BPM Lists?

Guest Elysium Project

I suggest some of you get some more experience on the DJ front...

Yes it is nice to beatmix and it indeed kick off the dancers but if you do not understand that it has all to do with the music and reading the atmosphere in the party you have failed out big time as a DJ. Forget the bpm talk - and start to concentrate on creating the right journey for the dancing people. It's easy to beatmix - everyone can learn it - but not all have the tallent to communicate with people on the dancefloor....

well said ep....

lets say that u have the duty of making the connection between the people and trance...then if u do a good job playing the maracas near the microphone...dont feell bad, those r ur own weapons and its ur own way....

or maybe im too stoned and went far from the topic....

Guest samsara

well i wasn't trying to be mean or anything...

but in my experience...ive been spinning for 4-5 years now (which isn't that long but ive learned a thing or two)...

1)you dont need BPM's to figure out which one is 137bpm and which track is 147bpm...its gonna be obvious..

2) bpms will only hold you back...its a crutch, and im speaking from experience. I used to gather bpm lists (go to electrobionics and i think chaishop but its been awhile) but when i started playing by ear and going with the flow it worked...dj'ing is should be beautiful not mathematical...

3) in front of a crowd you dont want to be digging through sheets, and honestly i wouldn't be caught dead with bpms listed on my sleaves or tracks...im not sure where you guys are from but im in canada...goa and psy trance is not excepted here and us dj's get a hard time as it is for the music we play, the lack of long epic mixes and the lack of technical tricks...when some jungle,breaks or house dj watches you calculating pitch speeds with a calculater your gonna be the laughing stock...

anyways...this isn't meant to be mean only encourage you to take the long hard road which will take longer to get used to but you will be a much better dj in the end for doing in...

only my 2cents...

Sam