are far from Earth, but I have the comforts of Earth with me. A soft echoing melody pings against delicate percussion and a synthesized voice. Ultra relaxing.

The Informer- A gentle piano melody twinkles above wavering strings and another breakbeat. The tone is more melancholy but just as smooth. If I was comfortable in the previous track, I now feel saddened. As if we breached a door in scientific experiments that maybe we should've left closed. Awesome.

Twilight- When the hell did Moby get here? It's an electronica piece with a soft melody above the spoken word. It's calm and soothing with a nod towards outer space. Even though the tempo is increased it still remains alluring. The lady is speaking, but I don't know what the f*ck she is talking about because the music is comforting. The vocal effects are also well done. Nice. Hold up...I can't believe I almost missed an opportunity to make fun of everyone's favorite vampire pedophiles...

Posted Image

Gone- With a retro feel the breakbeat clicks as synths hum and a sample about radiation is spoken. It's a positive track with uplifting melodies that I can't even call leads. Little pokes, arpeggios, and percussive clicks. I got the feeling of watching the sunrise from my tent while warm under a blanket. Pretty cool.

Jupiter Strings- "4 billion mile trip."

Very spacey sounds as if we are turning the corner on Mars and approaching Jupiter. It's another breakbeat rhythm with slight vocal accompaniment. Soft and delicate and hugs you like a fleece blanket. Looking out the window I can see the massive planet slowly getting larger. It's not downtempo or progressive, but somewhere in between. Really good melody work here.

Shift- "There is an element of mystery which puzzles many people in my field."

Tumbling synth lines fall over a slow beat as they fade and then pinprick synths bounce like soft rubber balls on marble. Very simple and delicious.

Ghetto Blaster Cowboy- Nice track name. With a nod towards hip-hop beats that could've been made on Filipe's electribe a leads wanders in and out. Very slow groove that will make you think you stepped into a John Wayne movie. What we have here is a true Mexican standoff people. Great samples.

On The Run- Wavering synths warble above a breakbeat with a real dreamy quality. The bass is almost unheard and the kick is...almost toylike. He has a good sense of rhythm as he gets a little funky.

Fauna- With the sounds of nature a small bass drop thumps with ethnic percussion. Tribal times 4 especially when you add the flute. The tension builds and then it just cuts out. Only to be reborn my friend. He really makes the atmosphere thick with just a few sounds. Near the end the beat gets heavier but the meditative feeling of watching a sacred ritual continues. Awesome.

Being Like A Stream- "Music of a certain kind...arouses the higher revolutions...of realization...of being like a stream."

Undulating water flows below a purely warm electro beat and synth. It reminds me of some of the Depeche Mode compositions from Ultra. Analog delicious that changes shape and goes from sweet sadness to a more positive melody, perhaps hopeful. Super smooth and relaxing. I'm so at one with the universe right now I could slip into a coma.

Unspoken- More insect voices and an ethereal voice drift above synths and a soft breakbeat. Slow and steady with a calming vocal that refuses to be intrusive. Soft strings and delicate synth lines make me feel like I am witnessing the creation of a spider web. That is lit up with the fluorescence of Avatar. Unreal. Really.

Make You Feel- I'm having a very Enya moment. Whisper soft voices that caress. No sound is alarming but all are welcome. The beat is a heartbeat, and if mine were any slower I would be dead. The vocal has the tone of an oboe as it flutters. I didn't think I could get this relaxed.

Spiritus- "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Strings fade in and out in a melancholy fashion as thunder rumbles. Cello work is reminiscent of Rena Jones, and while sadness is the tone, it is still something I am drawn to.

Untitled- "People need something to believe in like you say. But you won't be able to have it your own way much longer. Cause the country ain't the same anymore. And I'm already feeling a stranger myself."

Amen to that. Still, couldn't that have been worked into the final track somehow instead of being a "track" on it's own. Who am I to criticize. I'm just a guy that criticizes.

I don't really know what to say here. This has to be one of the most relaxing albums I have had the occasion to listen to. Some tracks are hopeful, some sad, but all are superbly well done. You can hear every note, every stroke with a shocking clarity. The music was very beautiful and will lift you on waves of warm melody. The tracks are nice and short so they are easily digestible. The guy bends genres also, going from dub to downtempo to electronica all while dropping a smooth beat that is never intrusive. This really gets my vote for Chill Album of the year. Move over Aes Dana. Step aside Asura. There is a new sheriff in town.

CDBaby

Mdk

• 1 year later...