V/A-Platipus Records

SeaWasp

1.01 Robert Miles - Children (Dream Version) (7:36)

1.02 Poltergeist - Vicious Circles (Union Jack Remix) (7:00)

1.03 Art Of Trance - Octopus (Man With No Name Remix) (7:15)

1.04 Salamander - Tempest (Union Jack Remix) (7:12)

1.05 Union Jack - Red Herring (Original Mix) (8:37)

1.06 Catalyst - What? (7:23)

1.07 Quietman - Plastic Gourd (10 Inch Remix) (7:06)

1.08 Art Of Trance - Octopus (Original Mix) (8:35)

1.09 Union Jack - Cactus (9:45)

1.10 Art Of Trance - Orange (7:39)

2.01 Union Jack - Two Full Moons And A Trout (Exclusive 14" Mix) (7:45)

2.02 Art Of Trance - Cambodia (Clanger Remix) (6:59)

2.03 Clanger - Seadog (FOG Mix) (6:20)

2.04 Poltergeist - Vicious Circles (Spirit Level Mix) (6:01)

2.05 Art Of Trance - The Colours (Indigo Mix) (7:00)

2.06 Technossomy - Elektron Bender (Willie Mix) (6:00)

2.07 Art Of Trance - Gloria (Transparent Mix) (7:45)

2.08 Nicely - Away The Throttle Pedal Stop (Union Jack Remix) (6:09)

2.09 Art Of Trance - Deeper Than Deep (Poltergeist Remix) (7:11)

2.10 Union Jack - Lollipop Man (7:17)

2.11 Art Of Trance - Sea Of Tranquility (6:53)

Posted Image

Hey guys... first CD review, I guess I'm reviewing old platipus stuff. anyway, here it is:

this is a cd compilation of platipus records 2 and 3.

The First track, the famous, but terribly overplayed Robert Miles - Children seems very out of place with all the other names. But its okay, I guess, for non- psy lovers. I'm afraid I don't like this one. his music tends to be very cheesy, and when I went out to buy his album, I was sad to find all the instruments he used were the same.

Poltergeist :ph34r: - Vicious Circles: this one is stomping!! heh... no subtleties here, just fine acidpsy. some good 303ing action here... neat snare fx too.

Art Of Trance - Octopus (Man With No Name Remix): heh, a good mwnn remix... I was very dissapointed with his mixing job, and tracks on distance to goa 9, his best stuff is certainly his old stuff.

Salamander - Tempest (Union Jack remix): This one will always have a place in my heart. there is very good 303ing in here. as well, neat snare fx. very simplistic arpeggios, but complex percussion arrangements make this one very catchy.

Union Jack - Red Herring: This one takes time to like. the vowel pads seem like union Jack are over doing it, but then, after a few listens, you start to really feel the soundscapes and they start drivingthemselves into the middle of your head

Catalyst - What?: one word: weird. this one sounds like a duck.

Quietman - Plastic Gourd (10 Inch Remix): This one has a long intro (a full 3 minutes), if your not into a long dragging intro, don't listen to this one. you'll be missing out on alot.

Art of Trance - Octopus (original mix): Wow. this one, I think I prefer to the mwnn remix, big soundscapes, again, neat arpeggios, and cutoff freqs and all that. and to top it off: A conch shell!! ;)

Union Jack - Cactus: this one is one of the more intense ones, that drive themselves into the center of your head ;). beautiful choirs, and haunting acidlines, top this one off.

Art of Trance - Orange: nin tata ;). first thing you hear... I swear... it is. this one is a very light acid trancer, cvery danceable but also very psychedelic...

anyway, I will get back to reviewing the second half, i have an exam to go to...

I'm back!!

Anyway disk 2 open with the 14" mix of two full moons and a trout by Union Jack this one has a very jungle-y vibe (not jungle music but like sorta... in the jungle ;))

union Jack is followed by the clanger's mix of Art of Trance - cambodia this is a neat one, again rich with complex arpeggios, and neat 303 effects.

next, another remix ; the FOG mix of The Clanger's Seadog. Not my cup of tea, can't say I like it.

Yet another remix, this time its vicious circles. I think it doesn't have as much energy as the first, but it still shines

seeing as how i'm running out of things to say for remixes, tracks one through 9 are remix tracks....

The colours is yet another beautiful, acidic psychedelic trancer... and one of my personal favs.

Technossomy's contribution (elektron bender) is a very eastern influenced acidpsy production, (lolz, "words of advice for young people")

Art of Trance - Gloria (wtf uplifting psy???) yes its uplifting acidpsy. driving bassline and beautiful strings are sure to converts any uplifting fan into a psy fan ;)

Nicely - Away The Throttle Pedal Stop (Union Jack Remix): kind of mediocre imo...

Art Of Trance - Deeper Than Deep (Poltergeist Remix) this one is also a little mediocre

this album should have cosed with Union Jack's "Lollipop Man". it would have made for a nice end, instead, it ended with the awkward "sea of Tranquility" which I wasn't feeling.

anyway, this album is definately worth buying, if some how you could throw away the first and last track, this would make for a hard hitter.....

catch you later ;)

• 9 months later...

Thanks to gurutrance I discovered Platipus compilations.

Wow, this one have tracks that I love from really much time, and

some tracks that I didn't know before.

I think there's no need to spend many words here, because almost all

are classic.

My preferred are : Octopus (original version), Two full moons and a trout,

children , elektron bender (this one more for nostalgic reason).

Pleasant surprises have been two tracks by Art of Trance : Orange and

Sea of tranquillity .

Rate .

Well, if you (like me) like this old style of trance, this is a perfect

compilation. It's more dreaming than acid , with relaxing tracks and funny/party

ones. But you've to like old school .

• 4 weeks later...