Headphones

I've wanted some good headphones for a long time, what do you recommend for listening to psytrance? So far, the Grado SR80 sounds as the best choice, only doubt i have is if the bass in them is good enough? What's your experience with your headphones?

This is a great site for headphone reviews: http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Accessories/...dphone_Reviews/

I'd say stay out of Grado's if you don't want to be deaf in a few years!!!! They over-emphasize high and mid frequencies, which may make goatrance sound a lot better, but all those high frequency sounds going into your ears will eventually cause you hearing trouble!! I'd say that unless you use headphones VERY occasionally or listen to them at low levels, stay out of headphones all together!! I got a mild case of tinnitus because I grew up with a walkman and headphones in my ears... everyone told me that if I continued to listen all day to loud music through headphones I'll later have ear-problems... wish I had listened to them...

What kinda nonsense is that? Of course you are not supposed to listen so loud through headphones that you'll go deaf. The beauty of quality headset is that you don't have to crank the volume to the limit to hear the richness of the music. But to your question, Mesiaz, yes I'd say those SR80s are pretty darned good, as a rule of thumb you can't go wrong with Grados or Sennheisers, so pick the model that is most suitable for your budget.

Guest Elysium Project

I reccomend the AKG K270S headphones....

Superb sound quality and not too expensive......

Actually I use them everyday in my studio....and when I listen to music on my stereo...

Guest miroslav

you got the sennheiser`s eh 2200, as a low budget option. they`re obout $75 ..i bought one of those, but still awaiting a friend to bring me those from abroad, so i can`t actually guarantee for the sound quality. according to user`s reviews at amazon they should be more than great deal. i can strongly recommend audioreviews.com for an unprecendented quantity of headphone`s reviews...good luck

Yeah, I kinda overreacted there, but personally, I just can't keep myself from carnking up the sound when listening to a killer track. As for Senheisers: EVERYBODY I know who owned a pair of Senns complained that they fell apart exactly after the 2-year warranty period...

Guest Elysium Project

I have had the same problem with Sennheiser...... plastic @!#$.....:-)

use some money on a proper set of headphones and you will have them for the rest of your life.... that way it's very cheap and not at all expensive.

Guest miroslav

personally, i`d be quite satisfied with a two years period of extensive use of those cans..i already plan to upgrade someday with a more expensive and higher quality headset...and i don`t believe they`re gonna fell apart exactly after the warrant period.that would be a conspiracy, man..it sould be expected from sonu, but not from the senns : )

Not a bad word about Sennheisers from me, I've use three models and they've been good. Well to be quite frank I'm not entirely pleased with the wireless ones I bought a couple of months back with an intention to use them while going around and doing other stuff and at night times, but it appears there's a slight problem with the signal transmitted, the channel goes off very easily and you have to be tuning them constantly. Sound quality of those is very good and the set is lightweight and comfy, in other words portable as it is intended to be.

Guest Mindbender

In reply to this:

AKG K270S are a bit too expensive for me, they cost around $340 and SR80 is around $100

I love my Senns... I have HD25SP. They cost around $150. Ok, the sound might be a bit coloured (ie. not flat response, though they claim to be studio monitors), but I don't mind that much. Psy-sounds really good with them. Very upfront, clear, crisp and aggressive, like the sound would be coming from inside your head. I guess that's to do with the closed design. Pumping bass as well, maybe emphasising a bit the 'higher' bass fequencies. Plus they are light (less than 150g), block out ambient sounds quite well, all parts are replacable etc..

I had a pair of open style Senns before, but they've broken down (after about 8 years, mind you) and then I had a pair of cordless Sony's, but I don't recommend those. The sound was bad. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact model. Then I needed closed-back ones anyway when I started mixing and got the SP25SP and have remained happy.

Lauri

Thanks for replies all of you. I've read praisings about the Sony MDR-V6 (which is a closed model, and I'm NOT talking about MDR-V600), anyone tried that pair?

Guest vasyachkin

Miroslav

depending on your listening preferences you may or may not like the EH2200; i have had them, they sound "bright" - they boost treble, but lack in the bass department. Overall they are listenable, and an average value for the price.

if EH2200 is your first pair of studio headphones you will probably be satisfied, they are superbly comfortable, and still sound better than any cheap-ass phones.

In fact for the first 5 minutes when i tried them i was rather impressed, they sounded super-airy and super-detailed but in about 5 minutes my ears were already fatigued and i realized that i hated them.

however, Mesiaz DO NOT BUY THESE PHONES.

If you want noise isolation get Sennheiser HD270, if you just want good sound and don't need noise isolation then Sennheiser HD500 is better.

HD270 sounds very neutral (that is good). HD500 sounds bassy (which is not bad either) but because HD500 is an open-back design they sound more transparent (which is good) than the HD270.

Closed-back phones block noise (except EH2200 which are closed but still don't block noise) open-back phones don't. but open-back phones are always more transparent sounding ( i could explain why that happens but you can just take my word)

Guest vasyachkin

just wanted to add, i got rid of my EH2200 and bought HD270 and HD500 at the same time. I got the HD500 for home use and HD270 for use on the train (i spend 80 minutes on the subway train each weekday). Very happy with these three decisions.

Guest rx7style

MD,

You really don't know what you're talking about. Sorry!

Grado makes awesome headphones... just don't buy the lowest end model you can find and you'll be impressed. Please disregard what MD said about over empahsization of mids/highs -- that's bullshit.

EVERYBODY knows Grados emphasize high and mid-frequencies, that's what makes them sound better than the rest!! If you can resist the temptation to crank them to the max all the time and can put up with supra-aural headphones, I guess they're the best you can buy...

Oh, and personally, I went for a pair of Sonys (can't remember the exact model, but they're open-back) because they were the most comfortable from the lot!! If you plan on using headphones for hours and hours, the way they fit is essential... they were also the least loud from the headphones I tried, but since my ear problems, I find that a headphone that isn't too loud is a good thing!

Guest vasyachkin

"EVERYBODY knows Grados emphasize high and mid-frequencies, that's what makes them sound better than the rest!! "

well i haven't heard any Grados, but all other manufacturers are doing the very same thing. Aiwa, Technics, Sennheiser they all sound the same - too bright. Sennheiser HD500 is an exception though thats why i like it. And that is also why it got the worst reviews of all Sennheiser headphones :))

its the biggest tragedy of all - people don't know how to listen. I had to read between the lines of reviews to figure out that HD500 was it, cuz people don't know what they be sayin :)))

i have a pair of GRADOs 80s and 325s. I bought them after doing a lot of research and my conclusion was that they are the best cans for trance/electronic music.

I've had them for about a year now, and i can honestly say they are well worth the hype. The bass is full and mids and highs are excellent.

I took the 80's with me when I travelled o/seas (stuffed them into my backpack), they sounded really great just hooked into a discman - they r light and I've found them very comfortable as well.

Fot $100 and under there is no way u will find a better pair of headphones.

(and i dont work for GRADO). If I had to pick a fault it would be that the cord is rather stiff and not that flexible - but that really doesnt bother me too much.

The 325s are a different story - if u can afford it, get them - they are on another level all together. You hear music like you havent heard b4, and it's a-lovely.

a great headphones forum =

http://headwize.powerpill.org/ubb/forums.p...p?fdays=&stime=

btw, Järsimähäiriö is right - with a good pair of cans you should not need to crank up the volume.

Guest vasyachkin

ok, to be totally objective HD500 do have one fauilt, a dip at about 4 khz verified by sine sweep. This i find somewhat audible, but i am sure that all $600 grados are not better.

use this:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Sweep...ee/swpgn222.zip

to test your own headphones. if your headphones are perfect the loudness form 20 hz to 20 khz should increase gradually then fall off after like 15khz gradually.

if there are any anomalies around 1-10 khz then your cans suck

• 3 years later...

i been having my (AKG K240 monitor) for 5 years now and they are still great.but i want to buy some new sometime soon, but dont know which one yet. <_<