Koxbox - Crystal / World Of Illusions

pixma

Koxbox - Crystal / World Of Illusions

Posted Image

Artist: Koxbox

Title: Crystal / World Of Illusions

Label: Where’s The Party (WTP)

Date: 1993

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Koxbox-Crystal-World-Of-Illusions/release/177089

Track listing:

A1: Crystal

A2: Orientalic

B1: World Of Illusions

Review:

Ok I don’t know why it took me so long, but I do want to contribute and here it is.

Together with “Acid Vol. 3/Birdy” this is one of Koxbox’s first records. Discussing which came first is rather pointless, as both records have the same degree of old school in them. Discussing which is better is even more pointless, and I must admit that this one has grown on me as much as the other one has.

Crystal

The track starts out with an eerie atmosphere, and an understated bass-line. The main melody kicks in, but initially it sounds like it has had all its air punched out. Quickly the melody is twisted into something really wicked, and the track is in full motion. With extra tribal percussion and the usual koxbox squelches, clicks and pops, we’re suddenly presented with a mystical oriental melody. A strange voice asks “did you enjoy that!?” I certainly did, and I am left to enjoy the rest of the track, which ends with some synths I swear I have heard in the beginning of some Transwave track (Land of Freedom).

Orientalic

This is the original version of Orientalic, found in a newer 95-remix on the Forever After album. The newer version has some tabla on in, making it more “orientalic”. However this older version I feel is more “electronic” and analogue, since the playfulness and the experimental side of this track is more pronounced. The two tracks remain similar and exist as a testament to the way Koxbox was able to combine a sound that is very techno and hypnotic with one that has hints of Arabic/Indian patterns and is very psychedelic.

World of Illusions

This Track is not as oriental as the other two. But the track clearly makes up for this with its length and some twisted Danish techno. The main melody doesn’t change much during this long track, but it is supplemented with a lot of hypnotic and very playful synths and crazy tribal percussion. The track ends in a dreamy synth, soothing us out of this little crystal-gem.

The tracks presented here is not as hard hitting as the ones on “Acid Vol. 3/Birdy”, and they dwell just below 130 bpm. However the tracks contain an understated mystical wickedness not found on “Acid Vol. 3/Birdy” which I have really come to enjoy.

How old-school are these first released tracks of Koxbox? Well they do sound more techno than trance as we know it now. But they have an attention to detail and playfulness not found on first releases of other trance artists (Doof - Disposable Hymns to the infinite, Transwave - Datura). They sound just as old to Forever After, as Forever After to Dragon Tales, but at the end of the day they all sound great!

Pixma

• 3 years later...

"Crystal" is a fantastic track. If one can put aside the dated recording sounds then they are in for one helluva trip. Pixma is dead-on when they stated "The main melody kicks in, but initially it sounds like it has had all its air punched out. Quickly the melody is twisted into something really wicked, and the track is in full motion." This is a great one, truly timeless and even more special because it's from the beginnings of the Goa sound.

"Orientalic" is not very impressive, though. This is a track that definitely shows its age, layered with annoying video game effects, it's a tough one to take serious.

Unfortunately, I have not heard "World Of Illusions" yet but if it is "some twisted Danish techno" then I'm excited about the possibilities.