BPM Lists?

Guest [tom jaimz]

I am completely pro-BPM.

If anyone starts up a BPM list, I'll contribute.

I am happy to provide the BPMs for most the music I own.

I'll even do requests.

I can't possibly understand why any half-decent DJ would not want to know the BPMs of their tracks, other than pure laziness.

Guest AtomicCow

Just do your own. There are thousands of psy (and millions of others) tracks out there and I just don't see a way for any BPM list to be nearly comprehensive enough. Just get a bpm counter proggie and go through your collection and place sticky notes on each cd with bpm's for each track.

hey ! yours answers are very usefull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it exist a web site with BPM for old goa tracks...I will tell you as soon I have found it.

Guest PsYoNic

looks like you guys are all "pioneer dj mixers"....what's the fun in mixing if you can't search for the right speed yourself? Get your dj act together and practice a lot. F.U.C.K the bpm counters on mixers and cdjs!!

Whats the big deal about asking for BPMs.....come on......dont start issues where they dont exist.

Get BPM studio if you wish to get your musics bpms.

quoting tom jaimz: I can't possibly understand why any half-decent DJ would not want to know the BPMs of their tracks, other than pure laziness.

===

that is a laugh. how is it lazy to actually work with your ear and gain a deeper understanding of a song through having a sense at the speed of it? DJing shouldn't be anything like arithmetic... i would say that those that mix with BPMs are the lazy ones - not using the skills you have available, not troubling to actually bother to do what any proper DJ does. you're not supposed to consult a list nor calculate the pitch shifts while you're spinning those records - you're supposed to be feeling the vibe of it all and carefully selecting the next track to weave into your storytelling. does the music not have a soul?

use BPMs if you will... but don't make comments such as what you have said - you are obviously misguided or perhaps we all misunderstand. perhaps music doesn't mean the same thing to you... is it a joke? or a science? or something from the heart?

Its not for beat-matching. It so you know not to pull a song out of your cd case that is 137 when your playing at 147,, too much adjustment ruins a song.

You guys need to calm down. Im not asking you to freaking make me a list.

i asked a simple question, I get like 15 responses , and only one guy actually answers.

THANKS tbe!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Astiocles

quoting tom jaimz: I can't possibly understand why any half-decent DJ would not want to know the BPMs of their tracks, other than pure laziness.

===

I think Tom was referring to the fact that the dj was too lazy to actually sit down for a minute and count the bpm.

Dieznyik, knowing the bpm of a track has nothing to do with using a mixer with a bpm counter. In fact, a dj that doesn't know the bpms would need that style of mixer far more than a dj who does. I keep track of all the bpms of my tracks because it makes in much easier to match up beats. If the track that you're currently playing is 138, and you've pitched it up +1, and the track you want to mix in is 140 normally you automatically know that the slider has to be pitched down further than +1. You still have to listen to the music to match it up properly, but at least you have a good idea where to start. Knowing the bpms means that you can spend more time reading the crowd and selecting tracks, because you're spending less time matching up beats. Of course, the bpm of a track shouldn't be the determining factor when choosing to play a track. There are a lot of other factors involved, but I still can't see how being smart could be called cheating.

Astiocles

Yeah - what on Earth is wrong with having bpm's available - I don't really dj, but I can't see any harm in having access to that kind of info before beginning a set. You'd want the length of the track too, and perhaps the time of the first and last beat if you're working from cd. I have been to a home party where the guy dj-ing used only two portable cd players and a mixer to play - no pitch change and no fancy kit. He just dropped tunes over at the appropriate moment when the beats were not present - and kept tempo consistent ... by knowing bpms in advance. And it sounded great !!!!

bomble

Guest bugbread

Um...knowledge is not an enemy. Knowing BPMs does not ruin a set. If you're a pro DJ and have lots of experience, sure, you can just "feel it through naturally". But until you get there, having BPMs to use as a rule of thumb (hmm...these two tracks, way too far apart. Ah, this one might go well, though) seems like...well...a good thing. I'd rather hear a non-pro DJ play well mixed tracks using math than hear him or her play a horrible beatskipping mix because they refuse to use knowledge.

will you ever get that knowledge if you always rely on them? thats what i'd want to know.

personally i don't have to consult a list. i think in my head, i visualize, i get a sense for what's next... and it just flows. when you spend time with your record collection you'll probably realize what is quick and what is slow... maybe it'll take you longer but won't you end up more skilled?

Guest OAkenfuck

Well, I DJ only a couple hours a week for fun at home. And I dont listen to the music I spin that much at all unles I dj. So BPM would be helpful.

Sorry we are not all pro DJs dude were not all into it as much as you..