4. Killer Buds - Our Reality

5. Paratox - Ape Escape

6. Efflorum - Hora No Shinrin

7. Captain Kirk - Bee Sting

8. Kashyyyk - Yuca

9. Fractal - Traumturnberg

10. Nebula Meltdown - Fractal Ethics

11. Intriga - Running With Scissors

First off this is not brought to you by a hippie cult. People of the Butterflies is an actual netlabel. Second, let's be clear. The only Anima Mundi that you need concern yourself with is

Posted Image

But, since I am still broke, this comes along at a good time. Ektoplazm releases quality music for free, and since the price is right I'm all in. Good thing too, because this was a nice treat with very good tracks that I wasn't expecting.

4 The Music- This is Raz Kfir and believe it or not he has released 3 albums and a handful of compilation tracks. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Production wise this sounds great, but it is just pure generic full-on. If you use the number instead of spelling it out ("4" instead of for) then you can pretty much guarantee that there will be less flavor than a vegetarian dinner party. Or to put it another way...

Posted Image

System Surfer- Another mystery artist, but this track has a little more punch. The effects help and what stands out most is the female vocal humming. Interesting and wholly unexpected. Sure it's full-on, but surprising stuff like this is a nice treat. Some slight goa flavors make this pretty good and heading in the right direction.

West Meets East- Eki Jokisalo is now the face of the Sienis project and is responsible for 1 wonderful album From A Nutter's Perspective and then there was whatever Seriously Unserious was. Here he brings a ragged and unrelenting bass line that turns the funk meter up to ummm...

Posted Image

He changes tempo, adds acoustic guitar with a nice melody and drops right back into the trance realm without you even realizing it. Awesome layering and a fun time. Everything you could want in a psy track. Great job.

Our Reality- Brazilians Marcelo Espindola & Tarcisio Mainardi are established twilight music mavens with 2 albums to their credit and a sh*tload of comp stuff. They bring it here, although I feel they rely a little to much on the computerized voice like I do with gifs ;)

Posted Image

Too subtle?

Nonetheless, it is pretty good, but we have all heard them do better. What do you want, it's for free?!?

Ape Escape- I think this is the first track by this artist and if the ominous melody and SAW chuckling mean anything we have ventured into dark territory. The bass is fast paced (go figure) with other bass sounds bubbling like a well used bong in a college frat house full of trust fund babies and their popped collars and beamers.

Posted Image

Ah, there you go.

The lead rips over all else and creates a good groove. I like the break which brings back the beginning melody and the track continues to power on. Good twilight stuff.

Hora No Shinrin- For all I know this is your mom behind the decks and let me tell you she's got the goods! Good bounce to this one as pads wail somewhere far away. Your mom chokes that chicken like a geek spending the night trawling for cybersex. It's dark and has cool effects. Light on melody, but thick with eerieness. Think Braincell's latest, but with some more direction. Love the percussive clanging, so pretty good stuff. The climax is pretty sweet, but then again aren't they all?

Bee Sting-

Posted Image

Man, Uhrua is not going to like where this is going...

With a groovy bass line and forest atmosphere, melody lines take an atonal turn, driving deeper and deeper into the woods. Deliciously dark with rhythm that doesn't quit. The percussion runs I could've done without, but that is minor. This artist is good at layering sounds and effects keeping the vibe tight. Awesome night-time journey into the forest.

Yuca- Any artist with that many consonants in their name has to make Darkpsy right? Well, he does and it is just what you would expect. Droning bass line with effects all over the place. Melody? Yeah keep walking. The only light you will see here is in your rear view mirror. While not as intense as some DarkPsy I have heard, this would be perfect for Satan's waiting room. Pictures of tortured souls on the wall, old magazines, and of course the mountain of paperwork you would have to fill out because you're a new arrival. Kinda like this...

Posted Image

"Now serving #876,598,356,123..."

Traumturnberg- More darkness without light and that's cool if you're into that sort of thing. Even without melody it is still kinda groovy, but that will only take you so far. Eventually it becomes a little silly. Like this:

Posted Image

Fractal Ethics- This is Kristian Aro who had a great track on the Temple of Chaos disc so I was curious to see what he conjured up for this compilation. For about 3 minutes I took a quick snooze, but then he broke out with a nice chiming melody sort of like a child's lullaby. Kinda creepy. I thought it went on a little too long, but new sounds were added to thicken it up a bit. The last minute really shines. A little more detail in the beginning would've made this better.

Running With Scissors- One of the main reasons I checked this out was this artist. I used to frequent mikserri.net or whatever the f*ck it was and download his stellar goa trance tracks. Countermine. Stupify. Orgy, just to name a few. I would love for him to release a goa trance album as I find his style similar to Artifact303. With his track here it is psy all the way. A racing, eerie melody scrambles above an ominous pad and an equally quick bass line. I'm not even close to being a conisseur of Suomi and all its weirdness, but this sounds only slightly crazy. He's got the circus organ sounds working like an evil show is coming to town.

Posted Image

I said crazy not retarded. That's not fair, I like some of their music believe it or not.

Not impressed really, but that's because I was hoping he would sneak some goa in here. This sounds like he had some sh*t he was messin' around with and decided to give it away. Not much in the way of imagination. Sadness.

Pretty good for the price of zero, I must say. Darkpsy isn't my thing so I preferred the 1st half of the compilation to the 2nd. There are a few really good tracks here so if you're looking for some good tunes and all you got is lint in your pocket, get to downloadin'.

Download

Mdk

11. Intriga - Running With Scissors

Not impressed really, but that's because I was hoping he would sneak some goa in here. This sounds like he had some sh*t he was messin' around with and decided to give it away. Not much in the way of imagination. Sadness.

You kinda stole my thoughts there. :)

Knowing the artist irl, having witnessed his live-act several times, I know he's one of the most talented nuskool goa producers out there.

I've wondered why he doesn't release an album. He certainly would have label(s) for it.