don t like shpongle

Guest lespagnol

is it a crime ? I allways believed that shongle was one of my favourite but i know realize that I don t really like this album...Yes something like asura , toires , or ooze are really ambient stuff with no cheesy flute ,those albumls give me a feeling of happiness end relaxation.In fact shongle doesn t give me that...shit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dr. Cheroot

shpongle sucks ass.

the only people who need to stop doing drugs is raja ram and posford!!

he he.

come n get me!!

This is just pathetic....if someone doesn't like shpongle it's their choice....traveller....saying that someone doesn't like it becaouse he takes drugs is also pathetic, how do you even know that he takes drugs?.....But I think that the main reason someone doesn't like them is because it's a bit too complicated to be listened like a chill out album...since people probably want to just lie down and relax and shpongle is a bit more than that...you can even dance to it, there are some tracks that are really fast and energetic...take DMT remix for instance....it's completely different from some other shpongle tracks

Guest Ciotera

i agree with dovla.. the comparison to asura, ishq and toires is flawed.. it's not meant to be ambient or relaxing.. it's meant to make you anxious.. it's not really for dancing either.. it's mostly for tripping (either with psychedelics or without).. i know something for sure, nobody who has listened to shpongle while on shrooms or acid (or even xtc) can help falling in love with it.. I have a long list of friends who got shpongled that way.. but that's not really necessary..

i hate to sound like an avid fan, but i think when credit is due it must be given regardless of how popular the creators of the work have become. Shpongle has pioneered one of the most imaginative musical styles in modern times. The level of complexity in their tracks is unparalleled elsewhere in psytrance.. classical music maybe, but nothing electronicly produced.

Guest Dr. Cheroot

so what is it guys?

does one appreciate shpongle when on drugs?

or does one appreciate shpongle when one stops taking drugs?

damn, this must be really deep music.

i love shlopngle...sphonglel...plongshel...spoglenh....

ummm...on second thoughts..

I don't see why Shpongle would be sooooo complex.. for me it isn't..

I did like the first album when it came, but now when I listen to it it's just not the same anymore. I don't get that feeling I used to get in my mind.. :)

that buzz u get when u hear something fantastic, u know?

and if the only way to really enjoy Shpongle is to do drugs, well.. that's just stupid of them!

Guest bahamut

I'm also deshpongleing. I mean, it's still better than most music out there... but not THAT special anymore since I started listening to lots of other ambient & IDM. The only track that still stands out for me is And The Day Turned To Night.

this music should cause deat by antonishment,so after listening to it a 1000 times,you couldnt be antonished by it anymore :)

just my opinion:buy it with a bunch of shroomies and listen to it(or the next one) while infected :)

boom

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

I like actual tracks not soundscapes or eternal synths (goodbye 50% ambient), I like etnic stuff, weird instruments...I like warmth, music that touches the soul, melodic twists that are pleasant to listen to (goodbye IDM). I like it weird, a bit of Magical Mystery Tour (Beatles) and Umma Gumma (Pink Floyd).

Spongle combined that in their first album and is therefore still my favourite. If any other artist delivers that mix (served chilled of course), let me know...

Guest bugbread

By the way, methinks Traveller was taking the piss.

I think I like Shpongle precisely BECAUSE there are so many good but the same bands out there. I've listened to Makyo, Ishq, etc. They're all fine, fine musicians. But they don't GET me. The only other person who GETS me in the same was as Shpongle is Schulman.

So, if you don't like Shpongle, fine by you. If you do like it, fine by you. But certainly don't make the mistake that you have to like drugs to like the music. Hell, my dad likes Shpongle, and he's about as far from drugs as a person can be. It's just a matter of tastes.

Guest Elysium Project

The problem with some sphongle "fans" as I see it...please kick my ass.......is that there's a bit too much interlectual "drug" nonsense going on in their heads and pro speaches :-)....They remind me of the psedo-intellectual authors that hang around cafe's pretending they are smart and all-knowing :-)

Music is about taste...period. NOT drugs...Drug is a mean to support the music not the other way around.

Yes Simon and especially Raj have a long career in drug experimentation and their music certantly do get influenced by it but it does not mean that they are more unique or better than any other artist....just becuase Simon is good at layering weird sounds scapes and have twisted ideas and because raj is a ok fluteplayer that tend to go "amok" with his universe and alien theories does not mean that they are masters of all aspects in music creation...I know of and musicians and bands that would kick their ass when it come to creating rythms, melodies, build - up's ect..... Don't missunderstand me now...I do like their music but it's such a big world and there's so much tallent out there for me to "flip out" over their music...personally non of their CD's have been CD's that were played that much in my home...but again that's just my taste. Personally I would much rather listen ot ORB and FSOL which by the way have been very big influences to Simon.

Only artist who can make such a music is Mozart and since he isn't around anymore.. well actually I think that Si is reborn Mozart..

anyhow my point being.. don't like it.. fine.. but why do you have to tell us that? shpongle is like strawberry icecream.. simply the best flavour.. and still some ignorants prefer chocolate..

anyhow.. I sort of got tired of their 1st album and then dived more deeply into the 2nd 1 which I didn't like too much atfirst.. but now it's a pure crystal jewel.. on the other hand lately I have started to dig thw 1st album again..

Guest bugbread

EP:

"The problem with some sphongle "fans" as I see it...is that there's a

bit too much interlectual "drug" nonsense going on in their heads and

pro speeches :-)....They remind me of the psedo-intellectual authors

that hang around cafe's pretending they are smart and all-knowing :-)"

Amen. I think Shpongle is cooler than popsicles, but even I get annoyed by some other Shpongle supporters. Fine, so it's great on drugs...get over it. A lot of things are. For all I know, They Might Be Giants might sound like the voice of God on drugs.

Tying all this mystical bullshit to music just brings the quality down. All of a sudden it's not good because it's good, it's good because of mystical qualities or certain chemicals. That kind of position just cheapens the music, in my opinion.

Of course, as I said, I think Shpongle is incredibly good, but that is me, and not everyone else. The problem with most avid fans of ANYTHING (Shpongle, minimal, oldskool, Limp Bizkit) is that, since something is so GOOOOD for them, they assume that anyone who doesn't like it is shallow / stupid / whathaveyou. That ends out creating a backlash of its own, like this thread.

So, in summary:

I like Shpongle

I hate minimal

I think Orb is great, but Shpongle is way better

You can all think that my opinions on music are completely off base, and that's just fine.

Guest Elysium Project

Well I totally agree with you bugbread :-)

traveller wrote:

"shpongle is like strawberry icecream.. simply the best flavour.. and still some ignorants prefer chocolate.."

My comment:

The ignorant is the person thinking that only one flavour of icecream will do.