Good ways to count BPM?

Snapinho

Higha guys,

I've been trying to figure out what's a decent and reliable ways to count BPMs. I've got traktor but it's not really reliable, if ya ask me... Well, I should note I want to know the bpm's of my chill-cd's. Cause usually they're harder to mix cause the speed of the beats varies a lot more than when you play one certain kind of electronic music (fullon, prog, house, electro, whaddeva)

I'm trying Traktor and am being very much not happy with it. I've tried Mixmeister BPM Analyzer as well, but that one only works for mp3s. Thoughts anyone? :unsure:

Higha guys,

I've been trying to figure out what's a decent and reliable ways to count BPMs. I've got traktor but it's not really reliable, if ya ask me... Well, I should note I want to know the bpm's of my chill-cd's. Cause usually they're harder to mix cause the speed of the beats varies a lot more than when you play one certain kind of electronic music (fullon, prog, house, electro, whaddeva)

I'm trying Traktor and am being very much not happy with it. I've tried Mixmeister BPM Analyzer as well, but that one only works for mp3s. Thoughts anyone?  :unsure:

453322[/snapback]

eh.. you could count them manually. with a stop-watch.

the latest pioneer CDJs and mixers have half-decent built-in counters, though not sure how they'd work on something not 4/4.

You dorks would be sitting around in the midst of the industrial revolution wondering what all the fuss is about automated machines and mass production :rolleyes: lazy indeed. Of course we want to automate this process, what is there to gain from doing it manually except boredom?

we're talking about counters mon, no big deal... let's ask that same question in 5-8 years when CDJ's start obsolesence, turning the cd luggers into old schoolers. maybe kids will be asking in 20 years wtf was the use to manually beatmatch... and people will reply 'that was the challenge'... they might just laugh cause we can automate that process too ;)

hahahahaha ever wonder why they call it Intelligence DANCE Music ? ;)

484083[/snapback]

Because they want to feel different. Calling a genre "inteligent" is pretty much the stupidest thing one can do :) But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

People don't dance to it either, which makes the title extra dumb.

As for this automation subject... do I really have to write a message pointing out the all-too-obvious differences between pointless grunt labour like BPM counting and the complexities of actual mixing? Or maybe you think part of the creative arsenal of a DJ is his unique style of finding BPM? :lol:

god bless IDM, the ever-unmixable, un-countable, un-categorizable, un-danceable music.

483907[/snapback]

Sven Väth mixing Aphex Twin :o

People don't dance to it either, which makes the title extra dumb.

As for this automation subject... do I really have to write a message pointing out the all-too-obvious differences between pointless grunt labour like BPM counting and the complexities of actual mixing? Or maybe you think part of the creative arsenal of a DJ is his unique style of finding BPM? :lol:

484386[/snapback]

no man you don't i just thought your industrial revolution argument needed a slightly more relevant case in point than counters :)

484386[/snapback]

hahahaha :D yeah, i got this pointed out by various friends of mine who've been dj-ing somewhat longer than myself. Its not that I'm opposed to mixing or anything, it's just that I figured it would be helpful to have an idea in what direction I have to pitch. I mean, if its gonna be 20% I can already forget cause it'll fuck up the song too much (yes...i know... some songs sound even better when pitched up or down) but it was more to get a general feeling, so I can practice more, since I dont own cdjs (plus i sold my turntables a long time ago)

Thats all... but its obvious I need to practice more and just fuck up from time to time. :) Thanks anyway!

A lot of IDM is perfectly mixable, unless it's autechre stuff with chaning bpms and such, that's rather tricky :)

484579[/snapback]

there's some idm with predictable rhythms, though also enough stuff with off-beat/double-up beats etc.. not just autechre anymore. check out Apparat for example. just not their latest with [gasp] lyrics..