Doing an interview with Peter Candy of Koxbox this saturday

GagaISM

Talking about post Peter Candy Koxbox. What do you people think about The Great Unknown?

Hmm...Let me think...IT IS ONE OF THE BEST EDM ALBUMBS I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!!! When I first heard it, I was convinced that KoxBox had done it -- they had put Psytrance in the main room, with the 2:00am slot. "The Great Unknown" is perfectly titled. This album was genius, an opus of electronica. It is groovy, hard, smooth, full-on, soulful, and beyond. This album made psytrance, danceable. The Great Unknown is the definition of break-through. Of course, I only have 19 years of intimately active participation to base my opinion. I compare this album to the string theory in theoretical physics. It links it all together.

KOXBOX IS THE SHIT!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KoxBox WAS the shit.

I got a little nostalgic and forgot that was 11 years ago. Well, I always liked KoxBox, I mixed one of their tracks on my mixtape. But, they never blew me away like Posford. Until, "The Great Unknown." That was just such an magnificent ray of hope. It is such a complete album. Breaks, Groove, Jazz, House, Trance, Techno, Psytrance, Ambient, and of course the mind-blowing, shredding, and just fucking sick, "Doppelganger." The audio manipulation and quality of samples was so crisp and thick..."There is a major problem in Australia...The Japanese People...Om...."

Was it a fluke? It has all the elements I want to hear when I go to a party. Perfect.

Oh, hey Elysium...I found an interview from Gil...I will post it on the other forum. He is such a hypocrite. Or, he really has delusions of grandeur. Also, I remember the distribution point in S.F. for 95% of the psytrance. It was Ceiba Records. I remember, the guy had no idea about raves, he had money, and I know one the DJ's that was a major influence on making sure that the parties were Goa style. Adam...something. And, I realize that it was because of the need to recreate Goa, they destroyed "the trance, hypnotic effect." So check the other forum...

BTW, Did you get my message regarding your 199?-2011 mix? Superb...IDK why the concept of mixing is so absent from Psytrance...I always see people commenting on how other genres, the DJ's trainwreck. You know they try to compare it to psytrance. The logic so flawed.

The album may be danceable.

However, it is not psytrance, but rather clubby progressive.

Visine...I need some Clear Eyes. WTF? Clubby Progressive? Please link me to the clubby progressive site. I had no idea that KoxBox sold out. I am always looking for enlightenment. I don't think we listened to the same album. Clubby Progressive? Like

Sarah McLachlan - Possession (rabbit in the moon mix)? That is what I think is clubby progressive.

"Visine...I need some Clear Eyes."

If I was you, I'd go for something to clear my ears instead, but hey, suit yourself.

"WTF? Clubby Progressive? Please link me to the clubby progressive site. "

You're welcome to google and find plenty of such sites yourself. Why do you need my help?

"I had no idea that KoxBox sold out. "

Hold your horses, noone ever said they sold out. They did shift their sound to closer resemble progressive on this album and that

likely has to do with departure of Peter Candy and contributions of Ian Ion. I think they executed those ideas better on their Saikopod - Phutures And Options album, but that's just me and my taste.

If someone had to press me to pick one album where they sold out, it would be "U-Turn"....sold out to Full On

Hey there. I just wanted to let you know that the interview turned out pretty neat. I'll spend the rest of the night and tomorrow transcribing/translating it.

Ps. The Great Unknown clubby? What club is that? :blink:

The same club Atmos, Son Kite etc. used to play at.

:D

I'm sitting here typing my fingers off. I'm actually surprised at how good this interview turned out. I was pretty nervous. But there is quite a few things in it that Ian and Frank haven't touched upon. :P

I thought you talked to Peter and not Frank or Ian.

Are you saying you talked to all 3 of them?

All I meant is that Peter sheds light on a few things that wasn't discussed in the interviews I have been able to find with Frank and Ian.

Guest nectarios

The same club Atmos, Son Kite etc. used to play at.

Laugh.Out.Loud. I understand if you only like Goa or whatnot, but saying The Great Unknown is clubby progressive, not psy-trance and was anything like the stuff Atmos and Son Kite released at the time, or ever generally, really made me chuckle. Yes its your opinion, taste, whatever, but damn that was some funny shit. :D

Peace out.

I don't see what's so funny.

If I was to put a name tag on this tune, it would be progressive :

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vpzWh4noh_Y

Certainly not psytrance in my book...

You got to get your genre naming correct. This is Tribal with a deep bottom if anything. I don't hear anything progressive as in Sonkite etc.IMO this is also quite psychedelic simply because they allow you to get into a state of trance in this excellent tune.

You got to get your genre naming correct. This is Tribal with a deep bottom if anything. I don't hear anything progressive as in Sonkite etc.IMO this is also quite psychedelic simply because they allow you to get into a state of trance in this excellent tune.

Please, get off your "state of trance" high horse already. You damn well know it's subjective.

Go to Discogs and have a look at the genre tag for The Great Unknown and any of the first 3 Son Kite albums.

It says "Psy-Trance, Progressive Trance" for all of them.

Besides, I don't see how "tribal" elements would disqualify it from being "progressive".

Is this "tribal" and "deep" enough for you:

Please, get off your "state of trance" high horse already. You damn well know it's subjective.

Go to Discogs and have a look at the genre tag for The Great Unknown and any of the first 3 Son Kite albums.

It says "Psy-Trance, Progressive Trance" for all of them.

Besides, I don't see how "tribal" elements would disqualify it from being "progressive".

Is this "tribal" and "deep" enough for you:

Why so angry? Got the wrong leg out of the bed this morning? :)

Guest nectarios

I don't see what's so funny.

If I was to put a name tag on this tune, it would be progressive :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpzWh4noh_Y

Certainly not psytrance in my book...

Fair enough. If I was to talk about your psy-trance book, I would say you wouldn't recognize a psychedelic trance tune even if it slapped you across the face.

Seriously saying The Great Unknown sounds like Son Kite and Atmos, means that you either simply don't like the style enough to hear the massive difference in vibe, or you have a very specific set of boxes, a trance tune needs to tick, in order to be trance....which again is fair enough.

Peace out.

.......... I would say you wouldn't recognize a psychedelic trance tune even if it slapped you across the face.

Same can be said about the music you produce...

Seriously saying The Great Unknown sounds like Son Kite and Atmos, means that you either simply don't like the style enough to hear the massive difference in vibe, or you have a very specific set of boxes, a trance tune needs to tick, in order to be trance....which again is fair enough.

How about flipping the coin of that argument?

Maybe you like The Great Unknown so much that you have hard time seeing someone say it is not Psytrance....

I think that particular album and A Major Problem In Australia EP are closer in vibe to Son Kite and co. than Forever After and Dragon Tales.

Guest nectarios

Same can be said about the music you produce...

Obviously.

How about flipping the coin of that argument?

Maybe you like The Great Unknown so much that you have hard time seeing someone say it is not Psytrance....

I don't have a hard time reading your opinion. I did find it amusing though.

I think that particular album and A Major Problem In Australia EP are closer in vibe to Son Kite and co. than Forever After and Dragon Tales.

You're stating the obvious here mate. The Great Unknown is a lot less "goa" than their previous output. Its less "goa", a lot more "psy-trance" ;)

Peace out.

This discussion of what's psychedelic and what's not is pretty tiresome. I personally never found traditional Goa trance to be "psychedelic". It's just good melodic trance music with a central asian vibe. I think "The Great Unknown" is much more spaced out than any Astral Projection tune or album.

Guest nectarios

This discussion of what's psychedelic and what's not is pretty tiresome. I personally never found traditional Goa trance to be "psychedelic". It's just good melodic trance music with a central asian vibe. I think "The Great Unknown" is much more spaced out than any Astral Projection tune or album.

+1 although I did have religious experiences with Goa tunes. I was trippin my balls off, but listening to my old 12"s at home, straight, still got me into a trance vibe.

Peace.

You're stating the obvious here mate. The Great Unknown is a lot less "goa" than their previous output. Its less "goa", a lot more "psy-trance" ;)

OK, cool. I suppose that make sense.

Some peoples' definitions of Psytrance tend to be more inclusive than mine.

TGU is just not "trippy" enough for me to qualify as "Psy" and tends to emphasize the "groove" aspect instead which is why I labeled it as Progressive..... at least to my ears, but now were are talking about tastes and perceptions.

Anyways, back to the original topic...looking forward to the interview.