V/A - Goa trance

SkeletonMan

Posted Image

Label: Rumour Records

Catalog#: TRIPCD02

Released: 1995

Tracklisting:

01 Astral Projection Power Gen (07:31)

02 Salamander Tempest (Moonweed Mix) (06:10)

Remix - Moonweed

03 Total Eclipse Le Lotus Bleu (Remix) (07:17)

04 Razor's Edge The Zoo (Sourmash Remix) (10:09)

Remix - Sourmash

05 Etnica Tribute (08:20)

06 Organic Tea Citric Acid (07:25)

07 Man With No Name Sly-ed (05:52)

08 Spacebuggy Starlit (08:01)

09 Disco Volante Moonraker (Man With No Name Remix) (07:23)

Remix - Man With No Name

10 Morning Wave Dreams (07:02)

In 1995 trance as a genre was still in its infancy and I will ascribe this fact, that Morning Wave's Dreams was included on this album. If this is goa trance, let alone trance, call me Albert Hoffmann. Wow, this is pretty horrible techno (the sample is stupid, the bass is boring, the lead is cheesy) to end this album. Striking that the fall through tracks on this album are placed either at the beginning or the end! Track 2 and 3 ain't much worth either. So let me jump right to the middle section :)

Etnica, as always, delivers. Tribute carries all the Etnica trademarks, and in 1995 they never shone brighter. Fantastic track from start to finish. Organic Tea has the challenge of following up and does so surprisingly well!! Interesting for me as I knew nothing of this act beforehand and to my knowledge hasn't released anything else on major labels/compilations since. But here they treat us a techno inspired trance track, that doesn't start very well, but at some point falls in place and comes through. Trust me, give in to it and at 6:22 your patience is rewarded :). Just remember, the real melody here to follow is the "bass" kicking in at 1:39. If you get on that, it's quite deep ;o)

M.W.N.N. also makes one of his earlist appearances here. Trippy, deep, and melodic trance, at the same time, Martin Freeland seats the dance floors on a flight to Smileville, but we sure all will appreciate this for the girl in us! Beatifull track. Hell, he even gets away with modulation at 3:12.

Lastly, it would be downright improper not to mention Razors Edge's The Zoo (Sourwash rmx). Like Organic Tea, they too start questionable, fouling with a lame "Futuro, Destiono" sample, but with a bass saving the day from 1:08. Oh, and when it goes mayheem around 3:39 ... You know the tracks where you never know if you're following the right bass?

A couple of improper tracks aside this an interesting 1995 psytrance release and definitely worth considering if you come across it.

• 1 year later...

Yeah wasn't tribute made in 1993?

man were etnica always ahead! (not anymore though :( )

I don't know. You could be right :)

Anyway, I put the cd up for sale. Came to realise I never listened to it. It's not bad. Just one in a million compilations I guess :ph34r:

I was told tribute is from 1995 and another track called "tribute (to goa)" is from 1993.

That's right, for what I know, and if there is anybody better informed, please feel obliged to correct me! After "Tribute (to goa) blew the fuck up, so to speak, it was remixed and released as "Tribute" in 1995, I think. And boy what a track is it... I've been keeping it in constant rotation on the latest Retrodelic Vibes compilation, together with "Alcyone". Those synth stabs on "Tribute"... too nice to be true! How could anything go wrong...?