Fennesz

RTP

Oh man ... I just came back from a concert of the third kind! It was so awesome I'm still sweating...

Does anybody by any chance know Fennesz? He's a a viennish-french composer of noise ambient. Doesn't sound spectacular, but it actually is ... the sound is so full of warmth, energy, majesty and sentimentality it almost makes you cry. Noise combined with ambient, well, actually ambient noise, noisy ambient! A guitar involved aswell. And altogether it's ambient at its purest energetic level - well, at least to me it feels like this...

The concert was absolutely awesome! It was almost more noise than ambient, but on the whole you can't compare it I guess. I stood there in the middle of the room and - in psynewsish expression - my hair was becoming punkies all over my body! It was fucking amazing, I never have experienced anything like this before. The sound was stroking me! I even had this feeling of hairs becoming punkies inside my brain! And the sound so loud and rich that the whole room was oscillating, my pants were oscillating, damn, everything was oscillating! It was beyond something I can express, it's no feeling, it's a state of being, kinda. I never thought this would be possible. I don't even own a single release of Fennesz, I just heard this stuff at a friend's (who isn't even so much into it, he wasn't there) and got curious and then I saw that this guy was giving a concert and just went there ... but this was incredible! It felt so loud, so rich, so passionate, so burning, so touching, so energetic, so alive and actually so psychedelic as a whole, these sound waves coming at you, surrounding you, caressing you, blissful, majestic and beautiful and soothing and free. For the first time I felt music with my stomach and body so to say than with my ears. Damn, this was awesome! Although my ears are half-deaf now despite I actually had paper in them, but that was damn worth it, it was so worth it! Incredible...

Point is, just yesterday I was at a psy party. And even though I liked it there, this thing today was giving me like ten times more energy and feeling like I had it yesterday. I know it's actually not comparable, but I still do it. The energy, it's about the energy! Against this today the energy on the psy party yesterday was like me in deep sleep. Mental level zero. Kinda.

I don't know, but I want this energy again, I must have this again, it's incredible, undescribable and awesome! I think I might become a noisehead in the future ... today I already had my defloration :rolleyes: ... and it felt goddamn awesome!

Check Fennesz' stuff out: http://www.myspace.com/fennesz

And if this guy ever plays near you, go there! Do it! The sounds on the web don't do justice to the music at all.

I used to own and listen to Endless Summer. I like his music but find the noise part extraneous. It's like he makes pretty songs then adds the noise later. I'm sure he's fun to see live, though.

For a similar vibe, you might enjoy The Flashbulb. Very talented dude who knows how to mangle a

. And maybe you've heard some of Four Tet's stuff.

I used to own and listen to Endless Summer. I like his music but find the noise part extraneous. It's like he makes pretty songs then adds the noise later. I'm sure he's fun to see live, though.

For a similar vibe, you might enjoy The Flashbulb. Very talented dude who knows how to mangle a

. And maybe you've heard some of Four Tet's stuff.
Cool that you own something of him, it's good to see he's not that unknown :)

I felt similar about the noise parts at first - especially about the real noisy parts, the crackling sounds or low hums I always regarded as ambient from the start. And that was exactly what made me curious to see him live, I wanted to know if the noise came across as strange as on the songs I heard so far. And well, it somehow doesn't, not at all. It feels quite perfectly in place about 90 percent of the time! That's because the noise itself is of a completely different kind, not something that feels out of place but something that comes at you, grabs you, surrounds you - and I could never have that at home because my neighbours would want to kick my ass already if I played it half as loud. And the noise builds a wonderful symbiosis with the ambient sound, it's what gives the energy, intensity and essence to it. It makes the ambient alive! I'm sure that without the noise the experience would have been quite dull despite the ambient synth sounds are excellent...

The Flashbulb is indeed good music (will remember that one), but I really don't feel a sililar vibe. Fennesz is beatless noise, so compared to him the sound of Flashbulb feels overloaded. Four Tet feels better though...

Glitch

I always have wondered what this is. Is Fennesz Glitch?

I always have wondered what this is. Is Fennesz Glitch?

Yeah, pretty much.

If you're into some really mellow, ambient versions of glitch (I personally think Fennesz is on the noisy side), you may enjoy Shuttle358 (Frame is a classic) and Tim Hecker. The Mille Plateaux label has a ton of interesting things in this general area.

Yeah, pretty much.

If you're into some really mellow, ambient versions of glitch (I personally think Fennesz is on the noisy side), you may enjoy Shuttle358 (Frame is a classic) and Tim Hecker. The Mille Plateaux label has a ton of interesting things in this general area.

I never thought that this was Glitch. I thought Glitch was a very incoherent, deranged and unstructured style - a style with "glitches" so to say. It's fun that I actually already like it despite not knowing what it is, haha...

I checked that Frame song out ... and well, it sounds not bad. I'd have classified that as ordinary ambient though if I didn't knew now that it was Glitch...

I'll use this term with a total different perspective to it in the future :)

I never thought that this was Glitch. I thought Glitch was a very incoherent, deranged and unstructured style - a style with "glitches" so to say. It's fun that I actually already like it despite not knowing what it is, haha...

I checked that Frame song out ... and well, it sounds not bad. I'd have classified that as ordinary ambient though if I didn't knew now that it was Glitch...

I'll use this term with a total different perspective to it in the future :)

Glitch is hard to define. To me it's music by machines, and the sound of those machines' errors, be they quiet and subtle or loud and noisy. It can also be represented visually, like some of the stuff at this site: beflix.com, although the guy has gotten increasingly involved in creating glitch art than capturing screens of real glitches. It's cool either way, I think, although I have a fascination with the anthropomorphized idea of a computer's brain misfiring like an emotion, and seeing what it looks like.

Also, I was talking about the whole album called Frame, but the track is great. I had a discussion some years ago with the artist, Dan Abrams, who told me that although people call his music "glitch", he prefers the term "microsound". So yeah, the definition is a bit ambiguous.

The site is great!

It really kinda represents some of the glitchy sound visually.

Cool...