Does it play in your head?

I went to a party last night and this morning and afterwards i went to sleep. I had a very long dream that I was still in the party... ehh huhuhu LOL and heheh I heard psytrance playing for a long time while sleeping. man... this is so fucking weird... but at the party there was ALLOT of minimal techno @!#$!! and i was dreaming i was DJing and everyone kept harassing me to play psytrance. So i was up there and i played psytrance... but it was playing in my head(in real life)!! ! so I kept this psytrance going so that people would be happy... i kept saying "i'll play psytrance" LOL over and over to myself... but i couldn't get any damn rest.. ah man it was just playing forever in my damn head while sleeping. What a werid ass dream. Psytrance has drugs in it. (i took nothing the whole night as usual)

wierd experience... I've had a similar ones after I listen to a LOT of killer songs I've never heard before. What's wierder is that the music that plays in my sleep doesn't sound like the tracks I heard. It's like my brain summarized all the great songs I heard and made a big track out of them. When I wake up, it's all in my head and I'm thinking "man, if I had some music making equipment, I'd make the best track ever with what's in my head"... but half an hour later it's all gone...

Guest Slidingtrancer

You have the mind of a musician, I think every musician or producer has that. At least the ones I met... Anyway, I always make songs in my head, but they come out quit differently which encourages me to go on every time until I get it exactly right and the killer track is there..

Well anyway, my two cents

Guest spirit_dancer

lol..iv had the same thing...so im sure its a common thing. but i wish i could remember the tracks playin' in my head for longer...those are the best iv ever heard...and to think that my unconscious mind made it up:)

with my its different. i dream about music i haven't heard for a longer time (doesn't have to be psytrance) and then wake up and think: wooow, i have to listen to this cd right now!

Guest phaeton

this happens to me too ocassionally .. i remember how i have had the most insane psytrance patterns blasting through my head for the entire day after i went to my first psytrance party .. even though i was on mushrooms at that party, their effects had already worn off when i left and those patterns just kept on playing in my head for _hours_ .. =) needless to say, i couldn't sleep, no matter how hard i tried to ;)

but this often happens to me to a lesser extent as well when i haven't taken any drugs (well, except for grass) at the party .. it's is a pretty cool inspiration source when you're making music, and i'm sure there are many artists out their who use this 'tool' to get inspired ;)

Me i'm sure this means you love an audience, although they can overwhelm you at times..... and you WANT to make music/entertain people!

I don't know about the dream being unusually "strange" though. Every dream i can remember is so fucked-up it's unbelievable.... that's what dreams are.....

This is why somebody wakes up during a "bad dream" because everything starts getting WAAAAAAAYYY too crazy and suddenly their concious kicks in saying "NO! THIS CAN'T BE!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!" and you wake up.... "huh? what the @!#$ was that?"

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

maybe we'll have a "dreams" post..... (probably been done before I'm sure....)

this fourm moves too fast, and eratic and upredictable and illogical. Good posts are buired by pointless bitching posts... anyway...

Dreams when your sick or ill or physicaly drained in some way are the most erie ... at least for me they are. They just so damn obscure and unexplainable. I get so damn confused in my dreams. Sometimes I wonder if it's a transistion between realities, trying to hide it's self. thats what i feel like when i'm in there... or just waking up.. heheh

spirit dancer i've expericned something similar! ...after messing with my piano I go to bed... and some times i'll be half way "between 2 worlds" unconcious and concious. And the most incrediably beautiful melodies will come to me @!#$ i've never heard... i'll be literlly playing them with my mind... not just one though... it's Many.. and I play them all at the same time and controll each key... it seriously is like being in extacy... but if i tried to get up and actually play the damn melodies physicaly it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible 4 me (i'm no pianoist). i've never get up though.. I just never want to leave that moment. But it doesn't last long, as soon as i loose all conciousness it goes... (heh gotta get some damn sleep sometime)

Guest space^madness

i know exactly what you mean. i've had lucid dreams, astral projection/oobe's (out-of-body-experience) before, and still have them (meditation is the key, or an active mind). about 5-6 of those experiences i've heard music while i'm in a dreamworld being consciosness about my state. i know i'm sleeping and dreaming, who i am, where i am (sometimes in some really bizarre places that can't really be explained).

you're off to do anything you desire. my favourite is still to fly, the faster the better, do loops, dive down to the ground and make a nice smooth turning-up just before you hit it. just to feel the speed and control of your body and mind. truly amazing. on top of that, music fills your dreamworld. heaven^_^

Guest etherdesign

I've also experienced this phemenomenon many a time after a loud party.. I have mainly attributed it to the ears and the brain being around such a high dB level for such an amount of time that it kind of pounds it into the brain.. but the brain, in it's attempt to make it more of your taste, will change it sometimes.. the main thing that is repetitve at psy parties is the beat, usually dj's will go an hour set without changing the bpm, and if they do it will probably be slight.. after these beats are imbedded in your brain through over-stimulus they will be stuck there, and thence, you have a pattern going in your brain, and because of all the other over-stimulation (fluoro, blacklights, lasers, strobes, artwork, conversation, exertion through dancing, watching a crowd of dancing people) these sensations are recorded by the brain as various data.. the main cause of the sleeplessness is over-stimulation.. but the cause, i believe, of the melodies and such, is the ever-logical mind trying to make sense of all the different patterns of sound, light, movement, etc that was seen/heard/smelled/etc.. and thus all these wonderful melodies..

Have you ever heard on the 'Axis Mutatis' album by 'The Shamen' a track called 'S2 Translation'.. it is a translation to MIDI and played through various instruments (I guess of the Shamen's choice, any sound could be there though).. but it is the translation of the neurotransmitter Serotonin which is an immensely important neurotransmitter in our brains.. it is a beautiful song, but it was made by taking scientific data and translating it directly to midi..

This is a bit of a work around.. we all have melodies in our heads sometimes.. most of them are pretty original.. but the art of getting that tune from the mind to the sequencer/paper/piano/harpist is the work of a musician.. and I believe that, with enough pacience and time, anyone can be a musician.. technique can be learned, but what most people don't take time to learn is having the music flow, from the mind to the fingertips/mouth or whatever you use to play your instrument... this is the same as speaking in tongues.. letting impulses, positive and negative, flow through you as a conduit... this is purely melodic though IMO, sorry to all the minimal lovers, but I am speaking on a pretty much classical music level here, which can be translated to any sort of melodic music.. that is not to say that your being is not putting through you a bunch of odd noises.. although that is probably rare.. for the most part, as in life, the tones are varied.

sounds like a facinating track... i gotta hear it. i've been told there is an ambient track that was made by recording sounds comming from space... i have no idea how they did it but i was told there is some music composed that way. I also have no idea who what the name is.... :(

I wonder if after recording the sounds from space they mess with it much... or after translating scientific data to midi.. (which I don't understand at all).. I think if they change it too much it looses it's virtues and becomes fake.

ehh interesting but I'm really skeptic of those kinds of ....things. I mean really they'd like to say your listining to the sounds of DNA or whatever but... actually what your hearing is the program's response to diffrent characters/combos in a data file. And the program was designed by a human who had just decided to assign a note to a combonation or character.

You can't understand the brain unless do don't have one. You can't see the truth from only 1 perspective. You can't see the whole box, if your inside it. This is usually what I say in response to psychology... but it works here too.