Etic - Feedback

DeathPosture

Etic - Feedback

Posted Image

Hi-res cover: front + back

Artist: Etic (Israel)

Title: Feedback

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Trancelucent Productions (Israel)

Cat. #: TPCDIL-013

Distribution: Boa Distribution

Date: June 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’10” Got My Senses Back

02. 07’54” Wishes

03. 07’54” Last Tune

04. 07’25” Electrical Inspiration

05. 07’32” Untitled Yet

06. 08’29” Miscommunication

07. 08’08” Aspects Of Music

08. 08’12” Feedback

09. 07’43” Late Echoes Of Goa

10. 07’23” R U Cool

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/d3tky (all tracks!)

Review:

Hybrid grooves pt. II

Trancelucent Productions from Israel is out with their 13th release – this time the second album by Israeli producer Etay Harari who really took me by surprise with his very nice debut album Touch Ups released in 2004… That album was a groovy hybrid of smooth progressive trance and full-on’ish nite-music… So yeah, I’m looking forward to find out what Etay has cooked up for us this time…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Got My Senses Back [138 BPM]

We’re two seconds into the intro and already the groove is dripping down the walls… Oh yes, this is exactly what I like about Etic’s sound – a deep, phat, progressive rhythm section riddled with melodic elements… I’m a sucker for the infamous reverb-effect, and Etay uses that very wisely here… The breaks are very well executed too… The Reservoir Dogs samples aren’t too original, but they bring humour into the mix… All in all, this is a nice track – kinda laid back, but very bouncy at the same time… Tasty!

#02: Wishes [140 BPM]

Another hybrid between progressive and melodic here… We start out with rhythm-driven intro with some ahh-ahh female vocals – and long, organic, melodic pads in the background to set the mood… The main attraction here is the beautiful joint venture between kick and melody – they go hand in hand beautifully… And damn, that rhythm section is so fucking crisp here… Another gorgeous melody is introduced halfway through – it all sounds very fine and dandy, but I’m afraid it gets just a little too clubby for my taste… Just a little though – this is still a fine track…

#03: Last Tune [138 BPM]

We’re leaning more towards the progressive side now… The kicks are harder and the rhythms are less well-polished… But, it’s still very much Etic, so the melodic pads are still very much present in the background… Oh yes, this is smooth, funky progressive trance with a melodic lead… Perfect for the dancefloor – this would fit in perfectly in most progressive sets… Very nice!

#04: Electrical Inspiration [140 BPM]

“No, I’m a true believer that we must go back to those original inspirations…” And we’re digging even deeper into smooth progressive trance now – with the ever-so-important melodic leads to carry us through to enlightenment… Again this is soaked in reverb – add a tribal rhythm section to the mix and we’ve got another winner… A trademark Etic track – in all its glory!

#05: Untitled Yet [140 BPM]

The intro is comprised of undecipherable, cut-up voice samples revolving around a blunt kick… But after a while the real kick is introduced – a bit faster now, and more night-time friendly… Sadly this track also lacks a little soul and doesn’t really do as much for me as most of the previous ones did… Good, but not great…

#06: Miscommunication [141 BPM]

Well, I guess it was inevitable – after all, this is Etic from Israel… Whilst the previous tracks were mostly progressive trance, this is leaning more towards full-blown full-on… The energy level has been increased, the kick is stiff, the voice samples are heavily vocoded and the break is very full-on’ish in nature… For sure not the worst full-on I’ve heard – but I still prefer Etay’s progressive stuff over this…

#07: Aspects Of Music [140 BPM]

We continue down a side path here – but this is much better… We’re leaning back towards rich, deep progressive trance – with full-on elements… This is like the perfect hybrid – and yeah, combining two important aspects of music… Ultra-smooth and funky – but still with enough pace to keep the dancefloor muppets rocking… Look out for the long, thrilling break here – drop that on the dancefloor and watch the crowd go ballistic… What a brilliant track!

#08: Feedback [138 BPM]

On this title track we’re back on progressive soil… Another Etic trademark use of the reverb-feedback effect – beautifully executed… Tension is building throughout this track which will work great both as home listening and on the trancefloor… Just listen to high-pitched guitar-feedback – rock n roooooll! Yeah – this is what it’s all about… Phat, groovy and very, very funky… Kick-ass track!

#09: Late Echoes Of Goa

Etay spent a lot of time in Goa since his last album and I guess this is him paying homage… This is a downtempo track though – with Etay’s distinct sound… Yeah, you can hear elements from the rest of the album here – stripped down and chilled out… I like the last half of this track the best – very nice downtempo stuff…

#10: R U Cool [138 BPM]

Why this last ‘bonus-track’is placed after the previous downbeat track is beyond me… Anyway, this is the odd-ball track – just as the last track on Touch Ups, this is Etay goofing around his studio… We start out with an evil laugh from hell and soon we’re introduced to an unusual rhythm-section – breakz and cut-up beats… Jungle with psy-elements… More samples from Reservoir Dogs and we even get the Etay reverb bit again… A nice track for sure, but I think I would have preferred another progressive track over this experimental tune… Oh, and watch out for the hidden blurb hiding 1’30 minutes after the music stops…Freaky!

While Touch Ups was a very big, positive surprise to me, with Feedback I kinda knew what to expect… And my expectations were higher accordingly… I’m happy to say, that for the most part, they were met… This is a good album – and the best thing Trancelucent has released since the Misted Muppet album last year… With only a couple of exceptions, I like most tracks here… Etay masters both progressive and full-on, but obviously I like the progressive efforts the best – and by the volume of output, it seems Etay likes progressive the best too – and he’s not forgetting his Israeli heritage…

I see it as a very mature album – bereft of the most obvious pitfalls and Etay really manages to put a melodic spin on progressive trance – and for the most part, he creates one fine hybrid after the other… Well done! There seems to be a general consensus about the cover-art being really cool here – but I have to disagree… The color-scheme is ok, but those digital chicks with sun-glasses? Come on!? Anyway, don’t let the cover fool you – this is high-quality tunage… Recommended to fans of groovy, progressive trance with rich melodic influences… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3, 4, 7(!), 8(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Trancelucent Productions: http://www.trancelucent.com

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/9u45z

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/cpvhd

Krembo: http://tinyurl.com/7ufmo

PsySale: http://tinyurl.com/74y2k

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/aqayj

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/dte46

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/9fhoy

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I find that Etic has really improved his production skills since Touch Ups.

The sound has evoluated more groovy-full on( like some Com.pact & moonstone stuffs) instead of pure groove.

The cover too has benefited of a decent cover compared to his first album.

Otherwise, the music results pleasant to listen, but with nothing special that makes you say 'Whaou!", nothing brainblasting or revolutionary.

All the tracks are enjoyable, i don't have special favorites on Feedback.

6,5/10

I like this one a lot... very subtile fullon with progressive elements...

just surfing on the sounds wit a continue level of high intilligent psy sounds...

8/10... one of the greatest releases in 2005 until now...

• 6 months later...

I'd say this is an album designed for home listening when you're in the mood for smooth, quality progressive trance. Listening to it intense from one end to another, on the other hand, might be a little troublesome. Don't get me wrong. All tracks have something to say and I hear no fillers, but over the length of an album it can become a little flat.

Fortunately, there are a couple of absolutely outstanding tracks too. To me far & away the best track here is track 2 Wishes. When the lead melody kicks in at 3:25 after a long and strong build-up everything turns perfect. Whow, I'm just floating away with the owly lead sound. Pure bliss! Got my senses back, Electrical inspiration, and Miscommunication are also quite enjoyable and should definitely set the dance floor sparking.

Then again, I might change my mind altogether of what tracks I like if I heard this at the right time at night. The general feel here is somewhat dark, and what may come across as flat at home might come across as deep trance at night if I manage to get onboard the wagon. If you're into progressive, anyway, you wanna give this a shot. It certainly is well produced.

• 1 month later...