2. Icecream-FREQ

3. Fake-SYMPHONIX VS MAGICAL

4. Electric problem-ECHOTEK

5. The Fly Flap-SHIVA CHANDRA

6. Funny fresh-FUSI AND JOHNSON

7. Jijou-SENSIFEEL

8. Killing feel-XIBALBA

9. Endless cycle -GAUDIUM

This VA was compiled by Montagu&Golkonda, a very well known progpsy DJ duo and also Festival organizers (Tshitraka) from northern Germany. If you ever heard one of their sets, you know what to expect here, typical open air "oompa-oompa" trance with the offbeat baseline executed in all styles and variations.

I wish I wouldnt have made the bold claim that israeli prog is lacking something compared to european prog. last week, because here Echotek disprove my point by providing the standout track. It reminds me a lot of theproggy tracks in Lishs new album, in other words expect a tough progressive grovve with lucious synths and tweaking. Areal blaster. I wish Echotek would make more of these tracks, because his recent album was way too fast for my taste.

The fusi& Johnson track is also one of the better ones, at first it seems pretty standard stuff, but then after a few listens the synths and sounds grow on you and you really cant get it out of you head. Very well done.

Like all Symphonix tracks the one here, Fake, is also a "slow grower", because like always the symphonix show they can create memorable effortless soundscapes with just a few sounds and samples. My only problem with their tracks is always the lower end, it seems they always use the same stomping oompa-oompa baselines, and those get boring really fast. Now their tracks are good, but with more finesse on the lower end they could be something very special.

Another track that stands out is Xibalba-Killing Feel, a groving pumping track with a galopping beat and with a Kill Bill sample ("...I collect your fucking head") used to great effect. Pretty minmal compared to the other tracks here, but I can already picture the people stomping through the Dust this summer Xibalba has come with some great tracks lately, I saw them live a couple of weeks ago and they rocked, they have found their style and are a project to keep in mind.

Some of The other tracks are good as well, Gaudium and Sensifeel are groovy trance with housey pads, something that is nothing new but well done. SkiFi and Freq are agressive and pumping, I like the SkiFi track better, its good, but Freq provides one of the weakest tracks I have heard from him. Somehow it just doesnt work, even though it still has the trademark Freq sound.

The only real disappointment is Shiva Shandra, this guy appears to have lost his magic ever since Gecko. Subsonic and the auricular album "Time" were boring and didnt go nowwhere, all his tracks lately seem to be just audio trickery without a real flow o direction. Like in "The fly Flap", his baselines seem awkard and bump along, while a random assortment of sounds are added on top. Too bad, he used to be one of my favorite artists

In conclusion, Amarasya is good, but it is not the reinvention of the wheel. 1 real great track (4), 3 very good ones (2,6,8), 1 bad track (5)and the rest is good. It s a great CD for homelistening, all the tracks are pleasant and they get better the more you listen to them. One major flaw however is that most these tracks have standard boring baselines. Umpa-Umpa all the way, a little more finesse on the lower end would make everything a lot more interesting. But if you like progressive morning psy get this CD because you"ll like it. If you are looking for innovation, look somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I also prefer the Xibalba & Symphonix tracks.

Especially at the first coupple of spins.

Modern progressive with a subtle melodic touch to it.

Equally enjoyable at home, on the discman as on a dancefloor.

Both are coming to Belgium in October, be sure that I will be there!

First track is also nice, though i never heard of Ski fi before.

The Freq-track, hmmhhmmhhh: well...

Nice sample, though he sure can do a lot better. Some "magic tension" is missing.

& Shiva Chandra is an innovator, so it's sad to hear that he sounds so out-dated to me. Maybe the weakest track on this comp.

Come on Daniel, get yourself to a party somewhere & check out what's happening on dancefloors in 2005? You can do it!

• 3 weeks later...

Four magical, kickin' tracks on this compilation - that good that I bought that CD for "only" these tracks:

3. Fake-SYMPHONIX VS MAGICAL

4. Electric problem-ECHOTEK

6. Funny fresh-FUSI AND JOHNSON

9. Endless cycle -GAUDIUM

Deep driving kickin' proggi-tracks - perfect to waggle yr booty whilst your mind's hopping through some paralleelworlds :rolleyes: !