Albums with only one sound

Basilisk

Is it just me or are chill cds much less susceptible to this "one sound" syndrome? Maybe I've just been steering clear of the more boring chill cds without realizing it.

Only albums I own that fall into this pit are Phi - Phinalizer and Beat Bizarre - Pandora's Groovebox, and they're not particularly bad offenders.

Guest The Journey Man Project

Oh there is bad chill out :blink: I've got a coupla oldies at home that I ca never get past the first about 2 minutes... I think oneis an insolation comp and a cjill comp from global trance network, they really really suck!! And bluetech, he has 3 tracks that rock, and the rest are very average and sound the same old same...

Guest The Journey Man Project

And Ott... he uses this filter or something all the bloody time and it sounds like one of the effects on a CDJ-100s ... it's the only thing about his music I cannot stand... sorry mr. ott I do love your msuci but this has always shitted me ...

remember when you could tell a transwave track from one by etnica, a mwnn track from one by hallucinogen, a green nuns track from one by total eclipse? That diversity is gone, and while you have a wide range of styles (from housey prog to full on and the "dark" stuff), there are very very few who have their own distinct sound. Back in the 90's, a sonically thematic album was fine because it was almost guaranteed to be different and thus interesting, but today it's a whole other story. Apparantly most producers think that you have to pick a sub-genre formula, and stick to it no matter what. Same kicks, same basses, same production techniques, same structures, same fucking mood in every track.

376359[/snapback]

I pretty much agree. The albums that do stand out these days (for me), come from the same artists who exceelled back in the day. But I think there was just as much crappy formula music back then. Distribution was just harder, with internet not being what it is today. I believe that's how the hardcore-craze ended...? I also blame the new software, that makes making "music" so easy. Everyone uses the same software, that can only do so much (let the bashing begin... - there are exceptions I know).

But then again, I sometimes too create mindless repetition of the cliches, but I'm having fun at the same time... And actually try to hit that sub-genre vibe intentionally. It's part of my creativity growing - learn the tricks of the trade and so on. I think everyone gathers inspiration from somewhere, but it should only go so far.

Oh yeah, I also think, that if you're devoted to "full-on", "deep", "minimal", or whatever, then you will be able to tell the different artists apart?

Just to nudge at the military-education thesis of Isrealy-trance, let's mention Prosect ;) - he quit the army, and makes wonderfully diverse music :D

-A

Fine, we do have stuff like Eskimo and even the latest Astrix.

But can you honestly say Infected Mushroom is uninspired or stagnant in their musical progression? Is Violet Vision boring? The last Dark Soho might not have touched as many people as the earlier ones - but is it even related to full on? These examples are the best ones I can think of, but there's also Sub 6, Fatali and others who have an interesting sound. Nothing near the of level of Nystagmus, Talpa or Filteria.. but hey, it's still good music.

Oh, by the way - the Violet Vision guys weren't in the army.