MINIMAL IS DEAD!!!!!!

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

Its not hard to understand why its dead...After Atmos' Headcleaner (1999) hardly any minimal album added anything significant to the genre imo.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dr Hoffman

I like minimal, not as much as full on. I think minimal has its time of the day to be listened, as full on. In the night, full on...althrough until the break of morning. In the day, its minimal time. You cant play minimal in the night cause youd fall asleep, you need some nerve altering music to keep you awake. And minimal comes in handy in the day, since its very sensual and has a good follow trough, you could fall into its trance very quickly. So asi you can see, both sides have a functions, as day and night.

I was also verrry pleased with the down size minimal has had these past months. FINALLY, after release after release of minimal, the craze is over.

But fear not MINIMAL lovers, as cuantity has reduced it self to quality.

Area 51 II is arecent GREAT release for the minimal lovers.

But, full on is the king, and it shall be.

Regards

Guest Setsuko

once again this discussion is ridiculous

Lemmiwinks , if you say 03 is the year that the minimal trend officially ??? ended ... you really don't know shit about it ... it just simple ... if you're not digging the style , you just don't know what's upcoming and what are fresh releases . just like I don't dig full-on I don't know shit about it . but you ain't gonna see me saying full-on is dead . what was your point anyway.

--==1400MiLeS==-- , after Atmos - Headcleaner we have lots of fresh innovative minmalistic psytrance .

X-Dream / Irritant

Son Kite !!!

Tegma

Vibrasphere

Human Blue

Midi Miliz

Ticon

Morphem

etc.

all with their own style , no copycats imo like the french/cheezeraeli full-on

we all know progressive psy is based on qualityproduction and shakey hypnotic tribal grooves ...

Subtility . no chaos .. the world we live in today is allready full-on enough.

Guest Setsuko

on the other hand , it's all based on our roots .. if you were an ex-rocker , ex-gabber , ex-clubber ... you'll definitely like full-on psytrance .

different past subcultures together form another subculture , but can't possibly have all the same opinion and feelings...

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

Setsuko...Minimal is not the same as techtrance imo...How can a fuzzy and in-your-face sound like X-Dream be minimal?

"Lemmiwinks , if you say 03 is the year that the minimal trend officially ??? ended ... you really don't know shit about it ... it just simple ... if you're not digging the style , you just don't know what's upcoming and what are fresh releases . "

well, like I said, between 99 and 03 about 90% new releases were minimal, now that trend is dying... wasn't I clear enough? That doesn't mean that there aren't ANY fresh minimal releases anymore, simply that there are (far) LESS releases than in the previous years!!! And I'm not saying that those releases are BAD!! simply that the proportion is changing. I was merely pointing that out, I didn't mean to bash minimal again cause you all already know that it's not really my style...

"on the other hand , it's all based on our roots .. if you were an ex-rocker , ex-gabber , ex-clubber ... you'll definitely like full-on psytrance "

now sorry Setsuko but that is just ridiculous!!! IMO people that WERE into goa from the beginning appreciate full-on better whereas people that were into techno (clubbing) before tend to like minimal!!! You got it all backwards!!! Minimal was here AFTER full-on!!!! Artists like AP, Transwave, MWNN etc. basically created something new from scratch when you listen what was out in the other electronic music scenes at the time, whereas minimal is clearly techno with added "psychedelicness" to it. Hell, even Son Kite himself admits to bringing Detroit techno influences into psy. They didn't create their sound, they adapted techno to psy!! which isn't to say it's bad, to each his own, but don't tell me that a "true" trancer is more into minimal...

SMI²LE

Guest Setsuko

I'm not talking about true trancers , jeez ...

first we had goa .. the it splitted into minimal/prog and full-on .. nothing was first imo ... have you heared Planet Ben's first album dated from the very beginning and sure is not full-on on ...

second .. there are now as much minimal releases like in the previous years .. only to many rookies started making and copying full-on , so based on percentage yes there are less minimal releases ... agree

but starting a topic like that ... you should be aware It sounds like bashing in my point of view . very unmature ... you're not a teenager anymore so please formulate your statements a bit more subtle. so we can have a descent discussion...

Guest Setsuko

after years of listening to psytrance and to be a part of this community . I've always been a minimal lover but during my experiences I became a real full-on hater .. due to the childish manners and oh so un-plur full-on fisherprice fluoro-trance statements ...

nuf said

heh so u guys maybe first have to consider what exactly is minimal :) because i can't accept statements like "Human Blue is minimal" or "Irritant is minimal :) first listen to some iboga releases (which are really minimalistic psytrance) ethnobotany for example...the listen to x-dream or human blue..you'll hear a lot more sounds in irritant and electric roundabout trust me...and so minimalism is not only part of the psytrance or electronic music but a part of the modern art, it's a kind of expression just like impressionism...so minimalistic psytrance is just a part of the whole thing called minimalism :) i don't understand why so many people say minimal instead of progressive or tech-trance...because not every progressive or tech-trance release is minimalistic...you can have much more sounds in progressive track than in a typical full on track...so is progressive necessery minimalistic? NO. especially human blue...so many different sounds, melodies and layers...how can you just imagine that it is minimalistic?

anyway that was kinda offtopic...

My opinion is that minimal is not dead...there were great minimalistic releases and i hope there will be even better ones, even if i don't like this kind of psytrance at all but sometimes my ears want to hear something different...and at that moments i listen to this soo massive minimalistic tracks :)

I can't understand people like 'Setsuko' :) are you sure that you are part of the community??? how can a part of something to hate another part of the same thing? why you guy are so so so narrow minded...and you call yourself part of the community...then i hope i'll never become part of this community full of haters like you!

so ppl minimal is NOT dead!!!

P.S. please learn which is minimalistic and which is not ;) and don't mess minimal with progressive and/or tech-trance...it's not the same, even if there are many minimal progressive and tech-trance!!!

And love the music, minimal or not ;)

I was thinking the same thing: Human Blue is not minimal in any way.

And Setsuko: not every person who prefers oldschool-goa/full-on/melodic-progressive etc. is a fluoro wearing grungie hippie wanna be whose all about the fake PLUR ;)

In my case Lemmiwinks is right. I prefer oldschool sound and full on stuff (as well as things like Human Blue and the new Vibrasphere) becasue I started really passionately listening to *goa*trance then developed a taste for its various offshoots.

That's not to say I don't have any minimal albums or don't like them. Who knows? If I had started listening to trance during the minimal craze, maybe that would be my favorite, but I doubt it.

And one final note: Setsuko said "but the style is just not accessible for every psy freak" I find that comment a bit insulting and/or snobbish. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but I can't help but get a bit of that vibe in some of your above comments. But anyway, I think you will find that many trance nuts can access the minimal trance sound and follow its groove and subtle changes in a few carefully placed sounds, THE KEY IS that they don't like that sound or style because of how it makes them feel or, more accurately, how it doesn't make them feel. Different strokes for different folks.

yeah khogg i TOTALLY agree with you!

and one more thing...u hate full on lovers man...check what i've posted in the topic about the best 2003 releases...yes i'm full on lover, but i'm also progressive lover and ambient lover? I actually don't know even one human who is so deranged to listen only to full on...so by hating people who like full on you actually hate big part of the psytrance people...

and one suggestion : try listening to music with more positive vibes :) you don't need all these bad feelings about so many nice people...

...and never forget to love the Music, because it's the most important thing in your life! :)

Guest staffan

the minimal is not dead... sorry to say because I hate that kind of music. go to a party i Sweden and you´ll understand. the last 2 years I´ve visit 5 or 6 good parties. minimal is killing me. I whant real psytrance... here it´s almost only minimal trance and proggressive house.... I´m very happy that hallucinogen is going to play in copenhagen in october. the last big party I visited where when tim schuldt played for almost 2 years ago...

Guest jimi horton

Music is not so black and white... there is music that obviously fits into one category/type versus another. This is not always the case. The best music, imo, is the stuff that defy the boundaries of genre, style, or current sytles. The greatest thing about psy/goa trance is that there are so many new artists continually breaking the mold of what we hear. In fact, people who truly love this music demand it! :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that music is music. If you spend all your time trying to classify it and only leave your self open to one style, your going to miss something good. There are only two real classifications of music. Good and bad. To say that you hate any style over another is an absurd statement these days when so many artists known for one style have experimented and created beautiful music in a completely different one as well.

Peace and good vibes to all.

we listen to the best music in world. it should unite us rather then divide us. just my 0.02

.J

excuse me while I go hug a tree :D

It brings me infinite pleasure to notice that Setsuko, once believed to be an undercover agent of a German group planning to take over the world with minimal march-music, is posting again and obviously as determined as ever. Way to go!

(And no, I can not see why the "death of minimal" would be very high on anyone's wishlist. What's the problem, listen to what you like, people.)

It brings me infinite pleasure to notice that Setsuko, once believed to be an undercover agent of a German group planning to take over the world with minimal march-music, is posting again and obviously as determined as ever. Way to go!

(And no, I can not see why the "death of minimal" would be very high on anyone's wishlist. What's the problem, listen to what you like, people.)

Guest Setsuko

he he ...

khogg ... not accessible for every psyfreak because imo minimal psy is not focused on power and fast wicked synthlines... hypnotic grooves are most important , something full-on freaks define as boring .

... indeed I sometimes feel lonely ;-) because almost every forum I navigate through only consist of full-on addicts . nobody can recommend me something interesting .

and mister :P

call me narrow-minded whatever .. besides progressive psytrance I listen to lots of ambient and chill , breakbeat , electro , ... my big love for warp-records and FSOL . even playing djembe and didgeridoo ...

Yes, well that's true. The main criticism of minimal is that's "boring" and "monotonous" and so on, also that it lacks melody, emotion, power, etc.

For my money though, I really like music that combines some power, with melody, hypnotic, AND groovy. I want to have my cake and eat it too!

I think the latest Human Blue album and Vibrasphere do this in some places and I love those albums for that reason.

Guest ironmonkey

I'm with you setsuko. I love minimal but, I also love full on, old school goa, ambient, low dub, techno and dnb. Whatever feeds my mood.

I too am mystified by the amount of animosity towards minimal/techtrance but, to each their own. I fully enjoy shpongle, gms, delta, spirallianz, logic bomb, hux flux, koxbox, juno reactor, aphex twin, karl o'connor, big wigs, kraftwerk, ooze, etc. I feel sorry for people that don't find enjoyment in a wider array of styles.

Some say it isn't minimal itself but the over abundance of minimal releases in the past two years. While there have been a lot of minimal releases, some good and some not, there have also been a fair amount of full on and ambient seems to have really picked up in the last year to 18 months too. Haven't seen the anti-ambient threads pop up yet. I wonder if they are next.

Guest psychotronic

always the same "ignorant" people that don't know anything about psytrance styles and just want to criticise music that they don't "understand" when are they going to learn!

Guest a_ozi

hahahaha i havent been to this forum in a year or two... and still the same tired, petty, adolescent argument!...it cracks me up to read this thread.... will people ever learn to be open minded and accepting of things that aren't to their personal taste. Anyone who whinges about a style of music or art always ends up coming across as ignorant and insecure. There is absolutely no accounting for taste whatsoever. People like what they like. Starting a post like this comes from the same emotion as the US invasion of Iraq.

Anyway for the record I have a closer affinity for the smoother, progressive sounds than harder edged night music... but still love getting good hard music when it deserves to be bought.

$0.01

keep the change

PLUR