how i make (dance) bass?

Hi psy Producers!!!I have few questions about producing music!!! I have try to make full-on bass (i want make verry dance bass, because i want to make melodic trax like protoculture,silicon sound,silent sphere etc...) but i have verry big problem with my notes on key editor (cubase sx) or piano roll (fruity loops)!!!

i wont to make bass like protoculture (if anyone heard the track "refracrions") or bass like silent sphere or sub6 etc.....and i DONT KNOW how can i make that (i mean with notes)!!!for example i write in KEY EDITOR (cubase SX) "K" is the KICK and "B" is the BASS

K K K K

BBB BBB BBB BBB

but my bass sounds like dark psy trance (kindzadza,parasense,fungus funk) and I DONT WANTED!!!

question:

How can i write the notes to sound my bass verry dancing?

Is it a trick to play with velocity, volume(per note),cut or something like that?

IF ANYONE HAVE LISTEN ANY TRAX Of this will be understend me:

protoculture:refractions,silent sphere:moving,silent sphere:dreamer,astrix:underbeat,astrix&dimitri:evox,protoculture:digital world,the commercial hippies:not human,silicon sound:analog device,astrix:techno windows,Wrecked Machines Vs Panick:Spotless Mind,etc...

AND SOME MORE MELODIC Basses:

altom:regulate,wrecked machines:rubberneck,Wrecked Machines Vs Gms Vs Pixel:A Team,Wrecked Machines Vs. Pixel Vs. Domestic:Trancespotting,etc...

Please help me...I realy want big help!!!

THANX GUYS!!!

and keep the psy vibe alive...

You should try to raise every center bass note one octave. For example:

KbBb KbBb KbBb KbBb - where "b" stands for the deep note, and "B" for the note one octave higher.

By doing this you will get a more melodic bassline, but you also get the deep notes needed for the low frequencies. If you want more melody, you can then add some notes in the octave of the higher note instead of the deep ones.

Ah, I just found something I wrote a while back, maybe it helps you:

""Some Settings for Audiorealism Bassline:

Cutoff --> depends on the tune. If youre going for some ultra deep dark psy, or just want to have something providing only the lowest frequencies, you should drag it down to ultra low. If you are going for "brighter" stuff, try values from 30% to 50% ... in general everything above 50% is in my opinion too high and will most likely interfere with the rest of your tune. 37% turned out to be the best value for me.

Tuning --> Set it to lowest, you can do the detuning in the sequencer anyway.

Envmod --> Again depends on the tune, but if you think your bass is too dull, play with this value, a higher Envmod will usually make your bass sound more accentuated. If you’re not working with audiorealism bassline: this one basically controls the attack and decay of the note. In another synth, you can achieve this effect by turning down the attack and decay values of the envelope.

Decay --> goes closely together with envmod. A long decay setting will be useful for longer bass notes sliding into each other, whereas a typical full-on bassline should have a very low decay.

Attack --> IMO a bad setting, you should rather leave this alone, at least for basslines. Same with distortion.

Ok, some settings I suggest for a full-on bassline:

Cutoff: ~35%, Detuning: 0% (lowest), Envmod: 50%, Decay: 0%

Well, these are usually my settings when I want to make Psy basslines. As said, it depends whether you are aiming for a darker bass sound or not, but usually I found Octave 3 to work quite well.

The note progression and length is also quite important in Psy. You have to look upon your bassline in two parts: basic notes, usually a tonic note, that is repeated very often, and “melodic” notes, that are not necessary but will eventually provide some kind of melody, often seen in Full-On. In Dark Psy, the bass is usually extremely deep with an extremely low cutoff and it often consists of simply the basic note repeated every 1/16th. Eventually there are some semitone steps here and there, but you get the basic idea. Now, whereas the basic notes are usually very short (I recommend 1/32 note lengths), there can be some notes held for a bit longer, usually at the off-beat, meaning at the 3th note each bar.

Now the brighter full-on bass consists of more “melodic” notes, like I mentioned. Here your ears are important again where to put the melodic notes, just listening to your favourite tunes and analyzing the bass note progression will help you a lot.

If you want a richer bass, try spanning 2 octaves with your bassline, for example C3-C4-C3 , the deep ones will provide the subfrequencies, whereas the high will contribute the higher tone carrying frequencies, I will get more into detail about the frequencies later on.

There are many other ways to create a good bassline, one of them being a simple offbeat-bass, good for stomping tunes. Or let your bass “roll” by increasing the decay, whatever sounds good is allowed. ""

Now when trying a bit I got this note progression just as example: I know its a bit darker but should in general be what you want.

G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-G#3

G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-G2---G2-G3-E3

The "G2" notes have a lenght of 1/32, the rest of 1/16

Envmod is set to 70%, decay to 37%

Hi d_vision,

i listend to some of the exanples on psy shop, and came to the conclusion that all the basses and percussion tracks are shuffeld, ie they have a swinging quantize. mabe that is what you meant.

to achive this: (in sx)

1. open dropdown menu "midi"

2. choose "edit quantize"

3. use 1/16 type: straight

4. add swing somewhere in the region between 25% to 50%

then re-quantise all pecussion and bass traxx., and bobs your unkle.

ps. a tip is for faster traxx use less swing than for slower ones.

hope this helps.

Oh, and I forgot, its all about kick and bass working together. Note length and velocity are very important in order to make a bassline perfectly filling the "gaps" between the kick. It's quite a science and I dont really know how to do it so far. i usually do it by ear, what sounds good to me is what I use.

Philter: I have heard very few psytrance songs with shuffle... And no single full-on track with shuffle.

or have i misunderstood something? Atleast i thought shuffle is the same as triplets. I.e 50 % shuffle is a mix between straight and triplet.

you are ofcourse right shuffel is somewhere between tripplets and straight, although not equal to tripplets. and haveing listend to some of the examples again, and importing them into cubase i have found that the only track (from the ones ive heard) using shuffel is: Silent Sphere - Moving (aprox 15%).........

so my appologies...ill just go and eat a rotten egg......

hope that helps (me) :blink:

Thank you guys VERRY MUCH!!!

You are the best!!!

I Appreciate It!!!!

You help me verry much...

Keep the psy vibe ALIVE!!!

cu....