goa vs. classical

Guest spacemonkey - 604

well bugbread i must say i heared of the terms but my theoratical knowledge of music is very limited.

But i did know that playing a violin is more then just sweeping the stick around ;-)

different ways of playing make different sounds of course, and add that to the whole constantly changing melody, and psytrance is just some simple beat matching.

Guest Red Headed Stepchild

I have taken 2 semesters of music theory and I would like to think I have a good understanding of musicality. YES classical music has alot more harmonic quality. "BUT" I say but because the realm of classical has pretty much been used up. What a few very talented musical geniuses did with that harmonic relationship is great but it became very formulaic which was bound to make run into boundaries. There are several things it didn't have.

It didn't have any creative rythmn structures. This is something that can be

found in the works of a few genius Psy groups as well as the works of other types electronic music. Also YES electronic music does have the added ability of infinite timbre control. Most would say that an electronic artist would never be able to reach or even aproach the level of mastery as a classical composer. I think this may stem from 2 different biases.

Number 1 being that alot of people think that making music without using

"REAL" instruments is somehow making fake lifeless "MACHINE" music and even if someone doesn't directly believe this they are affected by those around them. This is stupid. Anybody who has ever played an Acoustic instrument and than came into using electronic methods for making music will tell you that it takes a good amount musical know how to make good electronic music as well. The second bias is that some Beat and Drums are primative and therefore can never be consider part of what makes a truly

masterfull work of music. This is stupid if rythmn is some inferior form of music than how come rythmn has such a important element in all music.

Without the element of rythmn Rock and Jazz would be the same. Without the swing of Jazz it would sound stupid. As for Classical music it has very easy rythmn which of course stems from a bias against rythmn. The rythmns of some Psy is way more complex. Isn't complexity and beauty what makes a song good. And as for the repetiveness of Psy(Trance).

Well this is there for a reason (((((((to put you in a trance)))))). Repeated fast patterns entrain the mind into the Alpha state which is very conducive

to trance states of thought. I think that Psy can be as masterfull as any other form of music. I think it takes more to make a masterfull electronic song because you don't have formulaic methods and acoustic instrument with set timbrality. I don't think that there is some masterfull classical music but it doesn't move my soul like some Psy so that shows you something doesn't it. PEACE

Guest Spindrift

Also first thought it was a silly compairasion, but then i noticed the number of post, and got a bit curious..

Donno if I can add much that haven't been said already, but one thing that I find I a major difference with most classical, rock and jazz compared to most trance is the evolving cord structures.

It's something that is very typical of western music, but not in ethnic and trance music.

Basically the base note is varying, so unlike in most trance tunes you can't sit and sing the same note continously, you are forced to follow the chord progressions.

Nowadays I like to hear it done in trance music as well sometimes, but can easily get cheesy as well, and it's awful if it's baldy done.

Guest bugbread

It also depends where you draw the line in Classical music versus Modern Classical. The more current you get, the harder the comparison. For instance, take the Rite of Spring. Rhythms in there are just as complex as complex psy. Or, if you consider John Cage classical, you get all the weird effects produced by altering pianos by attaching bits of metal, etc.

True, on the "what can be done with a single instrument" scale, nobody really beats psy, because of all the possibilities of gating, flanging, delays, etc. But structurally, classical tends to be more complex.

The more I think about it, the more I think "apples and oranges".

Guest Quixoto

Physically, it is very hard to derive a relationship between the two genres.

I do think that the two genres are intrinsically similar in their affect on certain regions of the brain when being listened to.