The Overlords

Cinos

I suppose every one of us knows the huge track "Sundown", and especially the Ionizer Remix of it, eh? Well, anyway, it's good!

Then we have the rest of their stuff. I don't like any of it. God's Eye is OK, but not much more.

What do you think?

Sundown is amazing, and there is a couple of tracks from around that time that is nice as well like "Organic".

But they haven't made a lot of tunes and "god's eye" is not all that.

But Ian has of course gone on to do many great tunes thruout the years and is one of the absolute top producers in this scene if you ask me.

Whoa, oh dear, hold on!

Gods Eye is just OKAY?? Gods Eye is not all that?!! :huh: If you mean Gods Eye on Goa you are freekin insane!, but I know there is more than one version so...

What version are you talking about? This song I'm talking about is called "Gods Eye on Goa,", and its almost 8 years old, and it was one of my most favorite goatrance songs ever when I first heard it in 1999 or 2000. Is the version you're talking about the opening track on the underrated Phonokol comp called Eternal Trance? If so, wow, I disagree with you. That song is a classic, and I can see if you prefer Sundown over it. Sundown ROCKS!!!

The only shitty songs on that comp are the crappy-clubby, (not even psytrance) repetitive ones by some guy named Ramirez. I fucking HATE those last three songs! But anyway, *back to being on topic* ;)

The Eternal Trance comps is where I first heard The Overlords; tracks such as Gods Eye on Goa and Sundown. Sundown is a great song, but it loses some of its steam toward the end because it keeps repeating those layered beats and melody that sounded so great through out the first half; it becomes a bit tiresome I felt, but regardless, it starts out awesome, has a nice space in the middle before taking off yet again. Gods Eye on Goa isn't as climactic as Sowndown obviously, but the goatrance version has melodies so cool, catchy, hypnotic, and beauitiful sounding.

Have The Overlords ever made any other good or great songs? It seems that they haven't. They've only made two goatrance songs that I'd classify as great that I've actually heard, and then they disappeared it seems. After hearing their two songs on Eternal Trance, I hunted their stuff down and found out they had one main album, but it was like pop/rock sounding! What the hell?!?!?! and the Gods Eye song on their main album wasn't anything like the Goatrance one on the Eternal Trance comp. Actually, I think it was just called Gods Eye, not Gods Eye on Goa on their main album.

I never heard Organic, and the Sundown Ionizer Remix really kicks ass!!! Man, I wish they released a main goatrance album with all tracks as good as those. It seems those tracks were random fluke masterpieces. Either that or those were their only great ideas for goatrance songs that they could think of and release. I think they could have been amazing if they released a main goatrance album back then; 8 or 9 tracks as grand as the few I've heard. That would have been AWESOME!!! But things truly AWESOME (Excellent) seldom happen.

Below are the links to the only two comps I know of their goatrance songs existing. You can hear part of SUNDOWN IONIZED REMIX at the second link. Damn that sounds sooooo great! :)

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pho/pho1cd103.html

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ntd/ntd2cd427.html

But seriously, I like talking about Overlords few great things I know of, and hopefully someone can give more information on other good stuff by them and their status (are they still making music, will they ever do goatrance again? probably not...) but besides that, and I guess hearing what people thought of Sundown for whatever reason, whats the point making a thread on Overlords? They're one of those many groups that made several really good and great songs and then never made anything really known or great again, at least not to my knowledge of them in this genra.

i like them. . i really liked their album when i first heard it, almost all of it. not the pop-sounding tunes. But i lost it and havent heard it for a long time. I bet it sounds quite dated, to the point u kinda lose interest. .

They're one of those many groups that made several really good and great songs and then never made anything really known or great again, at least not to my knowledge of them in this genra.

232784[/snapback]

Ian did his fair share of "know and great" songs thru the years and is still active, for sure you know what other projects he's been involved in.

I'm not sure what the other guy have been doing ltely, but Overlords is a very small part of at least of Ian's involvement in the trance scene.

And......god's eye is not a bad track, but it's more average than sundown and a lot of koxbox tracks in my ears.

I just found this. Didn't know they had an actual full album actually called "Organic," unless this is the pop one that I forgot the name of. I thought that was a track when someone mentioned it above, but it says 1991 so this can't be goa, probably some or the pop/rock album, but it has Sundown on it as the last track. Hmmm...

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000008J73/qid=1111348981/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-7483954-3175044

• 3 weeks later...

Organic is electronic, but not goa.

However, I've changed my mind about God's Eye... the version with the vocals is good! I have yet to get into the goa version. :)

I always thought that Overlords was a side project of a Kox Box member. Frank'e or Ian.Am I wrong?

240695[/snapback]

Not quite right. Overlords his first project. (Ian, that is)