Posted Image

Music to Films 1

1. 16:48 Movement I

2. 11:55 Movement II

3. 09:47 Movement III

4. 23:50 Movement IV

5. 14:51 Movement V

All tracks written by Dr. Atmo & Oliver Lieb

This collaboration between frequent (early) Faxlabel contributor Dr. Atmo and prolific trance producer Oliver Lieb is certainly one of the most sought after releases of the label. The album was conceived as an alternative score to the movie Koyaanisqatsi, and with great success IMO. I have to admit that I enjoyed equally as much watching the film with this CD playing as with the original soundtrack by Philip Glass, as it fits really well with the images too. Despite the involvement of Lieb, this is still an ambient album, however not overly similar to Constellation, which I found quieter and a bit less engaging than this. Not surprisingly, the melodies have a definite trance feel here, and Dr. Atmo adds an ethnic touch in several places.

During Movement I you get the feeling that it is indeed some kind of film music rather than your ordinary space ambient. That might be due to the fact that this track feels rather “static”, and that’s actually a good thing as it builds up a certain suspense that way. After the opening chords, a simple chime-like tone pattern appears, which is later played by something that sounds a bit like an organ and eventually “sung”/chanted by some odd choral voices. These voices appear in several passages throughout the album and, though being of a different sound nature overall, have a similar effect to the voices of the Glass soundtrack. Towards the end of the piece, a majestic, sweeping melody emerges from nowhere, and up to that point you’ll realise the imminence of a truly fantastic journey.

Movement II features a very nice and spacey intro, and there are different sounds used for the main melody: a high-pitched, sort of jingling sound, a lush trancey synth, and again those voices. The whole thing sounds a bit foreboding, and it ends with a sample (“…at that time all life on your planet will be destroyed…..we see you have a small talent for war, we’ve seen your primitive conflicts, your cruel weapons….”) that fits the corresponding scene of the film very accurately.

With Movement III the mood changes into a more cheerful one. Some nice tribal drumming can be heard in this one. I can’t say much more about this track, except that it works nicely as a transition.

And now the fun part of the album really begins :) . Movement IV starts with a voice repeatedly calling “hello?” for about 2-3 minutes, often appearing in a spooky pitched-down form, while some short tribal sample is thrown in every once in a while. Now that’s what I call one freaky intro, haha! :D Then, after some familiar chords, a marvellous Olli-style melody makes an appearance, and it builds up to a huge thing, I can tell you; it’s not hard to realise that you’re at the peak of the journey here. It’s no exaggeration to say you’ll be blown away from here on. This melody takes turns with a rather hectic piano melody. The voices are also present of course, and the drums from the previous track come in again. We can also hear some odd sounding ethnic percussion (with truly mesmerizing effect!) here and there, which later gets replaced by an equally as psychedelic synth line. This is the most intense and dynamic piece on the CD; it really keeps you entertained for the entire duration. And it's such a fitting soundtrack to the time-lapse part of Koyaanisqatsi! Really impressive!!

Ultimately, there is Movement V, which is a stunning track as well. On the whole, it is smoother and mellower than its predecessor, and it has a half melancholic/half optimistic vibe in some way. I particularly like the disappearance of the main melody (though it’s excellent) later on, which reveals the whole beauty of a steeldrum-like melody that has been running more in the background before. Truly enchanting.

In conclusion, I have to say that this is definitely more than just the ‘background’ type of film music. The music is forming an epic on its own, whether it’s consumed as the amazing ambient trip that it is, or used to complement the wonderful movie it was composed for.

Fave tracks: 2, 4(!), 5(!)

Btw, in the track listing of the disc it says “Music to Films 1”, which makes me assume that it was originally planned as a series. Too bad it never happened :rolleyes:.

OMG ! I wasn't even aware of their collaboration, I've heard about release Music To Films but had no idea it was their collaboration...sounds stunning, would try to get it as soon as possible... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

What a perfect ambient soundtrack ! If you can call it like that. I can only hear Oliver Lieb dominating here, there are his pads, melodies and harmonies.

Astro Cortex has summoned it all, I won't get deeper in the review. This is perfect album for relaxing and chilling. As usual with Oliver Lieb, he knows it. :D

Whatever this guy touches it turns into gold. Lieb is one of the few artists that always manages to pull it off. 10/10

What a perfect ambient soundtrack ! If you can call it like that. I can only hear Oliver Lieb dominating here, there are his pads, melodies and harmonies.

Astro Cortex has summoned it all, I won't get deeper in the review. This is perfect album for relaxing and chilling. As usual with Oliver Lieb, he knows it. :D

Whatever this guy touches it turns into gold. Lieb is one of the few artists that always manages to pull it off. 10/10

Never underestimate Dr. Atmo :) This is indeed fantastic!

• 11 months later...

sample repost anyone, seems a marvellous cd from what you all write :)

curious to hear.. especially because i played might and magic and curious to hear the similitudes kai-q mentiones above