Different Time Signatures.

Guest parhelion

The post about tunes in triplets reminded me of a question I've always wanted to ask on this and other forums...

tell me some tracks in weird time signatures...5/4, 9/4 (blue rondo a la turk, hehe)...hell, even 3/4...

not just psy trance. I can't think any ELECTRONIC songs in a time other than 4/4.....

Parhelion,

You should listen to that whole album and get the new one, I think I remember him toying with times in at least one other Shpongle track.

god damn mad-scientist Simon Posford.... He basically kills all my other music when I get a new CD of his.. grr..

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Oh and i think in DMT he CHANGES the time signature a couple times to other weird sh*t

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Damn I gotta learn to get all my "stuff" out in one post. maybe I should just sit there for a few moments after I finish typing to make sure I'm done :) I'm gunna do that right now. Yeah that should do it.

Guest lÿsërgïç

i dont know if im thinking of the right thing here, but isnt a lot of heavy metal drumming done in that "triplet" beat pattern? cos i heard Dark Soho - Depth of emotion, which has triplets.. and it reminded me of heavy metal. i still think it sounds kick ass tho.

Guest parhelion

yeah, Dream Theatre is awesome :)...but, they're not electronic.

There's lots of good acoustic music out there in different time signatures...jazz in particular...Dave Brubeck, Don Ellis (I've got one of my dad's old records called "live in 3/(2/3)/4 time"...they really don't play in that time....I think that's humanly impossible, but the title's pretty cool :)

Guest green mouse

all Bulgarian folk music has extremely weird times...but that doesn't help you much...you are looking for electronic stuff....too bad...but what is wrong with acoustic?

Guest Reticullian

There is 7 beats per bar ( measure ) ,..

and > / 4 = the beats is a crotchet (quarter note)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 )

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 ) ....

You can count also,, it's easier !!!

1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 )

1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ) ....

can someone explain the numerator's meaning and the denominator's meaning? Don't tell me it's as simple as 7/4 = 7 note melody during 4 beats (1 measure)....

I can't be that... cuz it would be chaning all the time...

Guest Jikkenteki

The bottom number indicates what type of note is the basis for counting (4 (i.e. a quarter note) is the most common, although 8 (eight note) pops up some too, most electronic music doesn't go much beyond these two). The top number is the number of those notes in a bar, so 7/4 is seven quarter notes to a bar.