Old School - I understand now

Guest stringtheory

I can understand now why some of you have been frustrated by newer releases. I have listened to enough older stuff now to really see the gradual change from the Old School sound to current. And for those of you who are really into the Old sound, I can understand how it must be frustrating for you that very few artists are releasing anything that has that style. Personally, I love all psytrance. Both old school and new. But now I can understand why some of you are frustrated by the current state of psytrance :-)

hi stringtheory,

i would agree, especially after rediscovering elixir :-).

but there is one thing i don't like in nearly all old goa tunes: it's the bass drum. they are all the time the same and they have not as much power as these ones used today in "modern" psy-sound.

in terms of melodies and using layers i would agree. good old times :-)

chris

Guest snusnu

yes, on the other hand, I've made the "reverse trip" stringtheory here has made... after listeing for years and years to oldschool, I understand why the style changed to what it's like now!! I mean with oldschool it's always the same thing, basically, screechy sounds thrown in your face everywhere... gets kinda boring actually...

SMI²LE

Guest Kristian

I've given up newschool.. Always the same monoton bass sequence, booooring... Let's have more OLDSCHOOL again, mindblasting stuff! Let's hope for the coming Pleiadians album!

Until then I'm satisfied with synthmusic like: E-craft, POWER AND MELODIES just as it once was in the trancescene!

The consensus among my group of friends and aquantances is one gets into progressive/minimal and then gets into the older stuff. I like Tip personally and Twisted & I like Koxbox. For Modern Psychedelic, get into DeMon Tea, Exogenic, Boom. I have a good feeling about the new Nervasystem album :)

Guest Lifeform

I'd have to say synergy is still old school. One of my all time favorite albums! ... the way i see it, 2000 was the turning point from old to new psy. I like some new stuff, but it doesn't give me that feeling old school always does. It's just sad to see so many great artists busting out huge melodies and actually showing musical background, to just a mainly a phatter beat with some swirling flangers/phasers over it. let see can you guess who i'm talking about? ~ahem~ xdream! excuse me, seems i gotta something stuck in my throat. ~ahem~ Dont get me wrong, some of it's still pretty cool. i've complained enough on this forum about this issue, it's best not to get me started again! : D

...and about the strong bass kick... old school goa wasn't about the bass elements, it was about the geometic shapes they created over the foundation. I always saw it as being sounds dancing behind your eyelids, rather then getting up and moving to it ... though that works too.

Guest Mrrshan

I think 96-97 was a turning point. Almost all goa I listen to was published before 1997. I rather listen to techno than minimal or progressive psy. Yesterday I tried GMS and Logic Bomb and they sounded pretty awful to me.

Guest D-Dave

I completely agree. Whats so funny is that peoplt think the psytech, progressive, minimal etc etc artists within trance are doing something new.

They are not. They are just taking old techno and house things and putting it into trance with a bloody boring result imho.

I agree 96-97 was a turning point. Most releases after that has been more interested in making good productions, not good songs!

Guest stringtheory

I wasn't saying that I like Old School more. I like both old school and new school very much. I like all psytrance. I think some of you misunderstood me :-) All I was saying is that I now understand alot of the posts where people are complaining about how there are no more old school style releases. I have listened to a broad enough scope of psytrance now that I can see the distinct sytle changes that have occured. So now I can understand where people are coming from.

D-Dave you are VERY WRONG, i don't know whether that was bait, but you are obviously listening to the wrong type of progressive/minimal. People are lead to believe music must have melodies, these types are also influenced by the misconception that fast is hard..

Listen to tenka,pixel,dark driver or insect sun tr 8..(there are so many more)

Guest D-Dave

Well most minimal/progressive I´ve heard has been completley unpsychedelic compared to the 90s trance.

There was a change in drugs in 98 and most of the trance music isnt psychedelic anymore.

Im not gonna argue about this, its my subjective opinion. I have had some pretty trippy times listening to Noma, but not at all as trippy as listening to psy-harmonics australian madness or scandinavian music.

I will check out the names, thanks. I´d be glad to hear some psychedelic minimal.

Son Kite: Perspectives Of....man I couldn't force myself to listen to that more than few minutes.

I'll take Psy Harmonics, Schlab or Twisted rather than Son Kite or Digital Structures thank you very much...

I would get bored to death listening to that repetative house all night, yes HOUSE, you heard me right.

nomad you're funny. You "must've learned that and ther's a big difference between ...." phrase in some grade school debate class and think it can still make you sound intelligent.

I mean read your arguments again "People are lead to believe music must have melodies, these types are also influenced by the misconception that fast is hard"

......and also....

"there's a big difference between repetative and hypnotic"

Besides how can you say that " it's quality through and through" Now think about it for a second. Something to be quality needs to be measurable and therefore compared to something else. How the hell do you measure music or even art for that matter?

Can't you just be an adult (I'm assuming you are at least age wise) and deal with a fact that someone else doesn't like the music you do?

...and by the way, I don't find anything hypnotic about Son Kite...I find it repetative and booooring to listen all night...