http://www.discogs.com/release/33079

Artist: Technossomy

Title: Make It Fit

Label: Flying Rhino

Date: 1996

Track listing:

01. 12'34" VTOL (Full Length Version)

02. 08'07" Porcupine

03. 09'33" Electron Bender (Samsara Live Mix)

Review:

Brain killing tracks. UTDL starts smoothly, and goes stronger and stronger till

the end. Absolutely great! Electron bender is as good, maybe better, it will

make you dance. Porcupine is not as good ... 8,5/10

Edited by DeathPosture
Updated info from Discogs. Corrected invalid artwork.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

"Jesus Christ! That thing is full of static electricity!"---------- Need I say more?

V.T.O.L. still remains one of the genre defining tracks. A huge, 12 minute epic revolving around two differents exchanging drum patterns, and each one of them having its own accompanying melody and fxs. This is my favorite Technossomy track, and the one which has according to me stood the test of time better than any other track they have done except maybe for the equally classic The Pyramid. One of those old gems which can even nowadays blow any crowd off their feet if properly introduced. Even soundwise this gem sounds great. If I didn't know the year of it's making, hell, I'd even take a wild guess about it being fresher! The layers are really well constructed and are better distinguishable than on most other records from mr. Monro and mr. Evans. The melodies are fast, very catchy, danceable and highly psychedelic! AAaahhh, the glory days of Mr. Monro before abbandoning the goa ship and embarking on the progressive/minimal voyage... Unforgettable track!

"Porcupine" is a great track, but to be honest, I never really heard it up until one time I decided to listen to the EP from end to beginning. Why? Because every time "V.T.O.L." finished, the track kept on floating through my head during the whole 8 minutes of "Porcupine". Unfairly naturally, as it is a sweet little tune, but nothing to brag about as it pretty much stays in the typical mid ninetees goa sound, which is a very good thing! It's much slower and less full onish than its predecessor, but I must admit it comes in handy as a little break point before going into track 3...

..."Elektron bender (Samsara live mix)" which is one hell of a party track. I once heard on some private party and it got the whole place on their feet in seconds. A nice, groovy, pretty pumping track accompanied by a wonderful, if not too demanding or complicated melody. In fact, "Elektron bender" doesn't come anywhere near the complexity of "V.T.O.L." but it doesn't even try to! The track follows in that beautiful early Flying Rhino Records melodic, goaish, party trance! YAY!!!! Very catchy melodies, a few nice breaks (pauses) and a beautiful old school feel good vibe... What more could you possibly ask for?

FINAL VERDICT: "V.T.O.L." is the track to watch out for. An EP containing only that track would of been a 8.5/10, but with the inclusion of the other two tracks, listening to this almost eleven years after its original release, I reckon it's fair to grant this EP a well deserved 9.5/10! Well done, Technossomy, too bad we never got a "replay" of this release... Boom!

• 3 years later...

VYeKT3i.jpg

Artist: Technossomy
Title: Make it Fit EP
Label: Flying Rhino Records
Date: December, 1996

01. 12'34" VTOL (Full Length Version)
02. 08'07" Porcupine
03. 09'33" Electron Bender (Samsara Live Mix)

Oh, f*ck me, more British domination? This almost isn't fair. How in the hell did they lose the colonies? Did we send over a bunch of hookers and then they sailed east? This is (or was because they haven't released anything since 1997) James Monro & Matt Evans the former being the co-founder of the great Flying Rhino Records. In the goa hierarchy they tend to get overlooked, but that is a mistake. Their album Synthetic Flesh can hold it's own with solid tracks like Pyramid, Elektron Bender, and VTOL. I love how the EP title isn't one of the tracks. There's a curve for ya.

VTOL- "Jesus Christ everything is full of static electricity!"

This is the full version so pack a lunch. Over 12 and a half minutes of deep, layered storytelling. That's half of a sitcom! Or 188 times longer than this fight:

sYwx7Zd.gif

It begins slowly, with effects and whirling sounds. Clearly this is of foreign origin, as alien tones creep in and leave just as quickly. A melody hesitantly growls, and flowers becoming a screaming arpeggio that rises and falls. After 4 and a half minutes of intro the beat and melody become more of what you expect from a goa track. Leads crawl and scrape amidst the alien landscape, twisting and turning with a dark edge forcing you to dance. The slight break offers a nice respite, but you can hear that it is gearing up for a second run. New leads get filtered and choked out getting thicker right up to the end. Awe.some.

Porcupine- Slow bass pops as more claws scratch the rocks around you. This is much slower and less aggressive than VTOL, with more of a psytrance bent. I tell you this is a very underrated project. Metallic leads clamor back and forth with an awesome break full of evil leavings. Those leads come back with a slight key change and it gets plenty thick. I wasn't too fond of this track as it really didn't go anywhere but it does have a lot of dark atmosphere and that is delicious. Even Michael Jordan missed a few shots.

Elektron Bender (Samsara Live Mix)- The version on the album is an absolute stormer and with that we are off with crunchy synths on repeat. That telltale lead jumps right out and this version feels a little more laid back. Smooth and casual, but crystal clear. Nice and not abrasive. I still prefer the original though.

Can't say too much about this other than it is a great EP. I would've preferred that Porcupine be the final track, but that is so minor that it's hardly worth mentioning. Very vivid and deep, with great melodies. It still sounds so good today.

Mdk