What's your favorite Psy-listening environment?

There seem to be two main crowds in the psytrance community (feel free to slap me if I'm overlooking something):

1. Those who live and breath the psytrance party and the types of dancing it encourages (/is compatible with/enables). Those who travel through countries at a time to get to as many parties as possible as often as they can.

2. Those who live and breath the psytrance listening experience, as well as the trance it provokes. Those who keep upgrading thier sound-systems or purchasing newer headphones in order to obtain the perfect psy-listening experience.

The difference here is environment. Which do you prefer? I understand many of the people in group 1 are also part of group 2, but I'm wondering which is your favorite.

Do you like to hit a party and hear the psy BLASTING (usually a bit distorted due to acoustics and/or volume, along with a huge crowd making loads of noise) and join in on the dance-floor to let your body fully connect with the pulsing energy created and synergized by (hopefully) hundreds of other people grooving to the music?

Or do you prefer to hit your pillow with some headphones or sit in your chair with speakers aimed right at your ears and listen deeply for every tiny sound and change, every pattern and shift, every high and every low, almost as if "researching" or "studying" the music?

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

I'm in group 2. Psytrance is a very personal experience to me, perhaps because I only have one other friend who's really into it in my town.

Guest Goagabba

Hey dude,

A little bit of 1. I love travelling around the world in search for the perfect festival. Locally I don't go to many parties (UK). Not many outdoor parties, most of 'em are indoors, in the most dissmal places.

When I used to live in South Africa, I went to some of the best parties on the planet. If any of you have heard of Alien Safari, you'll know what I mean.

A little bit of 2. All I ever listen to is psy nowadays. Used to have a bit of punk, or something, but now it's psytrance exclusivly. I just got my first pair of Sennheisers, and yes, what have I been missing in the world of home listening.

I like the dancing and the synergy, but alas, the pillow + headphone thing has gotta be done, with a little spliff of course, hehe.

Bom

Guest Slidingtrancer

Pillow, spliff and headphones and party once in a while...

I think to do parties every week has more to do with addiction to cheap drugs than with the love for psytrance.

Guest Navigator

same here, not too many parties, no interest in seeing the same face every week.

btw I really like 2 play psytrance in the car -> all those people watching wtf is this for weird,sick,twisted music :-))

Guest Goagabba

Indeed, Nav, in the car, forgot to mention that one. Also a very good psy-listening environment. I guess that'll have to be 3. on your list Matt.

Guest Sienis

in the woods!!!!!!!!......with wonderful openminded people who are there to share love and experiences with eachother....

there´s nothing like a good forest party with not too many people....

also the soundsystem doesn´t have to be BADABOM.....just something a little smaller, that way you can hear all the sounds clearly....

and of course there are loads of different ways to listen to psy, but still; take your stereo outdoors and BBQ with your friends and just chill....

the nature is the only real psy enviroment =)

BoM!

Guest spacemonkey - 604

home listener, but the car is whicked, open your windows and let people gaze at that alien sound as you blast past them!

In this order :

1. At home but through good speakers rather than headphones. I really dig the headphones Sennheiser HD590s though. It is real joy to find some real good tracks on a cd you bought. MP3 really convenient also, you can rip all your tracks to MP3 at highest quality and then play track after track from a large selection without having to get up and change the cd. (i must sound like a lazy shit)

2. In the car, especially when being driven fast, rolling a giant.

3. I have not had the opportunity to hear psy trance on a real good soundsystem at a party, like a professionally installed turbosound system. Nevertheless, the sound is often much different than at home, sounds are emphasised in a different way (cant explain it well). I have never been at a party straight, so that is probably a factor. The dj is also a major factor, mixtapes at home really dont measure up to an excellent dj in full power. Crowd interaction definately improves the experience and brings rushes when people are shouting on a huge breakdown. Although i have never been very into dance, much happier chilling with a group of friends and watching. Also tracks may get played at a party which you will never get to buy. Sounds better outside, no reflections from concrete walls.

I really enjoy the after party scene though, still wide awake in the morning, listening to some great tracks at someones house with friends until everybody crashes out. Or otherwise mini parties at peoples houses, always less stress than big parties. Chance to really relax and enjoy your experience and the music.

"I think to do parties every week has more to do with addiction to cheap drugs than with the love for psytrance."

Thats the most f-cking stupid thing i've ever heard :)

I go out every weekend i can to listen to trance, because i love dancing, i love being with friends, i love staring at gorgeous trance dancing chicks- and i'm barely ever on chemicals if its jut a standard little nightclub :)

still like headphones+spliff+pillow.... but i prefer a great system, a wicked venue, and loads of people smiling in the dawn light .....

EA on my recent camping trip I was blessed with the ability to take my headphones down to a river, sit on a blanket, eat a sandwich, and listen to shpongle in the shade :)

It was one of the most peaceful moments of my life :-D

Yes I forgot to mention in the car and outdoors :-} any other favorite environments?

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

damn i'm tired!

Guest Mindtwister

I think nr. 2!!!

Nice volume + Nice Psy/Goa + Bed + Dark in the room + No other sounds = The best experience you can get...!

Ok, partys are great, but not as good as I described above!

//Mindtwister

I myself love the full on psy coming from all angles in a nice outdoor venue, surrounded by a group of people stomping in the grass. As I play a track watching the crowd react to it.

I also find at different volumes the tracks sound alot different.

There is merit to listening to psy in other enviroments, home, car, walkman. I always listen to psy, it is such a dinamic sound, for me it fits into alot of aspects of my life. Hey if I can have psy for the first dance at my wedding it's all right.

there is no wrong way to listen to psy, just different emtions envoked when you do it.

Lair