01. The Last Dance

02. Shotgun

03. Vanity

04. All My Life

05. Smthng Scrd

06. Liquit Nite

07. How U Feel

08. Salt

Since the release of their debut album, Degua (Free Form Records), in 1999, Haldolium have established themselves at the forefront of German progressive artists. Their latest effort on the currently-surging Plusquam imprint has undoubtedly been one of the most awaited progressive releases for the latter half of 2004.

The music:

Always progressing towards new territory, Haldolium’s self-titled 4th album shrewdly blends elements of psychedelic trance, house, electro into a single package, oozing with melancholic groove. Some of the more energetic dancefloor moments are provided by the bass-heavy “Vanity” and “Liquit Nite” (almost reminiscent of a more melancholic “Priviliged” by Vision & Canedy), while the moody and atmospheric “The Last Dance” will serve as a perfectly-restrained warm-up or cool-down track. The deceptively sinister “All My Life” and understated “Smthng Scrd” add tasteful vocals to the mix for a whole new dimension. Normally, I’m not a huge fan of vocals in dance music, but they are done well enough in this album to not overshadow the otherwise wonderful music. The only negatives for me on this album are the final 2 tracks, the brooding “How U Feel” and the drawn-out mid-tempo track “Salt”. Not to say that they are bad tracks, but they just aren’t my style and sort of drag.

Overall:

Even in a year which has seen more than its share of excellent progressive trance albums, Haldolium have managed to craft a standout work with its own distinctive flavor. This is an album which really grew on me after each listen – the more you hear it, the more you will like it. Unlike most of the other progressive releases of 2004, this album excels in its ability to create and beautifully explore the melancholic mood through various levels of intensity. An album which will be not soon forgotten, Haldolium will definitely remain a mainstay both on dancefloors and in relaxed home listening sessions.

Overall rating: 8/10

Favorite tracks: 1!!, 3, 4, 5, 6!!

• 6 months later...

I really enjoyed this CD. It makes fine home listening, nice to dance, and quite relaxing at the same time. The lyrics, for the most part, only add to the music.

I enjoyed all the tracks (a rarity for me) but my preferred ones are - 2,3,4,5,8

I am waiting for more....

Pedro

• 10 months later...

This cd has been nearly on constant rerun on my boombox for a couple of days now. Not to much avail I'm afraid. I can't precisely put my finger on it, but the progressive style Haldolium is dwelling in just doesn't do it for me. I miss some, no, A LOT more stand-out peaks. This album doesn't fail miserably in any sense, but just tends to blend with the wall paper, and not a single tune here sets fire to the old bones. Even if opener The Last Dance and Vanity has some groovy intervals, Haldolium is somehow not able to capture my curiosity for very long.

They need credit though for their attempt at incorporating vox. Even if I don't think they succeed with bravour, this for sure must be a path we will see much more explored down the road. Maybe they would do better with a more interesting lead vocal? His vocal is - in the words of one Homer Simpson - BORING !

• 7 months later...