KiloWatts — Undercurrent (Somnia) 2009

KiloWatts — Undercurrent (Somnia) 2009

Posted Image

Somnia is proud to present a new album from electronic mastermind composer kilowatts, already well known from his releases on dirtybird, thoughtless music, nativestate records, and more. a deep and timeless ambient journey designed for heart activation and inner exploration.

“With this album, I wanted to focus on the essence of melody and expose it in a raw form through the electronic medium. the source of the main melodies came from repetitive hooks I found myself sporadically singing or humming during day to day business. think of the joyful tunes whistled during a walk. these melodic mantras seem to pop up out of nowhere and go on repeating forever.

When I'd notice this, I'd hang onto the melody until I could get to the studio and bang it out, no matter how obvious or straightforward it was. once the main melodies and inflections were out, I could carefully construct an audio bedding for them and see where it led. from a larger perspective, I felt that the search for these melodies was similar to unearthing subconscious archetypes that drive reality. the process was like discovering an ever-flowing undercurrent of reality that can be translated directly into melody.

In this case, it felt that the source of them all must absolutely be love.” - kilowatts

Limited to 777 copies worldwide, soy inks on recycled paper, sewn and sealed in wax with incredible cover art by ray massini

http://www.somniasound.com/releases.htm

Somehow the new somnia release didn't get enough attention, so here you go. Enjoying this at the moment :P

Damnit, as soon as I get a picture in my mind of exactly which albums I'll be buying this payday someone always throws a spanner in the works :)

Didn't even realise this had been released but I still really enjoy the only other one of theirs I own, 'Ground State'. Is it anything like that or a totally new idea?

Damnit, as soon as I get a picture in my mind of exactly which albums I'll be buying this payday someone always throws a spanner in the works :)

Didn't even realise this had been released but I still really enjoy the only other one of theirs I own, 'Ground State'. Is it anything like that or a totally new idea?

Totally new to everything I've ever heard by him before, it's melodic ambient though the melodies are subtle, and it's beatless.

Totally new to everything I've ever heard by him before, it's melodic ambient though the melodies are subtle, and it's beatless.

Hmm, I'm still very much interested. Would be cool to see his take on a totally different style and I have to admit the concept he's described has sortof seduced me a lil'. Plus I havn't yet bought a Somnia release, which almost seems criminal recently...

Regardless it'll have to wait a couple of days till I get paid <_<

That was a good call, it's a strange sounding album and from the samples I totally agree it's nothing like any of his previous stuff. Only listened to the first couple on there for now as I'm running a little behind but I enjoyed the second track, Rode Falls, quite a lot. Unfortunately the first did kick things off in a way I know my headphones will hate (with the constant switching from one ear to the other) and the amp for my good speakers is busted. Will have to listen to the rest when I next get the time.

On a side note I generally don't use samples, especially for downtempo/ambient, but am I right in thinking that Somnia actually hosts the tracks in their entirety? It does seem that way. Very useful for prospective purchases.

Sounds like one big yawn-fest to me. I don't blame him for producing other styles but I like his other style much better.

Monument is one helluva track!

Same here ;)

Thank God he has released "Six Silicates" ;)

His style is probably more enjoyable, but this particular release is very interesting in my opinion and in the same class as other somnia albums. It needs more listens from everyone and judgement only after that :)

Thanks for Six Silicates from me too :)

Six Silicates really didn't grab my attention all that much, though I guess I only managed three quarters of the release so perhaps I should give it another go... just seems uninspired. Undercurrent on the other hand is certainly on my ever growing 'to buy' list.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I listen to this cd twice. First time was in my room infront of my pc and i said ok nothing really special. Second time, it was late afternoon and i was lying on sunbed watching the sun dive... it blow my socks off :D