Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artists: Various

Title: Advanced Options Vol. 2

Format: CD Jewel Case

Label: YoYo Records

Release: November 2006

Track Listing:

01. 7�35� Psycraft Vs. Beat Hackers � Night Drive (Future Prophecy Rmx)

02. 6�44� Sesto Sento Vs. Apocalypse � Trance In Motion

03. 7�36� Time Lock � Inner Bright

04. 7�21� Astral Projection � The Prophecy

05. 8�23� Basic � Days of Power

06. 7�31� The Freak Show � Fantasy

07. 7�21" Echotek - Your Inside Voice

08. 6�37� Bwicked � R U Ready

09. 7�05� Atomic Pulse Vs. Cyrus the Virus � Unreal

10. 7�13� Future Prophecy � Feel The Vibration

I just plucked this release off the shelf to see what it has under the hood. I missed the first go round with this series, but plan to remedy that situation shortly.

Night Drive (Future Prophecy Rmx) seems to be standard full-on, but I really enjoyed the break with the soft, warm pad and the nimble synths. I wasn't bored with this one and it moved along nicely.

Trance In Motion is a nice groover. It slowly develops and constantly twists. I liked the track, but I feel that too many changes in direction don't allow me to get into the flow of this track. Still, I enjoyed it.

Time Lock's Inner Bright has a galloping bass line and synthesized vocals in the track. And then there's the singing. I hate that, so for me that was all she wrote. If I wanted singing in my trance, I would listen to Oakenfold. :angry:

With high hopes, I look to Astral Projection's The Prophecy. This feels like a nice sunrise track. You can still hear the goa influences these guys bring. The delicate synths at the break are superb to my ears as the track is coaxed back to life. I have really missed hearing what these guys can do. Maybe this sleeping giant has awakened! :posford:

Days of Power is next from Basic. I haven't heard his album, so I have no clue what to expect. The break at 2:30 was nice as was the one at 4:40, but there wasn't anything to keep my head in it. I really dislike the build-up clich� that you will fine in here. Pretty by the numbers fare with some good bits in it.

The Freak Show (Itai and Itay...I'm not kidding) bring me a Fantasy. I haven't heard their album either, but they begin with a funky synth. There is a decent break which spawns a nice squelchy synth line but I feel the track is pretty thin. There isn't a whole lot going on to keep me focused. I will say this though, so far this comp has some very nice breaks in it!

Micha Yossef offers up You're Inside Voice. He also offers up an annoying sample. Something about "making your face come out so clear." Some melodic singing and chopped up vocals and I am losing interest. I didn't care for this mess at all. This is a train wreck.

This is Bwicked's second track as far as I know. R U Ready? I am. This one develops slowly, almost progressive-like. I can hear a high pitched alarm like in Aliens when they were getting closer. Average track, nothing to see here.

Ok, now we're talkin! I love Cyrus the Virus and thought his new album was kick-ass! Here he teams up with Atomic Pulse. Unreal starts off with an ethereal feeling. The bassline is not far behind however, and with it an arpeggiated synth line. I was hoping to get my socks knocked off, but regretably they are still on. The track is not bad, but does nothing to distinguish itself. I feel they can do a lot better.

Now with my disappointment with this compilation in full view, we come to the last track. Future Prophecy brings us a happy beginning with some melodic bells and a female voice with lots of reverb. Can this be salvaged? The track turns quickly into an aggressive beast! The fat kick and in your face bassline makes me stand up and take notice, while the synths cascade over my ears...but then the break. I've been giving glowing reviews to the breaks in this comp, but damnit, this one was misplaced. Let the tune carry the emotion, the feeling. And just when I think it couldn't get wors, the guitar solo. Mind you it's brief, but the damage is done. Some good bits, but Most of it is out with the baby.

In conclusion, the Astral track was the gem for me. Which makes me glad, because I would love to see them on top again. This is very clubby and I am not surprised. Hoever, if this is the way Psytrance is really headed, then I might have to jump aboard the Ambient spacecraft.

Favorites: 4(!!) 2(!) 1.

MDK