Old Skool Goa Trance CD Sale!

AdzOm

Now accusing some one for selling pirated bootlegs are not the way to do things. BUT it is a fact that many many CD's sold on ebay are indeed bootlegs.  Bootleg CD's is a huge industry these days. And have been for many years!  And it's almost impossible to see the difference on the covers (if you can at all).  The music is indeed a 1:1 copy directly from the originals so it's impossible to hear the difference.

Now I wont go so far to accuse anyone here but if you haven't bought those CD's yourself in an actual physical recordshop at the time they got released 8+ years ago then there's no way for you to know if they are the real deal or indeed fake's.  That does not mean all people are in bad faith when they sell their "rare" releases.  Most dont even know they have a bootleg!

239769[/snapback]

This is true for larger artists - I have a very extensiev Björk collection and she's one of the more frequently bootlegged artists out there. So I've seen my fair share of fakes, and own a few as well. BUT - with CD-Rs, there is still (to my knowledge) no way of changing the inner ring design (catalogue number or whatever). So eevn if you have CDRs that look perfectly "silver" on the data surface, you need to print CDs the professional way in order to fool us die-hardcollectors. And that costs money. In fact, I would be very very surprised if anyone bothered bootlegging Psysex etc... Now I.F.O. could perhaps be worth the effort - BUT then you'd have like 500 or moer bootlegs floating around, and to sell those at a slow enough rate to avoid suspicion would take ages. And I can tell you with great certainty that there are no large numbers of these appearing anywhere.

Also, as someone who's worked with print design and studied advertising etc, I look very very carefully at artwork. I can assure you that unless the bootlegger has access to the original artwork, I can tell the difference.

And, as I said before, I have never come across a goa trance bootleg. I'm still not saying there aren't any in existence, I'm just saying it would be very unlikely that such a small genre as this would be targetted by bootleggers.

Guest .::E.P

Also, as someone who's worked with print design and studied advertising etc, I look very very carefully at artwork. I can assure you that unless the bootlegger has access to the original artwork, I can tell the difference.

239796[/snapback]

Yes you do and I do too (I work as a freelance designer too). But the majority of "normal" non-geeks like us that buy a CD simply wouldn't know the difference. Now I dont know where you have your information from but from my experince there's deffinenty some bootlegging going on in even our own little scene. Both badly designed bootlegs but also very professional ones. I have seen my share while visiting various record shops / second hand shops in different countries when i played there and even bought a few quite very good designed ones. They sure fooled me for a while. Especially Juno reactor's "Transmissions" on CD which I bought in Japan in a second hand shop. The only difference is that there's a mistake on the barcode where the digit "1" on the right side is missing. That's the only difference from the original.. The rest is an exact copy in the same quality - also the print on the actual CD. So tell me would a "normal" non-geek ever see that? I doubt it.

Yes you do and I do too (I work as a freelance designer too).  But the majority of "normal" non-geeks like us that buy a CD simply wouldn't know the difference.  Now I dont know where you have your information from but from my experince there's deffinenty some bootlegging going on in even our own little scene.  Both badly designed bootlegs but also very professional ones. I have seen my share while visiting various record shops / second hand shops in different countries when i played there and even bought a few quite very good designed ones. They sure fooled me for a while.  Especially Juno reactor's "Transmissions" on CD which I bought in Japan in a second hand shop. The only difference is that there's a mistake on the barcode where the digit "1" on the right side is missing.  That's the only difference from the original.. The rest is an exact copy in the same quality - also the print on the actual CD.  So tell me would a "normal" non-geek ever see that?  I doubt it.

239801[/snapback]

True, that would be extremely hard to spot. But then there are similar errors on REAL CDs - this and this both exist with and without barcodes, and they're both legitimate. I've had both versions at once and compared, they were pressed at the same plant and everything.

That Juno Reactor album is on a bigger label (novamute is huge compared to pretty much any "goa" label) and is a much bigger artist than most goa trance acts, so I can understand that someone made a bootleg of it - but pleiadians feels a bit less likely. Not impossibly, but just not likely.

Now I'm paranoid about my CDs being copies. :unsure::ph34r:

Like Juno Reactor - Luciana which I just ordered... what if it's a bootleg? Or my copy of IFO? Or Transmissions?

:ph34r: How can I tell? Tell me!