Para Halu - Future Sound of Para Halu (Japan Edition)

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

01.Konichiwa

02.Forgotten Futurist (Live Mix)

03.Fear (Para Halu's Face-it Rmx)

04.Sudoku

05.Tempo Anpassen (the Path Rmx)

06.Wasabi

07.Big Trees Talk, Old Trees Walk (Part 1)

08.Spirit of the Wind (Para Halu's Hallelujah Rmx)

09.Sleepy Samurai

There seems to be a tradition for dark trance producers to release 2 albums the same year at some point in their career. Well actually Para Halu will break this tradition by releasing 2 1/2 albums: Wide Range, Future Sound of... - Japanese Edition and finally the worldwide edition of this album. Although we're in December and I've still haven't seen the worldwide edition anywhere yet... Oh yeah, and don't bother searching the Japanese edition on psyshop or anything cause it was never commercially released, just given as a free gift to people coming to see Para's live performance in Tokyo.

Anyway, after the burst of creativity in Wide Range, I had high hopes with this one, especially since it's supposed to be some sort of concept album with "more Japan-influenced tracks" as the release notes say. Well, I was pretty disspointed by the whole thing in the end...

The album starts with a beatless japanese-influenced ambient track Konichiwa. This really warms you up expecting some interesting tracks to follow...

Well actually they don't... Forgotten Futurist (Live Mix) is a pretty standard track, no more japan influences here... it brings a bit of morning feeling to it but isn't really memorable or anything. It kindof makes me wonder why they make it last for almost 14 minutes?

Back to trademark dark psy with Fear (Para Halu's Face-it Rmx). Again, nothing to really stand out of the crowd here...

Sudoku should be another "japan-influenced track" as they call it, although I don't really see where those influences are? Anyway, this is a pretty experimental "goofy" track. I don't really like this one either...

Tempo Anpassen (the Path Rmx) I never was a big fan of the original version so I don't really understand why they bothered making a remix of it... there were other MUCH more interesting tracks on World of Peace that could've gotten a second life with a remix.

Wasabi this one remids me a lot of Aerodance - Skazka a few years ago (you know, the remix of the Tetris theme by Paransese and XP Voodoo). Again, a pretty goofy track, but nothing quite memorable. And again, if there are japanese influences in there, they are pretty minimal...

Big Trees Talk, Old Trees Walk (Part 1) ah finally something more interesting. This track starts out with a loong beatless intro (more than 4 minutes!!), featuring some nice pads and a ethereal woman voice singing. Then the rolling bassline starts and there is a nice morning track. This is the second-best track here.

Spirit of the Wind (Para Halu's Hallelujah Rmx) ahhhh now that's more like it!!! This is THE best track on the album without a doubt. Great morning melody on top of a fast rolling dark trance bassline. If only the other tracks here sounded like that ;) But at the same time, the relative lack of complexity makes it become old pretty fast. Still, this is a VERY good track :)

Sleepy Samurai takes the exact same ethereal singing from Big Trees Talk, Old Trees Walk, but makes a beatless ambient track from it (this time with japanese influences that you can really hear ;) )

The Good: This is a limited edition released as a gift at a Tokyo party featuring Para Halu, so if you can get your hands on the original, the collectors value is HUGE!!

The Bad: only 2 tracks were actually good IMO and even those aren't really classic material, just great tracks... also, the whole "concept edition" thing is a scam IMO since you can't really hear any japanese influences except for the intro and outro tracks...

Conclusion A great collector's item... but ONLY for collectors... if you want to hear new stuff from Para Halu, get Wide Range instead ;) 6/10