goa vs. classical

Guest doublehelix

personally, i would this thats its quite bold to compare ANY form of music to classical.

but, i really do hold high regards for goa/psy... i'm just curious as to what others opinions are on the similarities between the two...

A classical piece takes years, to complete, it is so much more intensive and artistics than Goa. It is a joke to compare them, i man, using a copuiple of synths and a editing tool like Cubase vs wiritng and controling the most emotionally intensive music for violin/trumpet/drum/guitar/cello/double bbass etc. It is just plain silly to try and compare them. I am nbot a huge classical fan, but I do have the sense to realise that nothing compares to that music, classical is probably themost artistic form of sonic manipulation, to compare Posford with Mozart is just ridiculous, Mozart would leave Posford for dead music wise, Posford is no classical musician, he is just good at turning chemical experiences into forms of sound.

Guest Zaramatu

This is bullshit. When was the last time you heard a piece of classical music solely based upon the 4/4 time signature? Classical music is background music and "thinking music", psytrance is made for the dancefloors.

Classical music is based 90%-100% upon harmonics, psytrance is based 90%-100% upon rhythm! That's nearly a complete 180° difference!

If you want electronic stuff that resembles classical music, listen to the following albums...

Ashra - New Age of Earth

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

Klaus Schulze - Dune

Klaus Schulze - Timewind

Wolfram Spyra - Elevator to Heaven

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene 01-06

Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet

Priam - 3 Distances / Irregular Signs (sounds like an instrumental, electronical spacerock symphony, full-on in places but still kind of inspired by classical music IMO)

Vangelis - Blade Runner

Vangelis - Conquest of Paradise

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

+ some stuff by Mike Oldfield

+ most stuff by Jonn Serrie & Ralph Lundsten

+ all stuff by Constance Demby

+ some soundtrack music ("Fellowship of the Ring" is a good example, albeit not an electronic one)

Simon Posford the Mozart of the 21th century? Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, Wolfram Spyra and Constance Demby all surpasses Simon Posford by far when it comes to musical knowledge and skills. Simon is maybe a perfectionist and a very devoted person, but I'm not sure if you can actually count him as a true musical genius. Not yet at least. Maybe this sounds like a contradiction, but I think he's too much into experimenting for being counted as a genius. Sometimes simplicity is actually to be prefered before complexity. I think he still he has a long way to go before he will finally be put to the test for real...

"Classical music ridicules trance" maybe so, but then it all depends on what standards you're using. Personally, I can't stand most classical music, but I love trance, so in my mind, they can't be all that similar. Eh, whatever though. I don't really care to compare them. To each their own.

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

I can draw similarities between psychedelic and classical.

The structure of a classical composition is always divided into "parts", rather than pop-music which is divided into an intro, a verse, a chorus and maybe a bridge.

Classical music often builds up into a climax, so does many psy tracks.

bullshit.. classical ain't putting any trance to shame. Ok so Mozart had to write harmonies for a 200 people orchestra... he had only notes to write in the end. He didn't have any control over anything else. Can't very well says "hey you.. violon guy.. yeah you.. play with a little more treble hmkay?" or " can you play only on the left channel of that violin?" or "geez, can we push the roof about 50 feet higher? i need more reverb here..." Today, especially with trance, electronic musicians have so much to do and fiddle and tweak, the ammount of work is very compable to what Mozart was doing back then... Sure it took years to complet a symphony.. you go and write BY hand a few hundred pages for 200 persons.. he didn't have a computer to store all that into either. He couldn't press the spacebar and hear the results right away.. he had to play on the piano to find melodies... then write them down.. then take it to the musicians, then listen to it.. then modify it.. then bla bla... .Classical pieces also last from what.. 7-8 minutes to 60 minutes? Goa stands around 8 minutes. Even with comparable methods and workloads, a 60 minute tracks is longer to compose than an 8 minute don't you think?

Plus, Classical is FULL *FULL* ****FULL***** of very generic mathematical transition.. hear THIS chord? then you know it'll turn to THAT chord in the next few beats...

Guest Bahamut

"a classical piece takes years to complete" is simpy not true, you mention Mozart, he did A LOT of music every year, he was just incredibly gifted

hmmm psytrance is also much technical stuff... being good and creative with electronica like synths and stuff... however I wouldn't say there's no musical talent and skill among certain psy-artists, shpongle and juno reactor for example know a thing or two about creating music and melodies if you ask me... if they were asked to make some 'regular' music, let's say background music for a movie or documentary, they would be able do some pretty decent stuff I think...

but of course, music wise you can't compare them with the great classical masters... I believe that goes for Vangelis and others too.. no way!

Guest spacemonkey - 604

well "random", they couldn't have a violinist play more reverb or only left speaker, but they changed the melodies and then had to change the harmony which takes far more skill then adding some effects to a repetetive melody.

in the first place these comparisons makes no snese because it are totally different styles of music.

In the second places if you know anything about harmony and melody you would not even dare to make such a claim.

the melody, and therefore the harmony, in classical piece changes constantly.

In psy there are some basicall changes, and a lot of things that are just "cheap" tricks compared to what classical mucisians did/do.

and the same goes for most jazz, which is far more complex, in melody and harmony, then most trance.