Goa subgenres...

Guest Short Circuit

Hi!

I am cataloging my Goa music, and was wondering, what kind of Goa subgenres are there ?

Im looking for names like, minimalistic, full on, progressive...

W

Guest ukiro

I don't like using such labels for genres; I keep mine sorted per label, and in catalogue number order within each label (singles first, then albums) so for Blue Room (just an example) I have them in this order:

BR002

BR004

BR007

BR008

BR010

BR011

BR016

BR019

BR027

BR030

BR062

BR067

BR072

BR088

BR026P

BR066LP

BR073LP

BR079LP

If I sorted my records by how they sound, I would have to reorganize them every day, becasue depending on my mood, I could have atmos stuff in some home-listening pile or with minimal, or progressive, or... well you get the idea. and if it's only for some database; then why would you want genres?

I do have goatrance/psytrance separated from other trance and techno though. but thats about as precise as it's possible to get, and honestly the latest spirallianz album is more techno than trance, just as some old planet rhythm releases are more trance than techno.

Guest Navigator

DAMN! Call it whatever you want dude!

Make 2 folders: Good music and Bad music......

Sorry for this 'stupid' reaction but can't you think of a few names yourself????

Guest Mindtwister

Hmm... It's very diffucult, but you might sort it like:

progressive

chill-out

full-on

psycedelic

old-school

but the thing is that may tracks has influences from more then one of these subgenres. For example a track can be psycedelic but still old-school and progressive =)

I sort my cds after letters...

ex:

A:

Astral projection

Analog Pussy

Astrix

Alien project

B:

Bitmonx

Blue planet Corporation

C:

Chakra & Edi Mis

And so on...

Take care and im sorry for my bad english, dont have time to look after grammar or spelling this time =)

I organize my stuff like this:

Chill (ambient to downtempo, anything a bit relaxed)

Deep (progressive and deep trance - vibrasphere, 12 moons, human blue)

Goa (the real stuff)

Psytrance (most modern releases)

Strange (finnish/aussie/japanese sound and eat static)

Techno (hard as authentik, deep as auricular)

Trance (cheeze i rarely listen to... yahel, armin, etc)

Other

Its a bit tricky to sort like that on a shelf, because most of what I own is Goa, followed by a lot of Psy, and then just random smatterings of the rest... though all my 'Deep' stuff is really growing; its mainly what I like these days. Thank you Sweden ;)

peace

good list basilisk, but you forgot about the newest gener: psy-pop: GMS, Alien Project, 1200 mics, 3D Vision style and so on... you get the idea right? It´s all about making groovie basslines with a lot of "psy" sounds comeing and going without a reazon useing voie samples saying things about drugs and stuff...

v4K

v4K I have a folder for that too - its called the trash bin...

Trust me, I could easily go off on a huge rant about how hard that music sucks... I try to remain respectful as much as possible though ;) still... I NEVER THOUGHT THERE WOULD EVER EXIST SUCH A THING AS PSY-POP!!!!! WTF!!!! *frenzy*

oh and here's a copy-paste of my reply in a similar topic about a month ago. I'm so proud of this post that I felt it would be a loss for humanity if it got lost in the old topics :-))))

"here's my list of "sub-genres" (not perfect, you can always find flaws cause any clasification method is bound to show its limits, but like Aaron said, I find it good to say what sub-genre a person likes so he/ she can find CDs he/ she likes more easily)

morning trance: well, there are 2 categories in there...

sub-subgenre 1 is the "real" morning trance as purists would say, rather slow BPM, never above 120 and very relaxed airy feeling, with a lot of nature samples. examples: Feuerhake, Kode IV, Zorba, Bodh Gaia, Element, Son of the Light, 1200 Micrograms - Ayahuasca... (this is also what comes closts to the "original trance" that was played in Goa in the early 90s)

sub-sub-genre 2 (my favorite!!) , (also called israeli-trance cause most artists making it were from Israel, although this is changing now) is more dancefloor-oriented, the kind of music that's played in parties when the sun rises: fast, between 130 - 150 BPM, usually very emotional and "catchy". Usually you go home from a party having that tune in your head. Examples: Yahel - Last Man in the Universe, Chi AD- Eye am the I, Astral Projection - People Can Fly, Zorba - Datora, Space Tribe Vs. Electric Universe - Alkaloid Experiement, Transwave - The Rezwalker, UX - Masters of the Universe, Ra -ROM, Dimension 5, Man With No Name - Teleport... (you can probably tell by the tracklist that this is what was usually called "goatrance" around 1996 by record labels that thought they coined a new "hip" term)

3D Vision-style/ Full-on (called like this because the label "3D Vision" specialized in this kind of music, but then they were copied by many labels): fast 140- 150 BPM, melodic but more harsh-sounding, more on the agressive side of things (and some would say "more E-oriented"). Examples: Talamsaca - Come On, Absolum - Drumatrix, Nomad, GMS, Alien Project...

Minimal/ Psy-tekk: more techno-influenced, a lot less "challenging" then the other styles, more bass-driven. This style hit us around 1998, and some loved it and considered it was a welcome change to the usual melodic stuff, others (like me...) found it had nothing to do with "psy". Untill this year, about 80% psy releases were minimal, but this is changing now. Anyway, that doesn't mean you can't find artists that are doing good stuff... Examples: X-Dream - Radio (the one that started it all IMO), Kopfuss Resonator, Shiva Chandra - Gecko, MOS - Drive,...

Nitzhonot - Well, most people will say this isn't really psy... it's done mostly in Israel and Greece and it sounds like kids playing around with cartoon-samples and melodic psy ideas, but not something very coherent. It's sorta like melodic/ israeli trance pushed to the limit of commericalism. Examples: Eyal Barkan, Holy Men, Cyan,...

Industrial goa - Harsh, dark-soudning goa, with distorted noises, fast, indsutrial-inflenced. Examples: Battle of the Future Buddhas, Tim Schuldt - Single Collection, Ka-Sol,...

Finish trance/ aussie trance/ Psyharmonics stuff: (called like this cause most artists doing it are from Finland/ Australia/ or usually release their stuff on the labe Psyharmonics): Very wierd trance, with a lot of crazy and innovative ideas, very random, doesn't seem like it's "going somewhere". Some love it, others utterly hate it. Examples: Texas Faggot, Haltya, early Space Tribe, Shaolin Wooden Men, Loopus in Fabula, Odd Harmonic...

... well, there you go, this isn't perfect, but it will allow you to clasify about 90% of the releases out there..."

SMI²LE

goa

psytrance

minimal

progressive

goa-psy-trance

psy-goa-trance

minimal-goa-psy

minimal-goa-trance

progressive-minimal

minimal-progressive

goa-psy-goa-minimal-psy-goa-porgressive

minimal-psy-goa-psy-fucking-good-music-progressove-psy-goa-trance

u dont need more than these

This is how I categorise my records:

Stacks 1&2: on the shelf. Nice colorful stacks.

Stack 3: By the monitor. "Chori chori chupke chupke - Emaar films international soundtrack" on top. Not so many cds in this one.

Stack 4: On top of a loud-speaker. Aesthetically pleasing, but tends to fall down to the floor. Baaad.

Stack 5: Next to the right-hand side cdj-player. Not so much of a stack, but rather a pile. This stack changes it's shape constantly, hence the nickname "shapeshifter".

Sub-stack 6: The poor records that keep falling down between the wall and the desk form this category. I recently found " The Green Nuns of the Revolution - Rock bitch mafia" form down there, such a nice surprise. Very cool category, but not so easily accessible. Takes some time and patience.