01. 6�29� First Breath

02. 6�47� Revealing Luminescence

03. 7�21� It Is Now

04. 7�20� Inner Illuminations

05. 7�08� Integrated Minds

06. 7�54� Wicked Purity

07. 7�44� Dark Electric

08. 7�03� Elemental

Deeper In Zen (James Brian, USA) has released three artist albums before this one. Balance, which I am still trying to get my hands on, Insight and the double CD Tao. Now I have only heard Insight (which I liked) despite the fact that Tao is still sitting on the shelf unlistened to. Im� sorry baby, I don�t mean to neglect you, it�s just that all these things are happening and your body�s changing so fast, it�s like a whirlwind�yadda yadda yadda. I recently reviewed the Helios debut and liked the track James helped on so this should be a good time. The art is nice with a Stonehenge kinda thing in the foreground and a medallion like sun in the background. Let�s get to it!

First Breath- The track begins with a rumbling bass line and a mystical atmosphere. Large pads and tribal utterances give way to a screaming lead. You can feel this track building, giving you just a taste at first. The break is a last chance to escape, but then all the elements are combined in the final minute. Great track and a great start!

Revealing Luminescence- �Is there not only one moment� ever? Is life ever not this moment?� After that sample we are right back into high energy territory. James doesn�t believe in waiting around! What he is revealing, is how full-on should be done. Fast, powerful, and utterly trance inducing. If you don�t get up and move to this, check for a pulse. Bravo, Mr. Brian. Bravo.

It Is Now- This one starts a little darker, but no less groovy. I liken this to going through a tunnel at night, not really knowing what is on the other end. The acid is there, grumbly bass line, and eerie leads. And just when it might start to get a little repetitive, new leads arrive and the journey continues. This track is more about mood than melody. Good track!

Inner Illuminations- I don�t have a lot to say about this one. This one just kinda�goes. It�s basically all about the beat and the leads seem to follow. There isn�t a �true� melody, but there are a lot of sounds. It�s not bad, but doesn�t seem to stack up against the previous tracks. Good, but nothing special.

Integrated Minds- �We are about to take you into the world of the LSD user. A world that to him is real, yet as terrifying and unreal as anything imaginable.� Man, what a good sample! I know people are tired of drug references, but this one even had a little Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds in it. Clever. The track has that rapid bass line, and I know we are in for a ride. The acid stabs are plentiful and the break brings back the Beatles. Marvelous. I don�t care for marmalade though. Not one bit. It�s like�retarded jelly. It looks good in the jar, but when you taste it, you are disappointed. Like the girl you see in the club. She looks hot in the dim light, but get here outside and your friends are already laughing at you. By the way, this is a very good track.

Wicked Purity- Opposite words, pretty cool. The bass line staggers to the front amidst a woman�s�ummm�vocals. Know what I�m sayin�? The track bounces along, without a lot of variation. This is similar to Inner Illuminations. A good track with power, but nothing special.

Dark Electric- �It is the essence of all galaxies�and blades of grass. Of all flowers, and trees. And all other forms. Feeling the oneness of yourself with all things is love.� This sample seems to contradict the title, but what do I know. A couple of breaks and a good lead, and we have a nice track. I would�ve liked a little more acid or craziness, but it is what it is.

Elemental- Final track and it�s elemental my dear Watson. This one rises and falls. The lead mimics the bass line at times, which creates a nice groove. Once again, not melodies on top of melodies, but good structure. The only complaint I have with this track is the abrubt ending. Other than that, good track.

In Summary: I liked it. Like all discs, there were some tracks that were stronger than others, but there are no stinkers here. You put a Beatles sample in your track, and I�m following you. Hell, put it in my cereal and I�m eating it. James�s bass lines are crisp and he has a great sense on how to keep a track interesting. This is full-on, but it�s not clich� (holy crap, the computer just put that accent there!). There are no rainbows and no unicorns, just good straight forward psytrance. So take your glow sticks and beat it! Great job! 8/10.

Favorites: 2, 5, 1.

Mdk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Highly underrated and overlooked. While still maintaining musical integrity, this album delivers unmatched full-on energy without sucking up to the listener with blatant progressions and ridiculous melodies (as is common, of course, in this style of music). In particular, "Wicked Purity" is a classic among its kinds in my home, overall the three final tracks are by far the strongest judged as high energy full-on, while the former tracks lay more in line with good typically "adult full-on". I also quite enjoy the flavor of the album, interpreting Zen in this high speed maximal style of music, seeing in Zen rather the unstoppable force of the soul than serene observance or some other more common view.