VA "Unconventional" compiled by Alic (Horns & Hoofs rec)

soundmute

First of all, I must say that, when I saw the names on this compilation, I kind of realized that this compilation will be something interesting for me. Put in the player and play:

1. Kalumet - Pandora's Box

Well, it's kind of interesting minimal techno sound, but not that much for my taste. In general, track have interesting theme, just a few samples doesn't match with other lines in track. I must say that theme in this track is awesome. That little melody is like from a cartoon. Great idea.

2. Mantik - Longue Deraner

Mmmmmmm let's start. Beat says "hello" to everyone. Maximum respect for this kind of "more progressive then techno" sound. The most are like chill out motives and melodies all over the tech & progress beat. Super heat and super bassline. Real disco moving. Somewhere from 2/3 of the track starts a bit more techno style of track and then again chill and ambient pads and melodies. Juicy! I like SFXs and the way that they travel through the theme. For this track I could tell that it is for "Eyes close sway" moments!

Great job!!! I understand that for DJs track finishes just like it should, but for a CD and ordinary consumers, end of track should be a bit different and not that suddenly stopped.

3. Alic - Liquid Modernity

I can say that it continues in almost the same style as previous track, just a bit more techno and electro style. Really great theme and sound for presentation of that theme and ideas of artists. I'm still in "eyes close sway" moment. If I were a DJ, I would use track like this to chill crowd after euphoric drive. It's the same strategy as in sport, where player set the ball to other one for final kick and getting score. LOL. Maybe it's funny, but I'm experiencing this moment like that. Even a DJ set must have a strategy when combining tracks. And this one is a clue for "get the scoore" on the dancefloor.

4. Sophicos - Ain't Like That

I don't know if it is on purpose or random, but this track should be right on this place, after previous, even in DJ set. So much energy and emotions at the same time. The best thing is that I like the most of the instrumens which makes like chill bells sound and fat leads which presents bassline in track. This is the best thing for me in track and this tune contain every element that is a match for my taste. And after this track, I can already say that this is more progressive then techno compilation. I expected total techno, but this is kind of a mixture of Tech & progress! WONDERFUL!!! Really nice to hear that.

5. MidiMiliz - Phenomena (Atmos remix)

OK, does somebody want to rip my heart out or what?! Atmos in combination with Midi Miliz!!!??? What's next? Extrawelt vs GMO!!!??? AWESOME!!! Honestly, I don't know which kind of version is better for me. Original or this one. I like Atmos music and also MidiMiliz music so much, and when I heard this combination, it got me on the first second of the track. Tomas put a bit trancy style in this and got very nice product of this tune. So much atmospheric and night music. Thats what I need.

Excellent job on this track for sure.

6. The Rockitmen - Overhazed

Even Metalogic and Alex made a bit of progress sound with trancy bassline and hard sidechain at the start for this compilation. But as much as the rhythm is techno, everything is ok

Kiddin'... I like this sub tones in bassline. It sounds like concrete drill. Just, in my opinion, I think that for this kind of rhythm, they should put some industrial moments, melodies or something. Theme that is in track, is magnificent, just it's that kind of rhythm that makes a confusion with other elements. This is just my opinion. In general, track is great.

7. Metalogic - Picknik

HM. This track, I think, is the one I would put as the last one. Kind of an outro of compilation. Many people would think that it would be a bad track if it's outro. This is totally wrong. For me, of the same significance are intro, middle and outro. This track just have that kind of theme and story that, in my opinion, is for outro place. Something like "after all..."

8. Midi Miliz - Stalker (Alic's Liquid Disco remix)

GREAT SOUND FOR KICK!!!! And it is a Disco!!! Excellent start of track. Pure pumping in the clubs! Totally fat plastic pipe sound!!! Tiny bells should be a bit less emphatic, everything else is perfect. Excellent track for ending warm up and start jumping! Bassline have imposing sound. Just like kick. Those two elements make the whole track. Really beatiful job!

9. October Rust - It Came from Outer Space

This kind of style I like to call "pumping style". I like this kind of rhythm, but I don't like the vocal in this track. I think that vocal can be bettet than this one. Theme is relaxing and nice. For warming at best. I like fat sounds that this project used.

10.Fuzzion - Solar

Old school of electro "lets say" bassline, requiuem for my soul I like that sound. Especially with delay from time to time. Theme in the track reminds me on raves from 95-96. Beautiful times Totaly relaxing track. One of the track that have same vibe indoor as much as outdoor parties. Maybe cause of a lot of reverb on sounds. Lots of ambient moments. Nice!

The whole compilation as concept have very great vibe and story. There is no declination between tracks. Everything is set like hand in a glove. Also very serious sound.

Respect for all artists, Alic and Horns & Hoofs rec.

All the best to people and bring us more plastic fantastic

• 2 weeks later...

Unconventional came out at the same time as Chronika Chapter III and with 6 of its 10 tracks done by artists also on the latter compilation. There was a time when the Horns and Hoofs roster was more different from Boshke Beats.

I like both compilations, and if anything I found Unconventional marginally bit more fun, contrary to my initial expectations.

I liked all the tracks except 1, 3 (I really can't get into Alic's style) and 7 (Metalogic tends to be really hit and miss for me as well).

I was pleasantly surprised to see Triac on this comp, under the name of Sophicos; hope he keeps up the good work.

Recommended.

Pedro

• 9 months later...

V/A – Unconventional (Horns & Hoofs Entertainment) 2008 (H&HCD008)

a1080330078_16.jpg

01. Kalumet – Pandora’s Fox
02. Mantik – Lounge Deranger
03. Alic – Liquid Modernity
04. Sophicos – Ain’t Like That
05. Midimiliz – Phenomena (Atmos Remix)
06. The Rockitman – Overhazed
07. Metalogic – Picknik
08. Midimiliz – Stalker (Alic’s Liquid Disco Reconstruction)
09. October Rust – It Came From Outer Space
10. Fuzzion - Solar

Horns & Hoofs Entertainment was supposedly the first Russian record label who once upon a time set out a respected goal of specializing in releasing pure psychedelic tech-trance/house music from Russia. The label was founded by Nikita G in 2002 in Moscow, Russia together with the help of the artists involved. H&H loves dirty trippadelic sounds that slowly and lovingly, with a pinch of colors and fungus, plays with your imaginative mind and sexy body. There is something extremely moving about these tracks as they pass each other in intelligent manners and polite gestures. The artists who are contributing are making beautiful slow-moving music and prove that they got skills in the act of altering something secretly and classy. From melting scenery to shooting hoover rides of the planet Etheria, She-Ra would have had a blast on the intergalactic dance floor with Beastman behind the decks - It’s just that sexy and driving. Boing!

The artwork by Inga Burina is fun and pleasant with a good representation of the mechanical flying sounds that whisper over the landscape where party people cheer and sweat. Some contributors to the tech-style might be flying high and safe, but H&H got the hard working prospering mind of delightful mechanics and odd wings in their advantage. While being pulled into the world of Unconventional sounds compiled by Alic, you will find yourself dancing in hoof, closing your eyes, and feeling a beautiful melancholy gloom while having a smile and a body movement which seems to be made for the heavens. I think Alic does a neat job of setting the phase and groove with nice evolutions in beats and trance. It’s clear that he is not conforming to the accepted rules or standards when he gives us one of the most beautiful rides in the charming tech sky of 2008. This compilation contains good variation of sounds that will lead your senses to a professional capacity that’s vividly pleasant and fun while blowing a Horn to warn your citizens of the demented ravers approaching.

I like all the tracks with some minor variation. The tracks that offer a more serious and mind charging effect with smart compositions and gut stimulating seizures are the height of the journey, and they are to be found in the middle. The journey starts lighter in mood, making your dancing heart pump, while as it progresses you’re dragged into a more surreal and heavy world of bouncing effects and emotional power puff tricks. If I’m ever to complain about anything presented on this sweet V/A, it would be its mechanical nature, where the sounds represented on most tracks are too precise and .. Well, it’s a word I’ve used more then once in my review. Mechanical. Some more flow would be appreciated, but as the artwork portrays, this is old fashion mechanics with a lot of heart and soul that screams charm. It all depends on your audio flavors, but I would gladly recommend this release with all of my heart for what it brings to the table- smart and charming sounds of tech-trance. This is music that proves nothing can be boxed and squared into a medium of dullness and plastic in its phrase and categorizing nonsense of Tuba, as well as Shuba and Duba.

Recommendation: If you’re into clever sounds of the Tech-Trance genre as heard from Boshke Beats Records but with a lighter and more fun touch, this is for you. It has a funk, a feel and a mechanical touch that will set you in glorious trance and gnarling stomps. This is slow-moving Psy-Trance entertainment for a thirsty mind with hungry tech-ears of an exquisite gourmet listener with soft meddling mechanics in synchronized productions of melting brains and hey, Some of these tracks you can pitch up and you’ll get wicked Trance music.

Favorite tracks: 4(!), 5, 6(!!), 8, 10(!!)

Where to buy and other links:
H&H Ent.: http://www.hornsandhoofs.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/hornsandhoofs
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/label/Horns+And+Hoofs+Entertainment
Alic's Page: http://www.energysound.de
DiscogsShop: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_i...57744&ev=rb
Psyshop.com: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/hah/hah1cd008.html
Beatport: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content...mp;a486-index=3
Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=4156
Juno.co.uk: http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/315796-01.htm
Isratrance.com: http://www.isratrance.com/cd-reviews/uncon...alic-d1008.html