2. Knockin to the heaven door

3. For You

4. Angels

5. Forest Trip

6. Tears of a rain

7. Walking on the sky

8. Liquid Emotions

9. Gloria

When I first came across this one, I was confused. I'm thinking Kyoto, ok a Japanese downtempo artist. Wrong. Kyoto is a Russian named Vitaly Zenkov and this is his debut album. Space Baby Records is very new to the scene having released only 2 other compilations (Shamanisma and Magic Dew.) They were both very interesting so hopes are high for an interesting ride here. I don't see where Vitaly has released any other tracks so... Check out that cover. It has to be one of the best I have seen in quite some time. The striking green field has two winged nymphs playing instruments in an enchanted forest complete with entranced wildlife. Beautiful.

You get 9 tracks (well, 8 really as the first one is an intro with Russian being spoken.) So "Knockin' To The Heaven Door" comes with haunting piano and a tribal drum beat out in front of stellar pads. It creates a mystic mood keeping the listener wary as the journey begins. "For You" is a short mid-tempo number with arching effects keeping with the tribal theme. Piano tones mingle with effects letting you know you are on the right path. Very contemplative.

"Angels" has a chopped up lead soaring skyward above churning deep tones. Synths are delicately laid down furthering the atmosphere.

"Forest Trip" has one of the most beautiful intros, totally transporting the listener inside his world. A slow beat ensues, guiding you down the forested trail until it reaches a small oasis. So tender are the synths you don't want to touch anything for the fear of it dissipating. Awesome.

Heavenly strings caress spider web thin synths as they grow in intensity on "Tears of a Rain." Layer upon layer combine to give this track a mournful lushness. Awesome again!

Rich pads and a rhythmic tabla combine with analogue strings as a celestial dance begins in "Walking On The Sky." The guitar wails above the percussion as the key changes and I cannot take my eyes off this ritual. Well done.

The spirit creatures must have sensed my presence, because on "Liquid Emotions" things are sent into an upbeat chaos. This breakbeat track is the fastest bpm on the disc and really wakes you out of your dream state. But, Vitaly proves that he can craft this as well. Far away pads and modulating synths hover over the beat. The break at 3:15 is an evolving melodic dance, with effects junping into the fray. The heavy drums return to take you back to the edge of the forest.

What a "Gloria" us ride it has been! Magical effects spiral over a deep bass line. The insects from this enchanted world perform a cosmic ceremony twisting and turning, rising and falling. A slow, thunderous beat arises from the darkness as synths continue their melody. Then it all just fades into sounds of the forest.

I like what he did here. This is a pixie like ultra melodic escapade. He weaves a very vivid sonic tapestry combining wispy synths, out of this world effects and a very convincing percussive element. All of which make for a lush atmospheric journey. The tracks are not too long, and the way he fades sounds in and out as well as into each other brings a fluidity to his story. Each melodic sound is like a drop into a pool, causing the ripples to go forth and creating a very enjoyable listening experience. The music is relaxing and very emotive, matching the cover almost perfectly. This guy is one to watch and has dropped one of the best downtempo albums for me in 2009. Highly recommended.

Psyshop

Mdk

You highly like everything :(

probably says enough about the album.

Think so? You are entitled to your opinion. Tastes differ. I don't mind if someone doesn't agree with my review, I'm not the end all and be all. I'm just some guy with a lot of free time on his hands.

For starters, check out my review for the latest Bio-Tonic, Ix Lam At, and Not For Human Consumption V/A if you think they are all positive. Perhaps you should listen to an album before judging it by it's cover.

• 1 month later...

This is indeed very nice album. I'd compare it to... Aes Dana - Season 5 for natural foresty feeling, mixed with Abakus - That much closer to the sun for positive mood, with a little bit of Waterjuice and Tripswitch. Many melodies are actually beautifully haunting, specially the guitar Walking on the sky.

I listened to this album while reading a cyberpunk novel "Fairyland", which is about a nation of fairies created through nanobiotechnology, that will turn the world into magical and bizarre kingdom of forests, nanorobots and feromones... :)

The only track I don't like very much is Intro (I don't speak Russian) and Liquid emotions, which is too chaotic for me. And high-pitched tones might be less loud, perhaps. But otherwise, this is a great ambient album with ocassional moment 4/4 downtempo beat, that only enhances the peaceful atmosphere.