help needed for setting up my sound system

p(sy)ayam

so i got a sick subwoofer for free from a friend ( Infinity BU1 )

it looks like this on the back

Posted Image

i have 4 speakers (well 5, but i'm not going to use the center speaker). i thought i could connect the speakers directly to the sub as i thought my sub has a built in amp, but i just tried it and it didn't work. i downloaded the manual for my sub and it suggests few ways to set the system up, including

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

i don't have an amp, so i guess the 2nd option doesn't make any sense since i have to get an amp and a preamp...

NOW, i need help to find a good, cheap amp. what are the important things that i should know before buying an amp? i'd most probably try to find a 2nd hand amp...

and one more question. with the 1st option where i use the amp, how can i connect it to 4 speakers instead of 2?

thanX for your help :drama:

Buy a reciever, like a 5 or 7 channel amp, then you can hook up everything into it...but it's gonna cost ya, muahahaha, if you want good stuff that is, though you are only running sattelites, they don't need any power to run, sateliites suck imo

I wouldn't buy a receiver, it's too much for what you need.

Although the quality of the amp will influence the sound of your sub.

It looks like a home cinema system sub to me.

Where the amplifier is buid in to the DVD player.

It's a sub for movie experience, explosions, low drones etc

I doubt it will actually send music, probably more noise sub.

although i could be wrong hehe.

this is what i make of it:

It's sub that can be used both active as passive.

The first example you showed:

is the passive way; probably this system is sold with DVDplayers with build in amplifiers.

amp sends out a line signal (line-signal is amplified signal, mic-signal is not amplified)

well, amp allready sends out a line signal, that's all there is to say, problem solved if you buy an amp with 1 stereo channel.

the second example:

This is more interesting imo.

This sub can also be used active, if i see this schematic then there should be a build in amp.

You need a preamp with 2 outputs, a good soundcard will have this.

A pre-amp is like a gain control.

There are 2 Stereo signals going out, 1 to the sub(which will amp the signal to line level internal)

and the other signal can either be send to sattelites(no amp needed) or speaker amp.

note: the sattelites & speaker amp are too different options.

it would have been more clear if they hd written: TO sattelite/ TO speaker amp.

This is a pretty cool sub, you can choose to use it as a passive or active sub.

thank you :)

i'm not sure if it's integrated in my woofer, but even if i plug my ipod directly to it, it can shake my room !!!! so i guess my woofer has an amp for it self. i just don't know why it can't power my speakers.

satellite speaker do suck, but that's more than enough for me right now...my room is too small and i have lots of roommates (15 :P) and our neighbor also complains about the noise all the time!!!!

:blink: wow! thanX daniel

there's another pic in the manual which shows the system as a home cinema set up. does that mean it would sound bad with music or it worth using it only for music?

when i'm looking for the sound card, how can i figure out if it has a preamp?

Everything in front of an amplifier with a volume/gainknob is a preamp.

You could try to hook this one up and see what it does, but it will probably be a noisy result, perfect for movies, but not so good for music.

but like i said, i could be wrong.(but i doubt it hehe)

There is a difference in subs for PA and cinema use. Cinema just has to rumble,like a cat in a box, PA subs make music, but these subs just blow out your windows if you use them in your room. no shit.

A sub with clearance for music needs heavy amps, and the frequencies produced are longer than any livingroom.

Alot of people use these home cinema subs, but they do not produce any clearance, they are not big enough for it, and the room is not big enough for it.

A good set of speakers with a little pushed EQ on the low mids (around 250hz) will sound better if you want a pumpy sub sound in your living room.

you are right...

i plugged my laptop to the sub and it is noisy. about 2 months ago i lend it to my friend to use it with his turntable. the sound was very clear but by plugging it to my laptop it's noisy but it seriously shakes the whole room (as you said)...

anyhow, i'm going to use it in my room, not a livingroom. my room is about 5mX3m. i hope it would be possible to get a clear sound by adjusting the frequency. once again thanx for your help

i found a used amp for about 60 - 70 dolars...here it is!

Posted Image

it an Amplifier Onkyo TXSV444...

i'm only getting the amp btw, but this guy had the system including:

Infinity RS2 Rear Surround speakers

- Infinity RS 2000.5 Left & Right Surround speakers

- Infinity BU-8 Subwoofer

- Infinity Primus 360 Main front Left & Right speakers

- Infinity CC-2 Center Speaker

any ideas?! i'm a bit hesitant but might be a good purchase