Before I Upgrade

Hi Forum Dwellers,

It's time for a major sort out & rebuild of the PC.. Won't bore you with the fatality of the current one but when things go wrong it's nice to have a clean build with all drivers/studio software installed ( norton ghost image )...

Until now I've been running with the SW1000XG / 2 PLG cards XGpad / Cubase VST 5 / Albino / Absynth / Kontakt & some freebees. on Windows 2000 server custom configured to turn as much off as poss..

I never went to Windows XP as I was waiting to see what other people did but I think now is the time to go across...

Anyone advise me on pitfalls / things to watch out for so my day doesn't turn into a week of frustration..( already found the TweakXP site which is great )

The base unit is a Athalon 2000+ , 512MB with a NVDIA Geforce AGP.. I've no money so no possibility of upgrade at the moment..

regards

Slam

PS... Yes the Athlon 2000+ says 1.3Mhz in the start up screen so it's not a different machine from the one I was talking about in "latency issues" however I did ditch the RAM for 1x 512 stick instead of the two Dimms (128+256) that were in there..

Also ditched Xgedit for XG pad

PS the NVDIA card hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of on 2000

why you still haulin on 2000? i loved it too, but it's time to get on the XP bandwagon... i've used mine for the last... three years and... i had one fatal crash, and thats cause i took the battery of the laptop out while doing something... otherwise is stable enough and you might save some trouble later with drivers and whatnot, especially SP2 since they are not making things backwards compatible anymore...

just a thought

FYI 2000 and XP are the same core, XP just has a few more features and new graphics, but they are the same thing.

Windows Vista is about to come out, might've been better to wait for that. Good that you've got everything working though

I stuck to 2000 because I was worried about a decrease in system performance as I saw on my home PC & also because the lads in work were calling it (Windows X-tra P-roblems ).. Upgrading the hardware was never an option unfortunately as family commitments mean money for equipment is tight & monitored.. as is time.

Without the performance tweaks to xp from the tweak xp websites www.tweakxp.com & www.musicxp.net , the PC ran a little sluggish as I had predicted but turning off all the crap running in the background which I don't need has sorted that out & it's sweet now.

I can finally stop messing & do some proper recording.

Oh I won't go near windows vista for a few years until the general public have finished beta testing it for MS..

Regards

Slam

Ah, true about performance but just turn on the Classic theme and turn off all the useless graphical effects by right clicking my computer (on desktop) -> properties -> advanced -> performance. I don't have windows 2000 to make performance tests but I'm sure its faster than XP (by atleast a little though they are the same core), eitherway your processor and memory are more than capable of handling those settings, performance setback should be non-existing, you can minimize all your windows on the screen and they'd flash away in a split second and only use a couple of % of processing power. The reason performance is better is because they always make changes to their engine that manages processes so that they are run more efficiently, Vista is supposed to have plenty more of these fixes as well.

FYI 2000 and XP are the same core, XP just has a few more features and new graphics, but they are the same thing.

426475[/snapback]

hmm no entirely true...

Windows XP uses new algorithms to reduce Registry fragmentation, allowing faster reads. Registry memory was been moved from kernel memory space to paged memory to increase capacity. And when the system or an application starts, the OS retrieves the required entries in the background for instant access when they are called on. This is just talking about speed issues...there were big changes were between 2000 (that was actually an NT5) and XP...