V/A - Through the Eyes of the Ancients

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Title: Through The Eyes of the Ancients

Artist: Various

Label: Vision Records

Release: 2008

1. Lockdown - Twisted System (8:29)

2. Mechanical Witch - NRS Vs. Zion Linguist (7:11)

3. Universal Heart - Dark Nebula (9:28)

4. Score - Winter Demon (6:31)

5. Carnival Madness - Kode Six (7:52)

6. Like and Animal - Zion Linguist (7:17)

7. Schitzofrantic - Dirty Motion (7:36)

8. 2150 AD - Fright Rate (6:59)

9. Ochre Dawn - Optix (6:53)

From the label who brought you the awesome Dark Side of the Mind (which I will review a little later) comes their latest effort. There are some big names on this puppy and I can't wait to dive right in. :wub:

Lockdown - Twisted System- How delicious, a new Twisted System track! The partnership of Shift, Phyx, and Rabdom L have produced numerous bangers along with 2 very fine albums. The wary mood is set right from the get go with the thumping bass and tentative synths, dodging from left to right. There are some distorted 303 sounding synths flung about like a tornado would toss a pick-up truck. The mood is maintained, but alas, I was waiting for the big payoff that never came. Good track, but I think it could've been so much more. Not unlike Phyx's album (which I still really liked).

Mechanical Witch - NRS Vs. Zion Linguist- Laurence Sonnenberg and Paul Konrad Wright team up to bring us this madness. I still haven't heard the Zion Linguist album but I plan to. I do. The frenetic synth at 3:45 sounds like a bipolar in need of some prozac stat! To me, this is what a haunted house would sound like if it had a soundtrack. Pretty good track.

Universal Heart - Dark Nebula- I never really been a big fan of Richard's music (although I bought all the albums). I think I kept hoping he would take that next step and for me he hasn't yet. This track also starts off with a supernatural feel with a very Talpa-like orchestral backdrop. There are of course some lasers and a serious sample. A synth arpeggio takes center stage and blurs into a wall of noise. This track didn't grab me that much.

Score - Winter Demon- Hey buddy, where the hell have you been? I liked your track on the Twilight Vision comp and hope to see more like that. This track doesn't really get going until after 4 minutes, and even then I don't find the synth line that great. Now the one nearer the 5 minute mark is better, and then it all comes together at the end. Good mover, but nothing to write home about.

Carnival Madness - Kode Six- Man I cannot wait for this album to come out. This Canadian duo remind me a lot of Front Line Assembly with the way they create a dark sound. Swirling effects make it seem like I am surrounded by creatures not from this world. During the first break, the synth melody is pretty trippy and that is carried through the rest of the track. :posford: I'm not a big fan of the countdown, but I can over look that. Great track!

Like and Animal - Zion Linguist- "You look human, but you're not human. Like an animal." 2nd track by Laurence on this comp.

The wavering synth drives me up the wall here. I can't get past it. This has migraine written all over it. Thankfully it doesn't last that long, but there ain't much else noteworthy. Best part of this track was the sample.

Schitzofrantic - Dirty Motion - These guys are Frozen Ghost and Hiyarant, and had a track on Frozen Ghost's 2nd disc and the Manga compilation. The lead here is pretty frantic and sounds like it is soaked in reverb. The track takes a small respite and then brings that lead back. Pretty good track wuth plenty of craziness, but I felt it could've been filled out more.

2150 AD - Fright Rate- Never heard of 'em. Right off the bat this is DarkPsy complete with terror sample wondering where she is.

Very dark with lots of effects but that's about it. Not my favorite. I did like the "My life has value!" sample however.

Ochre Dawn - Optix- This is the slowest song on the comp, more in a progressive tempo. It bounces nicely along with a precarious feel. The break is well produced with sounds coming from everywhere, adding to the tension in this track. It will be interesting to see what else this artist pulls out of his hat. Or her hat. I don't know who this is.

Conclusion-Well, what can really be said about this comp? A couple of good tracks, but nothing overwhelming. The good tracks aren't super and the not so good tracks aren't terrible. Although slightly disappointed with the TS track, I still thought it was one of the better offerings. The Kode Six effort makes me want to hear more from this team. For the rest....meh. 7/10

Mdk

• 1 year later...