Digital Mystery Tour – D.M.T Express

pr0fane

Posted Image

Artist: Digital Mystery Tour

Title: D.M.T Express

Label: Sofa Beats (Iboga sublabel)

Format: CD (Jewelcase with 4 page inlay)

Released: September, 2005

Review:

Digital Mystery Tour is a project with 5 members - the most influential on the album being Stephane Holweck, an old member of Total Eclipse and Juno Reactor, and still producing psytrance under the name The Antidote. Another old member of Total Eclipse, Loid Vanpoucke, is also involved in Digital Mystery Tour, and so is Florian Seriot from the Toires project and two quite unknown players on the psytrance scene, Michio Baba and Guillaume Thevenin.

In 2001 they released their first self titled album on Twisted Records, and now, 4 years later they're ready with their second album "D.M.T Express". The label behind the release is Sofa Beats - a new sublabel to Iboga, dedicated to downbeat, chillout and ambient releases. Iboga have previously released several downbeat compilations over the years ("Floating Point" 1+2, "New Entry").

01. DMT Express

The journey begins with the title-track "DMT Express" - a relatively short (5 minutes) track with a quite lovely atmosphere, and a nice, relaxed groove on top of a mellow 4/4 beat. The atmosphere is somewhere between the organic and the digital, with a delicious flowing pads on one side, and on the other side a slightly shrill synth and some heavily processed vocal-samples, some of which feels a bit out of place. Fine opener.

02. Rue Des Roses

Where the opener was good, but not really that interesting, things get much better with "Rue Des Roses". Much more organic, with focus on an utterly marvellous acoustic guitar, accompanied by the relaxing sounds of birds singing, divine harps and enchanting ethnic vocals. Really good tune, flows extremely well.

03. Caraibo Grove

Like the first 2 tracks, "Caraibo Grove" is produced by Stephane Holweck alone, and again the atmosphere is very nice - starting quite digital with a tight synth, and slowly getting more ethnic, with some tribal percussion. Quite good tune, although I would say some of the percussion seems a bit too mechanic, and not really dynamic enough.

04. Voodoo Love

"Voodoo Love" is the first track the entire Digital Mystery Tour crew, and for most parts it's really good and well-crafted. It's a lot less chilled than the first 3 tracks, with a groove running at 120 BPM, making it suitable for slow dancing in the chillout. What I don't like is the vocals though - I find them annoying, and they seem way too dominant in the acoustic image.

05. Hikari Land

Here we get one of my favourites, the ultimate feel good tune on the album. "Hikari Land" builds on a really delicious groovy bassline, adding some very "tribal" male vocals - I don't know what they're saying (Moroccan maybe?), but they really suit the overall atmosphere of the track. Excellent tune, some way reminding me of the opener from Kaya Projects "Walking Through" album, but without the piano.

06. KIA (Toires Remix)

Florian Seriot is up next with "KIA", the first track without Stephane Holwecks influences, and the end result is pretty good. A lot of north African influences, and starting pretty dark in atmosphere, using some slightly melancholic vocals, but slowly getting more and more blissful.

07. Dematerializer

"Dematerializer" is the most gloomy tune on the album, with dark metallic synths giving flashbacks to the "Violent Relaxation" days of Total Eclipse. Unfortunately the overall impression is affected by a babbling female robotic voicesample used in both the beginning and the end of the track saying "… we got a special download for you that is irresistible. Free trial versions are available at dmt.com/download/kissmeplease/stopit". Fine track overall, but I have a hard time figuring out what the purpose was with that sample.

08. Pneumatic Bleeps

While the grooves in the previous tracks have been quite static, with the usual 4/4 beats, "Pneumatic Bleeps" is more breaks-inspired, using some heavily reverbed percussion, and continuing with the somewhat gloomy atmosphere from "Dematerializer", but perhaps going even deeper. Simple, yet very delicious and slightly funky.

09. Spirit Of The Deep

"Spirit Of The Deep" is more traditional beatless ambient, with nothing but long and huge atmospheric pads in the first 4 minutes, before picking up some heavy beats in the final part. Lush and slightly melancholic, but not highly original - and again a few minutes too short.

10. Sleeping Among Trees

"Sleeping Among Trees" conclude the journey, continuing the deep, nearly beatless ambient from "Spirit Of The Deep". Long whispery pads give associations of what the atmosphere must be like in and old forest, and the album comes to an end, unfortunately somewhat soon.

Bottom line:

Being released on an Iboga sidelabel, and with the reputation of the involved artists in mind, I was maybe expecting a bit more than the album did deliver. What especially bothered me was some of the vocals, which seemed terribly out of place, but also the playtime was slightly disappointing. Too many of the tracks were too short, and in total the album is only 60 minutes long - I would have preferred if it would have been at least 5-10 minutes longer.

That doesn't mean it's a bad release though - overall it's a very enjoyable album, and there are definitely some divine moments of pure bliss, where the talents of the people involved really shines through. Don't expect something very groundbreaking, but a pleasant journey into ethnic psychedelic chillout.

Recommended buy, yet not essential.

Favourites:

1, 2, 5 (!!), 7, 8, 10

Verdict:

7/10

Links:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk

Digital Mystery Tour: http://www.digital-mystery-tour.com

• 3 weeks later...

Digital Mystery Tour - D.M.T. Express

Posted Image

Hi-res cover: front + back

Artist: Digital Mystery Tour (France)

Title: D.M.T. Express

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Sofa Beats (Denmark)

Cat. #: SOFA BEATS CD 01

Distribution: twohandsdistribution.com

Date: 12 September 2005

Track listing:

01. 04’56” D.M.T. Express

02. 07’56” Rue Des Roses

03. 06’21” Caraibo Grove

04. 06’24” Voodoo Love

05. 04’45” Hikari Land

06. 05’58” Kia (Toirés Remix)

07. 07’24” Dematerializer

08. 04’03” Pneumatic Bleeps

09. 05’59” Spirit Of The Deep

10. 06’15” Sleeping Among Trees

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/9fgh8 (all tracks!)

Review:

Holweck hauling ass…

Sofa Beats is a new downbeat sub label to Danish power house label Iboga Records. As the first release comes the second album from Digital Mystery Tour, which is a French downbeat collective spear headed by goa trance legend Stephane Holweck (Total Eclipse, early Juno Reactor, M.O.T.Y., etc). In D.M.T. Holweck is joined by a number of collaborators including Florian Seriot (Toirés, Asia 2001) and other notable chill/trance big-shots… D.M.T.’s self-titled debut album was released on Twisted Records in 2001 to much critical acclaim, so the expectations for this follow-up have been huge… Let’s find out if they were met…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: D.M.T. Express

Holweck starts the journey with a deep, dubby and melodic downbeat piece… Lazy beats, slow pace and distinct floating melodies… The kazoo-like lead took me a while to get used too, but I’ve actually come to like it… It’s the DMT theme! A nice track, though too short…

#02: Rue Des Roses

We continue the journey down the pink street… Which is apparently located somewhere in Asia – this is ethno-chill reminiscent of Kaya Project or Asura… Beautiful, soothing, virtually beatless ambient focussed on acoustic guitars and long floating, organic pads and harmonic voice-samples… Very dreamy, and very nice! Stunning track!

#03: Caraibo Grove

AFAIK Club Caraibo is a club somewhere in France… The name comes from an early Berlioz composition… Anyway, this is digital space chill – still maintaining the ethno-tribal feel from the previous tracks… The pace has quickened and in general the rhythm-section here is very lively – sudden burst of energy are always welcome, and I really like the ever-changing nature of this track… Groovy!

#04: Voodoo Love

This is the first track where Holweck is joined by the rest of the DMT collective… And boy, things are really happening now… The pace is increased a great deal, and this is evidently dance music – albeit chilled dance music… Tribal drums, groovy pads and even saxophone! The Juno Reactor-link is apparent, but I’m not sure how much I like the comic, carnival bits – and the voice samples aren’t exactly helping… But that doesn’t ruin an otherwise interesting, unique track…

#05: Hikari Land

Holweck is joined by Guillaume Thevenin on guitars on this magnificent track… We’re still in the faster end of the downbeat scale… The ethno-touch is back - complete with chanting, Raja-flute and all kinds of funky FX… I hate to compare this to Shpongle, but that’s about the best description I can come up with… A very nice, uplifting track…

#06: Toirés - Kia (Toirés Remix)

This is Florian Seriot (Toirés) remixing on of his older tracks from the 1999 album Oued… And oh my, this is an amazing track… Rich, subtle, world-music – perfected by Florian… Reminds me a great deal off Asura and other French chill-masters… The vocal work in this track is simple amazing – shivering even! Beautiful!

#07: Dematerializer

“Welcome to the […] 2003! It’s hot here! … We’ve got a special download for you that is irresistible. Free trial versions are available at dmt-dot-com-slash-download-slash-kissmeplease-slash-stopit!” Holweck is joined by Michio Baba on this track with the weird robotized voice-sample and the bleak, metallic atmosphere… Cold and kinda static, though with a certain appealing factor… It’s groovy and bubbly, but not really a stand-out track…

#08: Pneumatic Bleeps

Holweck is on his own again on this aptly named track… Yeah, this is exactly how I’d imagine pneumatic bleeps to sound… This track is built around a dubby foundation, with cut-up beats and breakz sprinkled on top… Add some synth experimentation and you’re pretty much there… Interesting, but not nearly as good as some of the previous tracks…

#09: Spirit Of The Deep

Holweck is joined by someone named Florian Leniaud on this track… Deep being the operative word here, this is gloomy, deep ambient… Beatless for the most part, and hugely atmospheric… Reminds me of Ishq, though this is slightly darker… Nice track!

#10: Sleeping Among Trees

Holweck puts this baby to sleep on his own continuing the dark ambient feel from the previous track… Eerie, outer worldly digital and harmonic sounds make sure you don’t get any sleep among those trees… Spooky, but nice!

This is definitely a fine album – and it’s nice to see that an acclaimed veteran like Holweck still can compete on such a high level… He sure hasn’t lost his touch, and a solid half of these tracks are really, really good… There are no bad tracks here, but some of them don’t really do that much for me… Journey-wise this album also works pretty well – peaking towards the middle…

The artwork is very… Errmm…Orange! And that’s all I have to say about that! Anyway, this is not the best downbeat album I’ve heard this year, but the stand-out tracks are indeed excellent and validate a purchase! This should appeal to most fans of chill, ambient and experimental downbeat… Enjoy!

Favourites: 2(!!), 3, 5(!), 6(!!), 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk

D.M.T.: http://www.digital-mystery-tour.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/516904

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/bf5x2

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/bxzzz

Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/7pty3

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/aedm6

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/8x5os

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/azw4y

Cisco: http://tinyurl.com/8ep6c

i wouldnt go reviewing as already DP has done an extensive one :) but just thoughts...

This album is quite good, and much better then average ambient albums, but it didnt live up to my expectations.

I couldnt see much originality and maybe some sounded less psychedelic than I expected... at least from a guy like Holweck.

It certainly has its moods, maybe it didnt suit mine right now

I hate to say this but the first album was better (i really hate saying this)

All I can say is it gets groovy and it gets happy/fluffy but not OTT kinda fluffy, the highlight of the album for me is Hikari Land.

I d give it a 7/10

Good album!

I almost completely agree with Pr0fane's review, my favourites being 2, 3, 5 (most outstanding one) and 7.

WTF is up with that sample indeed? I really think it ruins the beginning and the end of the track and I would definitely mix that part out. Annoying to see the least, which is augmented by the fact that I can't figure out whether its meant to be funny (which it isnt!) or whether there really ís a download at ... ah wait, ima go check that out RIGHT NOW. ok, that one doesnt exist. would've been unfair of me to not give it a chance ;)

Note? 7,5/10 something. Especially since there's not been that many special ambient-releases out this year, me thinks...