I'm a total noob

Hi

Okay, first of all I'm a total noob in electronic music making.

I just rediscovered some music software I once - already years ago, but age doesn't matter when it's about elementary basics or does it - obtained. I already wanted to make music years ago and got myself the stuff, but had no clue how to use it properly and still haven't.

Now, here's the thing: I have a synth, the Pro52, a virtual Prophet 5 synth. But I just can't get anything out of it that sounds at least a bit like I would like it to sound, like for example, a warm ambient sound. The problem is, I lack experience. Well, to tell the truth, I am a total noob and have not a clue what to do - I just randomly twist knobs and shit, but I don't know what they're for, I don't know what they manipulate, I don't know anything! I can dig through the effects bench, but what's in there I don't really like. I tried to seek for information, but couldn't find any proper one except that I now know how the hardware thing works in deatil (that there are two Oscis, a noise channel, a filter and whatnot), but that doesn't really serve me to get anything proper out of it.

I don't want to become a pro in music making. In fact I don't even really consider making music anymore anyway. But I want to get some experience in playing a synth, creating effects. And I have no clue where to start, so I guessed it would be somewhat good here. Maybe the Pro52 is not the right synth for my purpose (ambient soundscapes), but it could be at least enough for some basic skill, could it?

So the question I have is: where can I get started? What can I do? Just random shit knob twisting without me knowing what I'm doing does not satisfy me.

And please don't recommend me getting another synth now (except if the Pro52 is really crap for my purpose), I'd have no clue about operating it properly as well...

You kind of elimate it yourself from the solution... You have to get another synth to create the beatifull soundscapes windy alike. In Pro-52 you can do that, but it was not made for that...so it would be very hard to do that on Pro-52

You can instanly create an atmospheres on especial softwares like Absynth (get it) and Spectrasonics ( dont need to get yet, unless it turn out serious)

You can edit thou, so it makes your own sound

I guess what you need to learn is to control the wave form. In pro-52 there is the Atack(A) , Release®, Decay(D) and Sustain(S) for example. So if you have a punch sound like a Kick or a hat in its natural form. You can make the hat or kick not sound too punchy by increasing the atack sing and the release sing. so the wave would be extended in a form it would flow more....

Well obviously its not enought to creat your atmospheres :P ..... But what i am trying to say is, get a synth that has atmospheres presets and mess around with then untill you find something good

But Btw RTP, there is no way to get wht you want by instant rules or solutions. To really learn how to creat a beatiful atmosphere is hard and take years to understand only the basics of the potencial in editing sounds

Untill that, you will depends on lucky.....

Thanks ... I might try to get another synth then and play around with it.

I know it's a long process to get a somewhat decent result.

But you know, I just can't always turn knobs and have no proper outcome because I don't know what the knobs will be doing to the waveform and stuff ... so I decided to ask, because I got no good results so far through Google. And obviously it was the right thing, for I'd have never achieved anything with Pro52 alone when it's not designed for any sound I might want. I know it will take long to learn ... and I'm not that naive anymore to think that I will become a somewhat professional music artist one day, haha ... but maybe it will be enough once to have a basic knowledge how such a synth thing works and how it's operated properly to tweak the sound. I don't want to become a pro in any way, but I just want to know - if it isn't good for anything else it can at least help me understand the music better ... and it could even be useful when seeing some psy artist performing live whether he's got some skills or not, you know :)