I'm thinking of buying a Synth

Basically my granddad is giving me lots of money because I just graduated and I'm going to university this fall. So I gave it alot of thought and figured that a synth would be the best way to spend that money. :)

I think I will get around €500 because that's what my brother and sister got when they graduated. Maybe I shouldn't spend all of it on a synth and maybe I should. Your job will be to tell me about my options, because I have no idea what-so-ever about synths. I know a little about guitars etc. and I've seen synths lying around when I ventured the guitar stores, but I've never given it much consideration since I've always seen myself a s a guitar person. then I started listening to (and later also producing) psytrance and now it's time for a synth. :P (plus my mom really likes me to learn how to play the piano, so she'll be happy too)

Anyway, any tips on good synths around the price range of €500 would be nice. Don't be shy :) Any tips on good sites where I can read more about synths would also be nice. So far I know NOTHING, so all tips are nice. :P Also, feel free to ask me if there's anything else you want to know about the kind of synth I want.

I don't know about the Nord Lead 2... But that new Virus looks very delicous... But seriously bro, 500 euros on a synth? i feel thats a bit of a risky investment in a hobby or life aspiration, whatever it might be for you. But, if you if really really want it...

I don't know about the Nord Lead 2... But  that new Virus looks very delicous... But seriously bro, 500 euros on a synth? i feel thats a bit of a risky investment in a hobby or life aspiration, whatever it might be for you. But, if you if really really want it...

298625[/snapback]

I don't really have to spend all the money on it, I just wanted to let you know my limits. :) Does anyone have some more tips or know a place where I can read more about synths in general? I mean, I don't even know what to look for. Maybe I should buy a little cheaper synth first so I get some feeling as to how the quality may feel. :P Or just go try some out, but I don't really know how to do that either.

sound on sound has the best reviews for synths and you can search their site for synths.

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/

just buy a good used synth with that money, even if you dont like it you can problem sell it for what you buy it for. I just sold 3 synths that cost me a total of $1200 to buy and i sold them for a total of $1150. A good used synth holds its value nicely.

If you want to make full on get a nord lead 2. The virus B would be in your price range and have tons of presets ready to go. If you want to sound different check out the nord modular 1, waldorf micro q.

The Yamaha An1x is a nice synth in the pricerange you mentioned, the one I have cost about 300 euro or so. Though the an1x is nice and some others in this range, If you want the real good and/or modern stuff you will need to spend some more money.

If you want a master control, with a decent sound engine, a nice software editor etc, then the an1x imo is great.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/an1x.shtml

pb is the good synths cost about 1200$

u could get a used nord lead for about 600$ though...

but my advice would be to invest in a good sound card or monitors.. if u don't have those already..

u can do a lot with vsts these days.. and i don't think u need a synth...

(i have a nord lead btw)