About the selected covers

Guest llazi

Let me say a word to the 2 selected covers :

The first : i think that cannot be described as a profesional made cover.

It just has a psy image in the background, in the middle a 3dmax text effect and it's done. You know what I mean. Overall no real idea behind it.

The second : It's very good. The elements fit together perfectly , but, sorry to say this, I think I have seen a similar one in a Drum'n'Bass Album, a music gerne that fits better to that cover.

At the end I don't think Children made a good choice. And again sorry to say it caus I appriciate a lot Childrens work here

Guest Protex Midget

what happened to the original cover which was chosen ( the pink one with the cool 3d objects)... that cover was awsome

Guest AgalactiA

I think the first cover is really nice

I dunno what u talking about - little work on it - but it sure looks like alot of fractals been used and some other fx which makes this one the best ! :)

Guest theorem

right. well, I can't argue with your opinion ilazi, but I can say that more effort did go into it than you have given credit. While I agree that it is a little short on "design," the "background psy image" was created using a particle generation program, maya, photoshop, and after effects. There are quite a few layers, which are more visable in print. Oh, and I did not use 3dSmax for the text, allthough it is made to look like volumetric lighting. So sorry I could not please you, but am very happy that you have voiced your opinion. I'll just have to try harder to please everybody next time. Oh, wait, that's not possible...

P.S. - If you don't like either of them, make your own...

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

Don't try to please us - you art is supposed to please yourself, and express your idea of eyecandy, Theorem.

I dig your cover, I'm a sucker for that watery bubbly effect, and it seems like there's a "vertical kaleidoscope" going on in there, giving the picture depth and atmosphere - it really hits a sweet spot in my eyes :)

Guest llazi

First of all I did made my own covers, two of them to be precise, but that's not the problem. You sad you worked the image in different programs. ok but tell me did you have something in mind when you started working or did it just come out prog after prog. I think the 2 one is what u did and that's the problem.

There is no real IDEA behind the cover. Don't take it wrong just look at the cover and see it as a whole product. you get nothin.

Now my suggestion is continue workin on the programs but don't let them tell you what you schould do, You schould use the progs as a posibility to express your self.

Keep it on. :)

Guest blink

tell you what llazi, send me a pic of something you have done. i bet that it may have all the "feeling" in the world, but is still aesthetically deficient in every aspect. let me guess, you did a couple of hack photoshop pieces, and think cause you know the name of a few good programs that you can editorialize? haha, i virtually laugh at your ill placed candor (deep bravado in voice). i welcome you to critique my work (http://organicparadox.com/gallery.php). and this forum gives you the opportunity to defend your water-weak artistic idealisms. tell you what, why don't you post a link to something you made that better describes what the cover should have looked like.

note: theorem, your picture is very nice. professionally done, and although the image has been ramped down in quality, i can see the detail that was put into it.

note: llazi, to identify a problem is not enough. try giving constructive criticism (proposed solutions), before posting again

Guest Elementa

llazi, please make a better one... I am very in to design and graphics, and i think that cover looks darn good. The psy effect in the background brings out all the elements you need. Very deep. And the text, could it have been placed better? Don't think so. And it does not have to be a 3Dmax text, might aswell be Photoshop. In my eyes, it looks like you are a bit jealous somehow.

Guest wouter

Who cares how a piece is constructed? It's the result that counts and Theorem's result is beautiful.

And what is this bullshit about 'expression'?

Are you some goatee-stroking art-critic that hangs around in museums all day or something? who cares what the artist was trying to express? Like every abstract piece it's up to the viewers imagination.

In fact I wanted to express zilch when I made my piece (the pink one), all I wanted to make is a far-out image.

Constructive critisism is welcome, but I think you're just wasting your time with whining and trying to put down something someone worked on with care.

Piece

Guest Elementa

One more thing.. As i am a musician (as everyone else here) i most often does not have any real idea before i start making a tune, whats the fun of that? Then you allready know what the results will be. I get inspiration from my gear, and from life. And it all spits right out of me while i'm making it. To play with one of the synths is very inspirational, there you shape your sounds. Same principal in graphics, it all comes as you make it. Even if i had an idea, it never turns out like what i had in mind, mostly better. Because while you work on something, new ideas pop up all the time. Sometimes i've gone through several different styles making only one track.

Tell me one thing, what was your purpose, your idea when you made this topic?

Go find yourself...

Guest llazi

Hey maybe you misunderstood me.

1.to Blink. Tell you what, you can express your self without the insults. try giving some arguments against my ideas.

"tell you what llazi, send me a pic of something you have done. i bet that it may have all the "feeling" in the world, but is still aesthetically deficient in every aspect"

jeez u didn't even know how my cover looks like man

2. to Elementa. It's not jealousy. If I had the pick I would have chosen two very good covers wich I don't remember the numbers and are not mine.

You know that one, with the person wich was faded in two others, that was kick ass with a idea behind.

3. Just to remind you, my covers are at tug.i8.com

Guest blink

well, to stop this flame post now, i will apologize if you felt offended. your original post was rather crass and inconsiderate of the effort, time, and attention to detail of the artists chosen (wouter/theorem).

jealousy, inadequacy, ineptitude....maybe those are harsh words to describe your post. but feel welcome to label me as over-defensive. sorry to say, but using your art as a basis of comparison, your opinions come across rather empty-handed.

expand

blink

-no animals were harmed in the making of this post-

Guest llazi

You don't need to stop this post and I'm not offended.

I just wanna make a constructive discussion about the selected covers.

The post above was my idea of the selected covers and expected a bit more understanding but if you think that all of the thousand of visitors that come to psynews.org will like the cover, then you're totally wrong.

So don't take my post as an isult just because i didn't like the cover.

I think that the covers are good, but I would have choosen another one.

peace :)

Guest moni

you guys forgot that the music is more important than the cover .. who cares about your oppinions and critics? a cover must be liked by the eye.. you don't start to meditate upon the cover .. you go for the music ..

what if there would have been a hot naked gurl on the cover?

Respect

Guest DJINN

Using a program like 3dsmax or lightwave3d or maya etc.... is not as easy as one might think.

Have you even tried to use the particle emitter in lightwave 7 ? its easy to use if you want to generate random crap, but if you want to actually use it to plot objects in a certain direction or speed or gravity etc... you have to know how to use the features. and its not that easy.

Ive been using lightwave 3d for over 3 years, and I still haven't learn't how to do everything. The fact about 3d programs is that each user can have their own style because you can do the same things using different techiques, and those techniques are created by users.

The fact that you are stating the word 3dsmax in your 1st post shows you only added it in to prove you know what your talking about, when infact you just disliked the cover. You say using 3dsmax like its a bad thing, when the truth of the matter is that one must use a program like, 3dsmax, lightwave, maya, photoshop etc... to create 3d effects. what the hell would you like artists to use, paint brushes on a canvas, then scan it into the computer ?

Say you dont like the cover, dont attack the methods of its creation.

Guest wouter

Llazi: critisism is taken seriously, especially when it's comes from a fellow artist who's work I respect.

I was taking you seriously, but I think you played all your cards when you gave the link to your own submissions (www.tug.i8.com)...LOL 8)

Here's some critisism from me: I don't care what process you've gone through to create them (for all I care you used peanut butter and jelly on canvas), but the endresult still looks like it's done by a 10 year old playing around with photoshop for the first time....infact it bares alot of resemblance with some of the drawings my 6 year old nephew brings back from school sometimes.

What were you trying to 'express'? Picknick, a plaid?

So better turn some of your own critisism towards yourself before you start slagging off other artists who obviously have more skills and imagination.

I actually voted for your blue cover, llazi. I also feel the two selected covers are a little mainstream and cliche at this point. Extremely effective, but unoriginal. But maybe that's what this little site's covers need to get more attention - maybe if our covers look like all the other covers out there people will take them seriously.

Honestly, I think people are scared to be original. By being original one always runs the risk of not being liked by as many people as possible. It's easier and more comfortable to go with the establishment. No risk involved. My thoughts. :)

Guest theorem

I dont want to get off on a rant here, but what exactly is unoriginal about my cover? Mainstream? Cliched? The cover I made was an artistic expression of how I see this style of music; as a huge burst of crystalic light and energy. I felt that layering it with fractals gave it a sence of depth, and the band across the center where I put the text tied the whole thing together. Perhaps my layout was not all that complex, very centered and even. However, that was what I wanted to do with this one, make a detailed, colorfull background, and a simple, but bold header. And I think that the coolest part is that Wouter has done the opposite, and has some really killer design and layout in his piece. So I feel that the finals are well justified, the two covers are contrasting in a number of ways, each offering something that the other doesn't have.

This forum has taken on a really nasty tone. It seems that we have all of the people whose @!#$ did'nt get voted for bitching at the ones who did get voted for. I liked most of the other covers, (the first one to really catch my eye was Ilazi's blue cover, one of the nicer ones in the contest) and if any of them were to win instead of mine, hey that would be great. Even if I thought the cover was shite, I would just accept it as the word of the people.

If you actually want to critique my work, or anybody else's work, that's great; but critiques usually run a little deeper than "I feel that these covers are a little too mainstream" or "...there's no idea behind it." If you are going to offer up any critisism, at least make it constructive.

Anyhoo, that was me up on the soap box.

Hope you all had as much fun as I did... ; )

Guest llazi

Hey children, if it's not a problem for you, could you show the result of the poll.

I think it's interesting to see that. thanks

Guest AgalactiA

EA,

I agree with you totally,

but I hope to see in psychedelic trance scene - which is somehow still underground, ppl that don't care about choosing original stuff and then feel ashamed or I don't know what else. This scene is about originality after all - when you hear an unoriginal track - u seem not to like it so much - imho of course.

Philip

Theorem - Firstly, I must apologize for my negativity. I think I must have been in a cynical mood when I wrote what I did.

I did say your design was extremely effective. *Both* running designs are solidly executed and reflect the established idea of psychedelia perfectly.

All I'm saying is I could grab at least a dozen or more albums from my collection that share the same features as these two designs (whereas, for instance, I wouldn't be able to find one that looks like llazi's blue cover). I'm a huge fan of originality and innovation. If something looks like something that has come before it, well, frankly I get frustrated that things are not progressing.

One of the ideas that bugged the crap out of me in both art and architecture school was the seemingly omnipresent idea of "precedent." Professors used the word like it was air or water. I understand the importance of using precedents from history, but at some point to really create our own branch of history we have to use what we've learned from the past then break from it. For instance, I'll be very happy to see fractals and 3D blobs finally disappear from the psy designer's lexicon.

:) EA

Guest theorem

Fair enough, I understand that I wasn't breaking any ground here, I just wanted to create something that would look pretty. Perhaps you could find something that looked like mine, but only vaugely. (or maybe there is something out there that looks alot like it, I dont know.) llazi's cover was pretty original, however it does remind me of the way that the 4cd set from organic looks (maybe just the text, I know he didn't put a smiling mushroom on there!) But the bottom line is that most of the entries (about 90% of them) looked like something that you would see, or have seen somewhere before. And for the others that were "original" (or at least original to psytrance) looked like they needed a few more revisions.

It just kinda sucks that you dismiss my work thinking that I whipped this out in an hour while staring at some old album cover. I am not trying to bitch, but I want to defend my work, even if some people are all bitter about it. What do you want? Do you want something that is not deep? Something that is not multi layered? Something that does not even reflect the nature and sound of the music. I am all about creativity and originality, and I really don't think my work looks unoriginal. OK, fractals are overdone, but I tried to use them in a different way, by overlaying them to give depth. And as for the "3D blobs," yes I know they are used alot, but this system of particles is a bit more intricate than a few metaballs thrown onto the stage. If this cover ever goes to print, perhaps you will see that there is more detail than you can see here. But a better guess is that you would not even buy it, because the cover wasn't "original." Whatever.