I'm off to the US (Advise needed!)

DeathPosture

I'm travelling to the US on 24 January 2005 as part of my studies. It'll be my first time there, and despite my experiences with travels in Europe and my life-long upbringing with American movies and TV-shows, I still have a few questions that I'd like to get sorted before I venture off...

First and foremost: Cheap accommodation in New York (3-5 days)

Before doing anything "serious" we (nine marketing economist students) are going to hang out in New York for about 3-5 days. For this purpose we need to find some relatively cheap accommodation – like a hotel, hostel or whatever. As long as it’s not too expensive, and we’d prefer to be close to the city… Is that even possible? Tips, links, experiences, etc. would be much obliged.

YMCA is pretty cheap isn’t it – but also pretty basic? I’ve seen some pretty lousy hostels when I lived in London – they were too cheap, so I hope to find something nicer.

Secondly: What tourist-traps should I check out – and what else should I check out?

Whilst in New York I’d personally like to do the old tourist-thing and see the sights… Ground Zero, Times Square, Empire State Building, Fifth Avenue, etc. Hopefully all the big ones shouldn’t take too long, and I should have time to check out something else… I hear that Manhattan south of 14th street is more interesting for exploring – the same with Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Can anyone confirm this? Any recommendation of interesting stuff I should check out? Any record shops that sell hard-to-find CDs? Any magical restaurants? (I believe it’s Restaurant Week 2005 while we’re there…) Other funny/interesting stuff I absolutely have to check out? Again, pointers, hints, tips and experiences are much obliged…

After New York, I’m off to Athens, Ohio where I’ll be staying throughout February. Anything worth checking out in and around Ohio? I hear the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is pretty cool… How about the prison used for filming Shawshank Redemption – is that worth a visit? As you can tell, I’m pretty clueless… *sS* How is the psy-scene in and around Ohio – any parties around February next year?

Well, that’s it for now… I guess more questions will arise, but I don’t want to bore you with an endless post, so I’ll stop here…

Any help would be much appreciated… Thx in advance.

DeathPosture

I wouldn't miss the New York harbour if I were you, I fookin' love that place! There's one pretty cheap "Thai" Hotel right next to Time Square.. umm Central Park, Moma, Metropolitan.. there's one pretty cool dr jekyll mr hyde theme restaurant there too.. umm man there's so much in new york.. 5 days isn't enough, no way! i'm hopefully going there for 2-3 months this summer.. can't wait to get there again :)

You will have a great time in NYC...

as far as accomidations, you can check out craigslist.com. under sublets. Many people rent out their flats for a very good price. Williamsburg Bklyn (my hood) is very close to the city 1-4 stops to the east village, and there are some cheap accomidations there and you will still feel like your in the City... and Brooklyn is great!

Lounges - karma in the East Village on 1st ave is a hooka bar, very chill atmospheer and on Wed the play psytrance in the basement.

There are plenty of other pubs in the area too. There is a great dinner just up a few blocks that you can eat and drink after you party on Ave A and 7th called 7A.

If you like DnB/Jungle check out directdrive.net for the latest parties/lounge events they are great, laidback, and not expensive.

Touristy thing... my favorite is the midnight cruise around the city, drinks and amazing view of the city... its anywhere from 45min to an hour, but its a cool way to start of a night.

Eats - Silk Road (chinese food on the upper westside) cheap - great food and FREE all you can drink wine.

Hope this is a good start... Have fun, if you need more info let me know

peace Kido

• 2 weeks later...